Pelican hard cases - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pelican hard cases

does anyone have any input about the pelican hard cases (1500) would they make good bags for the odd long weekend get away. Price point is a factor

buckshot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 AM

my brother has them on his Wee Strom and they are good cases. What they lack in styling they make up for in durability. He laid over his bike a couple of times and the pelican bags took the brunt of the fall. The bags have a few gouges in them but suffered no real damage.

Versys with pelican cases on SW Motec racks
http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000180

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM

I've seen a Pelican case ad in which a Toyota 4 Runner had a front wheel parked on a Pelican case and it worked afterward. My DR650 tipped over a couple of times with them on and no real damage was done. They can save lots of body work and other hard parts. They are the toughest cases made and I'm sold on them. I will attach some pictures. The cases on the DR are 1520s and the ones on the Versys are 1550s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DR650 September 08 003.jpg (726.0 KB, 687 views)

Last edited by Aleeoop; 06-25-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: pictures not included

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Sorry, my computer won't let me post the pictures of the Versys with the cases but they look good on it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the photos. I've been trying to figure this out for a month for my new V. Pelicans or something else. I use Pelican's for my photo gear and they are tough. Price is right as well.

- Zac
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM

I have the 2100's on Hepco-Becker racks and love them. I don't have a camera yet so I can't post any pics.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 PM

I saw the pelican boxes on twisted throttle for the first time today (been looking at bags and gear haulers) and thought they were a big bang for the $$ just like the bike is.

My take is if you're not going to get the fancy G35's painted to match your bike, then everything else is just a box. I don't think they look better or worse than the aluminum boxes. They're all just boxes. These seem to be very durable and weatherproof. I like. Very functional.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV76X View Post
Thanks for the photos. I've been trying to figure this out for a month for my new V. Pelicans or something else. I use Pelican's for my photo gear and they are tough. Price is right as well.
These are 35Liter bags. I forget the model number but they won't hold a full face helmet. There are some that will though. They pack great, are very tough and easy to install/take off. I got them through Caribou and Roger was great at helping me with which bags I needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kmw sailboat 2.jpg (413.1 KB, 1199 views)

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM

What racks are you guys using with the pelicans? Are there any additional mounting brackets needed?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm going to use the Happy-Trail racks unless there is some unforseen issue, second would be Hepco & Becker. Caribou uses the HB. They have a quick connect system from the inside of the box, and HT has a screw knob and billet rack tabs that thru-bolt through the case. Twisted Throttle has a very nice quick-connect system that works with SW Motech racks, much like the fancy Givi bags and racks. They just snap on with outside clips and catch. But they only work with motech racks and they won't work on my bike because I have no fender. Or so they told me.

Pelican boxes can also be hard mounted with nuts and bolts as well. I will be using the HT attach hardware pack, it's like $50 and made to fit their racks. I'm sure it's what they use for their aluminum boxes. And they are also offering the pelican boxes now, setup and pre-drilled if you want them.

There are several models/sizes of both pelican hard cases and pelican storm cases that will work on these bikes, depending on how large or compact your aim is. By far the most popular have been the Pelican 1550. I think Twisted Throttle is doing theirs now with the storm iM2600 cases.

My take is if you're loading them with liners or stuff sacks they don't need to come off of the bike. Especially the made to fit inner bags, gear can be easily transported off the bike. Still, a quick release system would be nice for hoteling it, carry them in like luggage. That's what the fancy euro bikes do.

All three of these rack systems come with all the hardware. I think the only one that isn't compatible with the motech topbox rack are the givi and oem kawi ones. The happy-trail ones don't even attach to the same connect points on the bike.

Thumpers bike looks killer, nice setup. And I kind of like the gray cases JDROCKS has on his. I may even consider going that way. But again, since my bike is already all black it may make sense to just get the black boxes to match.

I also have to decide if I'm going to mount the boxes level with the road or even with the seat slope.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 AM

Also, no sense in paying a premium for the pelican cases. Get them From a place like adorama.com or just about any online camera supply. I currently
have the HT aluminum boxes but may grab a couple pelican cases.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 AM

I have the HB racks and used electrical conduit clamps to hold bags on. Cost less then $5.00.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 PM

I'm thinking of using one of the smaller ones for a top box. Like a 16" wide or so, about the width of the bike without bags.

The expanding bags they put on the new BMWs are really nice. A pelican looks almost as nice, it just can't expand. Oh well. I don't really need to put a helmet in one anyway.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode