Admore lighting LED strip install question??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Admore lighting LED strip install question???

Just got my admore lighting kit for my Givi e460. I've popped off the red reflecter and am installing the LED strips. My question is, can I use double sided tape to keep the LED strips in place??? I noticed the back of the strip is bare soldering so I'm not sure if it's safe to have standard 3M double sided tape directly contacting it. Is this safe???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
Just got my admore lighting kit for my Givi e460. I've popped off the red reflecter and am installing the LED strips. My question is, can I use double sided tape to keep the LED strips in place??? I noticed the back of the strip is bare soldering so I'm not sure if it's safe to have standard 3M double sided tape directly contacting it. Is this safe???
Perfectly OK . I did mine the same way and have some 10K on the bike without any problem. You might want to wire it to the brake by connection to the brake switch at the back brake pedal.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Perfectly OK . I did mine the same way and have some 10K on the bike without any problem. You might want to wire it to the brake by connection to the brake switch at the back brake pedal.
THANKS! Man, I'm in the middle of this job right now and I kinda freaked out for a moment thinking I was gonna fry my system or something! I just didn't see how else I'd keep those strips in place. Thanks again!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

and drop a line with picture's once your done.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 AM

Yes, right on about using those double sided tapes.

However, IMHO, if we are talking about the e460 top case, I would tap from my rear brake light wiring. It's closer to the box and hides them wires.

There are 3 wires for your brake light. Use a multimeter to find the wire which has electrical flow when you press down you brakes. This is what I did when I had my Givi maxia E52.

And Yes, drop us some pics.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 06-24-2010 at 12:40 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Yes, right on about using those double sided tapes.

However, IMHO, if we are talking about the e460 top case, I would tap from my rear brake light wiring. It's closer to the box and hides them wires.

There are 3 wires for your brake light. Use a multimeter to find the wire which has electrical flow when you press down you brakes. This is what I did when I had my Givi maxia E52.

And Yes, drop us some pics.

Yeap ! you can do that too. I had one flasher installed there , so didn't want to overload the circuit, thus the brake switch. Both mode works fine.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so the install took me about 2 1/2 hours last night, only because I couldn't decide where I wanted to drill the case for the quick disconnect connector and I was super picky on lining those LED strips up just perfect!

The overall install was fairly easy. I still haven't permanently taped down the wires inside the case yet, still debating on how I want to do that. The instructions tell you to mount the LED's one side at a time and only unscrew one side of the red reflector strip at a time. I found this extremely difficult, so I just removed the entire strip from the case. It was a WAY easier to install the lights this way.

The instructions were great for the most part, but there were a couple things I was confused on. For example, it really doesn't explain how you mount the strips themselves, hence the reason for my question about the tape! It also doesn't give you any suggestions on how to tape down the wire inside the case.

The lights themselves are definitely bright, but not as bright as I though they'd be. The lights work with everything: tail light, brake light, turn signals and even the emergency flashers. It was dark out when I finished so I pulled the bike out and had my wife stand aways back from the bike. She said the LED's ad a ton of visibility to the back end. I haven't really tested it during the daytime yet, but I think it will be about the same as the standard tail light during the day.

One thing I didn't realize though is that the the standard Backoff module I have installed, won't work with these LED's. I emailed admore before I bought the kit and asked, and they said it would work. But I come to find out the Backoff XP is the one that works with the kit. No biggie though, I actually prefer not having the LED's flash with my brake light. It could get kinda confusing for other motorists, like when I'm at a stop light with my turn signal on (LED's are flashing with that) and then I hit my brake. If the Backoff made the LED's flash with that, and the turn signal is making it flash too, that could just get too crazy. So I'm just going to keep it as is.

Wiring it into the harness was interesting. They provide 5 Posi-Tap connectors so you don't have to cut & splice anything. These are great and super easy to use, but they add a TON of bulk to the harness now so I haven't quite figured out how I want to "hide" all that bulk. I ran the main harness line alongside the Givi rack where it bolts just under the hand rail. I then zip tied the line to keep it from moving and overall I'm pleased with how it looks.

I rate this install a 6/10 for difficulty. I've had a little experience with electrical systems before so I knew what I was getting into, but there were still some "bumps" that came up that I had to figure out. I'd say anyone who has never spliced a wire before could do this, but it'd be a challenge for them.

I know the pics aren't great, but here's some pics of the install. My good point and shoot broke so these were taken with my iPhone. My wife said she'd go out with me tonight and get some good pics with her dSLR so I'll post those when I can. For now:

Inside of the case, not sure how I'm going to tape down the wires yet. I really wish they made the inside connector a right angle too. Having the connector stick out into the inside of the case concerns me a bit. I'm worried about putting stuff in there and damaging that connector:

Wire jungle, the Posi-Taps are great but very bulky

You can kinda see the quickdisconnect. Bottom left of the case

With the seat on, it's fairly obscure and not that many people will notice it.

Tail lights on, getting those strips perfectly even on both sides was a bit of a chore.

Last edited by jchristian79; 06-24-2010 at 11:34 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode