I said id never need to get any aftermarket farkles.....Tons of new parts inside! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Madstad, givi, firstgear, motowerk......

I was the guy who got this bike and said, "ill never need any mods or anything, its not that big a deal to me." One year later and my first bike is growing.

In the search for less head buffeting on the bike and for some noise reduction, here are the mods that i feel have been worth the money.

Windjammer2. Its a neoprene "condom" for your helmet. Really helps reduce wind noise but also takes some of the air flow away form inside the helmet which in turn increases heat, but for me its not enough to not use it.

Purchased off of ebay, 24 bucks shipped.

Next, i went to the hearing aide shop in my building and got some custom ear plugs. 120 bucks. Not cheap, but the best money i have spent so far, they stay in and don't move. Big improvement over my throwaways. Andi have 60 days to change the style and shape for free.

New version of the Madstad bracket, i guess its beefier than previous models. This should come stock on every bike. Helped big time when dialing in my new screen and lip.

New angle....

Givi screen and Laminar lip. The givi was fine, but not quite cutting it for me, im 6-1 and actually sit up straight on the bike. So i added a Laminar Lip to it. The end result is great, but since there is not specific place you should put the lip, it made the final resting place a pain in the ass to find. So id recommend the Lip to those of you with patients and time to screw around with duct tape while dialing it in for your specific needs. Mine actually took my 3 weeks to get right where i wanted it and get the best results. I'm very picky. Yes, it clears the levers and mirrors with extenders.

Mirror extenders, had them for a while, go buy some, these should have been stock as well.

New FIRST GEAR saddle bags. I have these mounted on the sw motek side racks. I just couldn't spend 450 bones on hard bags, just couldn't do it. These bags are great, they are expandable and have water proof covers inside of them. Good stuff. Cost me 120 at the local bike shop where the V came from.
I added two more d ring mounts to each bag because i like over kill and wanted two more places to tie them down with.

I think i did a good job of sewing by hand and putting a rivet in each! So far they are holding up well.

I don't think im completely done mounting the bags, i have to play with my straps a little more so they look how i want them to. But they brought my sushi home just fine for dinner the other night.

And that's the givi trunk and sw rack on the back as well. Its been there for a year.

Lastly, i got my gf some foot peg lowering brackets. She said it has made a HUGE difference in how her knees feel after a ride and overall comfort. Now she is only 5 feet tall, so for those of you with taller passengers that don't have these yet, shame on you!

GPS mount is next, ill post that up after its done.

Last edited by mcampana; 06-19-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Hey mcampana -- All your mods look great. It's nice to be able to modify your ride to fit your own particular needs. I too was usually of the mindset that you don't mess with what comes out of the factory. But bikes are different. Not like cars that usually offer adjustable seats, pedals, etc.... As long as you can afford it, make it work for you. BTW, I was born in Cleveland and still have LOTS of family in North Royalton.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
got some custom ear plugs. 120 bucks.

and ride safe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:27 PM

Mcampana, super job and looks good.

guess the farkle part never ends...

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:00 AM

If your health insurance has a hearing aid benefit, it can usually be used for custom molded ear plugs.

I wear custom plugs and they make a huge difference. I cannot wear most of the disposable plugs because after many years of wearing them frequently and for long durations I have developed some sort of sensitivity to them which causes a lot of discomfort.

There are also cheaper ways to go for the custom plugs. You can buy kits and make your own or if you have a large gun show near you there are usually folks at these shows that will make them for you.

The kind you get at the hearing shops are usually a lot better but much higher priced.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:36 AM

Bike looks great. Farkling a bike is like the old Lays potato chip ad. You can't do just one. I ended up making a site to chronicle my farkling addiction. http://www.versysfarklefest.com/ I have issues...I know.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Bike looks great. Farkling a bike is like the old Lays potato chip ad. You can't do just one. I ended up making a site to chronicle my farkling addiction. http://www.versysfarklefest.com/ I have issues...I know.

So true!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode