How to wire foglights with multiple input switches? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Question How to wire foglights with multiple input switches?

I'm looking to supplement my high/lows, stealthily. I installed OPT7 H7 LED for the HB but it isn't throwing as far as I'd like, I'll try installing for the LB later. Stock HB/LB bulbs are garbagio, or my night vision sucks.

Fogs can be independently activated at will
1. Wire a pair of 30* LED fog lights to a rocker switch to cowitness my crappy low beam for when I need it. (Not often b/c traffic) I'm considerate so I'd add a separate rocker, but I'd like to avoid extra stuff so I may not do #1 at all.

Fogs can be activated along with high beam with minimal effort
2. Wire those fog lights to the high beam rocker by connecting a 12v lead from the high beam bulb to each fog light. Is there an easier way without ripping apart my new bike?

All four lights can function as strobes if needed with minimal effort
3. Wire all four lights individually to a 2 or 4-way strobe box. Connect strobe box somehow to the high beam trigger switch on the left grip. This may include running a wire all the way from that switch which would suck as I'm sure it's connected directly to the rocker. Also considering a grip mounted pressure/push switch.

I've never hooked multiple inputs to a single output, will this work in 12v parallel? I just do car audio and simple automotive wiring. Do I need to fuse each LED wire, or run a relay? I figured #2 and #3 piggyback off of the stock wiring so they are fused if I go the simple route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you need one of these:

Skene Motorcycle Dimmer

Quote:
The IQ-170 and IQ-175 Intelligent Lighting Controllers from Skene Design allow you to quickly and conveniently set the brightness of your auxiliary lights to match riding conditions. Often auxiliary lights are too bright or have too wide a lighting pattern to operate at full power during the day or under certain road conditions. With Skene Design's innovative intelligent lighting controllers you can pre-program several different brightness settings and with the flick of a switch immediately select the desired brightness.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modake View Post
Stock HB/LB bulbs are garbagio, or my night vision sucks.
Easily the best lights on any motorcycle I have ever owned.

Heaps better than the stock headlight on my ZRX1200

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM

well without the strobing effect you simple would wire the lights to a relay that can have multiple trigger inputs.
don't want to strobe a relay though.

you could have a spdt switch after the relay that then switched the lights between solid on and strobe.

that should work with no backfeeding issues.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 07:36 PM

Garage
I added a pair of these 10W Cree LED. I removed the reflectors off the front fender sides. Used Loctite Blue, and mounted. Ran the wiring up the brake line and since I had upgraded the low beam to a Cyclops LED (it has individual wires for +/-) I added inline adaptors to include the 10w's with headlight. So the load on the line is back to H7 55w. This way they are off until engine is running and I wont ever forget to turn them off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
I added a pair of these 10W Cree LED. I removed the reflectors off the front fender sides. Used Loctite Blue, and mounted. Ran the wiring up the brake line and since I had upgraded the low beam to a Cyclops LED (it has individual wires for +/-) I added inline adaptors to include the 10w's with headlight. So the load on the line is back to H7 55w. This way they are off until engine is running and I wont ever forget to turn them off.
Wow what a great idea to mount them there. I installed a 9" bar under the headlight but I want more.

I'm most likely going to somehow wire the high beam to the low beam so both are constant-on (with LED bulbs) and re-aim the high. Then wire the fog array to the highbeam.

I still don't know how the high beam temporary switch works, but later I plan to output that to an LED strobe.

If the headlight assembly is indeed the same as the 13-15 Ninja 300, then these guys offer a dual HID kit which are wired to the lows anyways. 2013 - 2015 Ninja 300 H1 HID BiXenon Projector headlights kit with angel eyes halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode