top case compatible with factory side cases? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
top case compatible with factory side cases?

Hello all!

I've bought a set of the kawa factory side cases for my V and subsequently read that the kawa top case is not compatible for some reason. Does anyone use a sturdy top case that will work with the factory side ones? I assume givi would have something but am not sure.

I apologize if this topic has been worn out in a previous thread.

Thanks to those that have helped me with other issues!

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM

I think that if you go with the Givi top case, it will be compatible with your Kawi side cases. Kawasaki use Givi for the side and SW-Motec for the top. The SW-Motec bracket for the top case replaces the side handles next to the seat and interferes with the side case bracket. The Givi top case bracket goes underneath the side case bracket and shares two connection points.

Last edited by drumdaddy; 06-19-2010 at 11:59 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 PM

I have the SW motech side racks and the shad top case and they work together well....if that helps at all

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I was going to try and get a top case to go with my side cases, but got an Axio tailbag from New Enough and that works for me. Holds my gloves, GPS, camera and other stuff, so the big stuff can go in the side cases. And it looks pretty good too! Just a thought...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning a long tour and need a bit more storage (looking for a larger volume top case). I'll probably go with a back pack strapped to the back between the side cases for the time being but really like being able to lock my stuff up.

I'll keep looking.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 AM

Meetatch69-

You can make the OEM Kawasaki sidecase racks (made by Givi) work with any top racks (including the OEM SW-Motech made racks) by hacksawing the welded grad handles off and grinding the mounting tab smooth.

I know this works as I did this and mounted the OEM top rack with the OEM sidecase racks.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdaddy View Post
I think that if you go with the Givi top case, it will be compatible with your Kawi side cases. Kawasaki use Givi for the side and SW-Motec for the top. The SW-Motec bracket for the top case replaces the side handles next to the seat and interferes with the side case bracket. The Givi top case bracket goes underneath the side case bracket and shares two connection points.
Sadly, Craig Dougan at Givi has just replied to my inquiry:

"We apologize but our top rack will not fit with the OEM side racks."

the search goes on...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednukey View Post
Meetatch69-

You can make the OEM Kawasaki sidecase racks (made by Givi) work with any top racks (including the OEM SW-Motech made racks) by hacksawing the welded grad handles off and grinding the mounting tab smooth.

I know this works as I did this and mounted the OEM top rack with the OEM sidecase racks.
That sounds like an interesting approach that I could try. Do you have pix of the work and the finished product?
thanks much for helping out!

Mitch
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeyatch69 View Post
Sadly, Craig Dougan at Givi has just replied to my inquiry:

"We apologize but our top rack will not fit with the OEM side racks."

the search goes on...
That is interesting- I'd love to see the OEM side racks to see how they differ. But here is a link to a site where they set put the Givi side and top cases.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ys-luggage.htm
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeyatch69 View Post
That sounds like an interesting approach that I could try. Do you have pix of the work and the finished product?
thanks much for helping out!
Mitch
No, I don't have any pics of the work. Not really anything to take a pic of, other than using the hacksaw, followed by using the grinder, followed by using a can of spray paint.

I do currently have the set-up on the bike, so I'll see if the batts in the camera are any good and try to take a pic or two.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 PM

Here's a pic of the OEM top rack (SW-Motech) and the OEM sideracks (altered Givi) mounted together - as requested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf racks.pdf (397.4 KB, 628 views)
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Waterproof duffle bag tied across the seat and the panniers with two bungee cords. Works great and dont cost a fortune.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:06 AM

OEM pannier (saddlebag) rails are Givi pannier rails
OEM top box (trunk) rack is made by SW Motech

OEM Top box rack and OEM pannier rails are incompatable and will not work

Givi make a top box (trunk) rack that works with the Givi and OEM pannier rails
SW Motech produce a V35 compatable pannier rail kit which (I believe but don't know) fits with the OEM top box rack

for a 2006..2009 Versys
http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...sys-650-06--09
for 2010 Versys
http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/...=Versys-650-10

so
2006..2009 versions use the 447 series parts

2010 use 450 series parts
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post

...well, technically they will, it just requires a couple hours of work...see above...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

SW Motech produce a V35 compatable pannier rail kit which (I believe but don't know) fits with the OEM top box rack

for a 2006..2009 Versys
for 2010 Versys

so

Has anyone else actually tried this?

Based on info here and elsewhere, I ordered the 447 topcase kit. I can now confirm Givi's response, they do not work with the factory bag mounts. The problem lies in the rear mount for the arms. Both the side case racks and the top case racks need to mount to the same location, and the brackets interfere with each other to the point that there is no way to get them to coexist.

This is on a 2009.

/Curt
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Factory side cases and Givi topcase

I have a blue 09' that came with the factory side cases and I did it with just a small amount of tweaking. I used a Givi FZ447 Top Rack Plate and a Givi 52 Maxia top case. I really like the set up but I had to tweak the bars that extend out towards the back of the bike just a little bit.

The problem is when you bolt the 2 pieces onto the area that holds the grab bars it's a really tight fit, but it can be done. When you do this the bars are then pointed a little bit too far in towards the center of the bike at the back end. This causes the top mounting plate holes not to line up with the bars mounting holes. All you need to do at this point is spread the bars outward a little bit.

I bolted them onto the bike and stuck a 12" screwdriver into the length of the bar (had to take the rubber/plastic plug out of the end). I held pressure outwards with the screwdriver and whacked the bar with a heavy rubber mallet. I hit it right about where the bar just starts to turn downwards and a little bit on the straight portion both places at the same time. I gave it 2 pretty good smacks and did the other bar. The bolt holes on the top plastic part (the top mount) that the top case bolts onto only liked about 3/16" lining up at this point. I gave each side one really small whack (with the same procedure as above) and it fit perfectly.

The whole process probably took me 5 min. longer than a straight forward install would have. Everyone told me it wouldn't work but I had a friend with the same toprack and I kept looking at it and measuring it. I decided it could work with a little tweaking. Glad I tried it as it didn't take as much rework as I thought it would and I am extremely happy with it, aaannd I can lock stuff up or take the case into the room if I want to.

I picked the Maxia case partly because there is an electrical connection (for lights) that goes onto the top mount that works without a connector that has to be attached to the top case. In other words you just place the top case on the mount and the electrical connection works with no wire hook up or connector between the top case and the mount.

Some of the other Givi cases may do the same thing, I'm not sure. I also like the amount of room in the Maxia. I cannot tell any difference in the handling of the bike with this size top case. However I am not a rider who pushes it to the extreme (just some times)

If a Givi top case is what you want, I'd say go for it unless you're just not comfortable with modifying things a little. It really wasn't that hard to do though.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go, JH
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stater61 View Post
I have a blue 09' that came with the factory side cases and I did it with just a small amount of tweaking. I used a Givi FZ447 Top Rack Plate
The only way I could see to get it even close was for the fz447 two-piece brackets to mount on top of the hard bag mounts. Is that the way you did it?

I don't mind a little fabricating/tweaking, but mine wasn't even close. Any chance you can grab a photo how you have the bracketry?

/Curt
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:

for a 2006..2009 Versys
for 2010 Versys

so

+1 On what healdem said, just get the givi rack for the top box and you will be all set. you can get it at twisted throttle.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5448/788/

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Just get all the nuts to where they are slightly threaded but not tight. With everything loose, it works. You'll then slowly start tightening everything up and it'll work :-)

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Waterproof duffle bag tied across the seat and the panniers with two bungee cords. Works great and dont cost a fortune.
I've been using the MotoPak GT-Roll bag for the past two years to haul my camping gear (uniforms for work trips) on my VFR and now on the Versys. It's a very sturdy bag with versatile mounting options, including two built-in bungee straps and a thick velcro strap (for attaching to backrests).It's water-resistant for most weather, but it still comes with a good rain cover. I like it much better than a tail trunk, especially on the VFR, so that weight is on the seat rather than up and behind the rear axle; it also holds a lot more than a tail trunk. It fits more than I need for regular camping, or a week's worth of off-the-bike clothing. Any bag on the back seat of the Versys makes it harder for me to get on and off, but for hauling the kitchen sink, I love the GT-Roll.
outdoorgb likes this.

2009 Versys. It blue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
compatibility, factory cases, luggage, top case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode