Great GPS deal - $50 off Garmins at Best Buy - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to leshall Send a message via Skype™ to leshall
Smile Great GPS deal - $50 off Garmins at Best Buy

Best Buy has the Garmin Nüvi 200W on sale for about $190. This downloadable coupon knocks $50 off any Garmin GPS at Best Buy. So you get a new Nüvi 200W for about $150 including tax.

Now this isn't a waterproof device and some may not like the way it works or looks but you can get a RAM mount and waterproof box for it. I only got mine today and have not had a chance to try it out. The screen is bright and large. I have an original Quest and will try and compare them both tomorrow. The Nüvi obviously doesn't have all the features that the little waterproof Quest has but the screen is about four times as large and for my aging eyes... well it's just so much easier.

Of course you could also use the $50 off on other Garmin GPS models they carry.

Les, Dallas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Well sadly the Nuvi 200W is not going to work out for me as a bike GPS. The Quest screen although seemingly tiny is so much better in full sunshine. But the 200W is a pretty neat GPS anyway and better than the old Magellan I have in the car so I think I'll keep it anyway. I have the voice set up as "British English" and it sounds like the BBC guiding your way!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Question

whats a good mount for a gps on the versys?
I don't even know what to look for, or even where to begin looking.
Also... I'm assuming you have to mod the bike so that you have a lighter hook up to plug into... is this correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

I like RAM mounts they are very solid and make versions for most GPS units out there. A lot of GPS units these days run on batteries so a 12v connection isn't as important as it used to be.

Hope that helps. Les
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 PM

I have Speedy's wind shield mount and it is awesome. Since is abbove the speedo it is easier to take a peek at it when you are riding. I guess it will only work if you have a mount that connects to a flat surface. I have a Zumo 550 and it is the perfect spot for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2676.jpg (74.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2677.jpg (57.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2678.jpg (74.2 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by sharrison56; 07-30-2008 at 07:07 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM

"...but you can get a RAM mount and waterproof box for it. "
Les, Dallas.

I'm curious about the waterproof box you mention. I have a Nuvi 350 that I've had for two years and I absolutely love. I would prefer not to spend big money on an additional GPS just for the V. Have you actually seen a waterproof box made for the task, or are you speaking in generalities? I'd be up for trying what I have out and proving it won't work before I spend more money....

Jeff
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 PM

and Les.....what part of Dallas are you in and how long have you had your V? I live in McKinney and work in North Dallas. Maybe we can get a group together some time to meet for a Starbucks or whatever.

Jeff
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I have Speedy's wind shield mount and it is awesome. Since is abbove the speedo it is easier to take a peek at it when you are riding. I guess it will only work if you have a mount that connects to a flat surface. I have a Zumo 550 and it is the perfect spot for it.
Ah... see I like this set up, so how do I find out if my gps will fit? Or are there different plastic casings for individual gps units that then mount to the flat mount?
also... being windshield mounted, it mounts with just suction right? are you not worried that it will just fall one day? is it secured somehow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 PM

oh wait... now i see that it is actually mounted onto the windshield mounts... makes sense. so the mount fits the versys windshield without having to modify anything?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Speedy makes them specifically for the V. The bracket mounts with a screw in one of the windshield bracket holes, so you can position it up or down. The plate doesn't have any mounting holes in it. You drill your own. As long as your GPS mount will attach to a flat surface you should be in good shape. Speedy does really nice work!!!

Last edited by sharrison56; 08-01-2008 at 06:49 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:47 AM

One of the best things about having the GPS mounted there is that if it displays your speed, you have an accurate speedo! My Zumo 550 also records my rides and the MapSource software that comes with it will let you edit and print your ride.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogdaddy View Post
and Les.....what part of Dallas are you in and how long have you had your V? I live in McKinney and work in North Dallas. Maybe we can get a group together some time to meet for a Starbucks or whatever.
Hey Jeff

RAM make a box that has some kind of clear flexible membrane so you can control thru it. Go to the RAM web site and search for your GPS unit. I was surprised to see they have one for the iPhone.

As for my Versys - I pestered Kawasaki City in Irving until they got one in and went and bought it straight away. I just checked and I got it September 7th. I have had Honda Transalp and Suzuki V-Strom - like that kind of bike.

I live in Kessler Park which is in N Oak Cliff right near downtown. Yes PM me and we can meet for coffee or something half way. Hot enough for you? In case anyone else is reading it is 100 - 107f every day in Dallas right now and even riding in t-shirt is stinking hot. As for your head in a helmet. Oy vey.

Les
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 AM

I needed a quick, easy way to mount our StreetPilot c330 for our vacation ride. Just stuck the car mount between the dash and windscreen. Used a small bungee to keep it stuck. There is a small dash mat between the unit and the windscreen. Ran into a short but intense rain storm, not a drop on the GPS at speed. Had to plug it in as the battery is only good for about five hours of continuous use.
Just a little Redneck but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode