Just installed a Tall versys seat for the 2010 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just installed a Tall versys seat for the 2010

Following advices found on this very forum, I ordered a Tall Versys seat for the 2010 from Baldwin Motorbike Saddles. The other popular seat here is the Corbin, but I am not a big fan of the Corbin seat look.

I have to admit that I was very impressed with the quality of the Baldwin seat: The material is very sturdy, the assembly is impeccable and the look is awesome. My first rxn when I opened the box was: wow, that is a professional piece of work.

At 524$ (with the gel option), it is a bit pricy. But for me, at 6'2" and 34" inseam, it's not really an option: I have ridiculously long legs and the stock seat was killing me. Once you sit on the Baldwin seat, the 1st thing you notice, as advertised, is the neutral (leveled) riding position: no more humping the tank every time you break. It is 1 inch higher and got 1 inch more clearance in the back, so it's perfect for tall rider. As for the price, if you change your bike every 2 years, might not be an option. But I am cheap, so that's why I bought it (meaning I keep my stuff until they disintegrates).

Sorry for the photo quality (my garage lighting was too much for my camera).

Cheers,
Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01687.jpg (359.3 KB, 968 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01693.jpg (434.4 KB, 842 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01686.jpg (318.3 KB, 3400 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Good choice. the seat will feel even better in a week

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

It looks great! And comfy!!!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM

@ Mac029, Even with a 4" shorter inseam than yours, I feel that if my legs had more room to go further down by a couple of inches, the bike would get much more comfy, so I can imagine your situation. The seat to peg ratio is a bit on the short side.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 PM

It does look inviting.....and I LIKE the factory saddle. (6'-2",183#,35" inseam).
Go figure. Maybe I'm just Limber. Or, perhaps I just don't have anything to compare it too.
Food for thought.
As for the 'Baldwin', Now that's a nice piece of craftsmanship.
Many happy miles to you.
Peace.

Hmmmmmm...They have lime green thread!

Indeed.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 06-17-2010 at 11:30 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 AM

Nice looking saddle! Hope it works well for you.

Pet peeve of mine...I hate when manufacturers sew in their brand name tag in a way that you cannot remove it. That alone would cause me not to buy it. I like the clean look.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 AM

Awesome! I just modified my seat based on another thread recommandation, if i can't make it confortable enough will consider the Baldwind seat for sure.

Did anyone took place on the passenger seat yet? Was this confortable?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 AM

That looks great! I too have a 2010 and am also 6'2" with 34" inseam. I just ordered an Alaska Butt Pad. I do not yet have many miles on it so I can not really comment on the level of improvement. Initial impressions are that it exacerbates the sliding forward problem due to reduced friction between my butt and the pad.

Please keep us posted on on the comfort level as you put some miles on it. I have had a Corbin in the past(on a Bandit 1200) that I was fairly happy with but really like the look of your seat and the extra room it provides would be awesome.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Pet peeve of mine...I hate when manufacturers sew in their brand name tag in a way that you cannot remove it. That alone would cause me not to buy it. I like the clean look.
That irritates the hell out of me too. I remember when it used to be just the leather patch on jeans (and even though it was under the belt, I used to take it off) — Then came “Designer Jeans”... and now EVERYBODY puts their name tag on EVERYTHING!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Seat look great and $ too.
So far happy with Mod- Stock seat.Thanks for sharing.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

"Did anyone took place on the passenger seat yet? Was this confortable?"

Not yet. But based on the feel of the material, it looks like they put the same gel pad all the way back.

Like someone said, I'll give it a few hundred miles and report back on the improvement.

Cheers!
Mac
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I bet Loren would do the seat exactly like you want: sans brand patch. It's a custom seat each time. He'll talk to you about it personally. He'd probably put your name there if you wanted it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Nice looking, now that's putting your money where it counts!

"Ride Hard or Go Home Wild Hogs"

My Album:
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Seat "break-in"

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Good choice. the seat will feel even better in a week
Well, surprisingly enough, this is actually true. There is such a thing as a "break-in" period for the seat. After a good 200K miles since I switched to the Baldwin seat, it definitely feels much more comfortable.

Highly recommended, even at this price. (you actually pay for the rarity of the accessories supply, something Kawi has definitely dropped the ball on...)

Cheers,
Mac
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Garage
if any one is curious if the leather upgrade is worth the price its a simple "Hell Yes"

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM

I am 6'1" 205 lbs 34" inseam, haven't bought the bike yet, waiting to sell my car. Who can comment on the gel insert? carbon fiber weave? and I assume leather is a garage only option.

Planning on the 09 Candy Lime Green as a daily commuter.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamabrewski View Post
I am 6'1" 205 lbs 34" inseam, haven't bought the bike yet, waiting to sell my car. Who can comment on the gel insert? carbon fiber weave? and I assume leather is a garage only option.

The gel insert works well for me. I guess that all the foam will feel identical to the custom in terms of firmness (that is without the gel), because there is only so many foam density that exists out there. You still get the seat angle and the higher or lower setting with the custom, but I am guessing that you wont notice a difference in comfort unless you get the gel.

Hope this helps.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamabrewski View Post

I have the tall seat with leather and its in the garage at night but in the hot texas sun during the day without any issues i treat it with lexol leather conditioner once a week just wipe it on the seat your done.

Joseph

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-15-2010 at 10:10 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 PM

I have the same tall seat. It's a quality piece and Loren is great to deal with.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM

hmmm, the leather one does look nicer IMO.

of course i already own the corbin seatback and have like the corbins in the past. my vstrom seat by corbin may have been the single most comfy seat i ever had. the stock tiger seat was pretty good also, never thought to change it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode