Help! - I am scratching my V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help! - I am scratching my V

Hi All -

I have no idea what they are called, but I am looking for something to protect my V from boot scratches. This specifically happens on the metal plate on each side where your ankle ball meets the bike...I've seen a couple of pics of V's with a protective sticker or molded plastic? WHat are they called and where do I buy them?

If no one knows what I mean I can take a pic - but I am hopeful someone knows what I am talking about!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM

Mine were rubbed off so fast that I didn't get a chance to put anything on them. I have seen a lot of protectors for frames, but not for the "rearset" like portion that wore down so quickly. Good Luck!!!

If you google frame guards, you might find something. For example, something like these that you might be able to modify:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...me-Guards.aspx

Last edited by Sike; 06-10-2010 at 09:09 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This earlier post has some good info.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...on+fiber+paper

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Tnx - exactly what I was looking for - nice to find a color match (blue) but I will take the carbon fibre paper as a good looking stop gap.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 PM

It's so cool how no matter what anyone asks for, someone will post the answer. Its like ask.com on here!

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 06-10-2010 at 11:34 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
It's so cool how no matter what anyone asks for, someone will post the answer. Its like ask.com on here!
Being my first bike and all......I have to wonder, Are all branded forums so congenial and thoughtful.

Heck, even when you consider the buzzing problems and seat unhappiness...we all just rolls with it, bang our collective heads together and solve the problem.

Pretty darn cool if ya ask me.
(Except....I still haven't found any recommendations (here at our forum)for a really good chrome polish?????
...go figure ...

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
(Except....I still haven't found any recommendations (here at our forum)for a really good chrome polish?????
...go figure ...
What's chrome???

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM

Good point. Chrome is for cruisers. Don't need it to weigh me down.

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 06-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

I knew someone would jump on that -

Foo Fighter Rider
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 AM

If your rearsets are new, apply some "Paint Protection Film" to them. It's available at most auto parts stores. Just use scissors to cut it to shape.

If you've scuffed them with your boots and can't live with it, pull the rearsets, clean them up with something like Prepsol or lacquer thinner, paint them with Krylon aluminum silver paint and then with Krylon clear coat after the silver has dried for about 10-15 minutes. Apply a couple more coats of the clear and let them cure completelyThen apply the PPF described above once the paint has completely cured.

The carbon fiber sticker looks OK, but I personally wouldn't do that.

V-Zee
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:17 AM

thanks for the link!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
...go figure ...
Your toothbrush and toothpaste....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 AM

I bought the non-abrasive self stick non-slip traction sheet from Bass Pro and cleaned them off with alcohol then using a piece of paper, cut a template and used this to cut and then stick them on. Problem solved, no more boot scuff marks. I also got the thick self stick stuff for ladders and cut pieces to stick on the plastic under the tank for extra knee grip on corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0903.jpg (905.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0904.jpg (972.0 KB, 76 views)

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 AM

Randy49.

Cheap and looks good.
I had use leftovers of my tank protector stickers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
ote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38
...go figure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Your toothbrush and toothpaste....
LMAO
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=(Except....I still haven't found any recommendations (here at our forum)for a really good chrome polish?????
...go figure ...[/QUOTE]

Using Meguiars metal polish, Good stuff
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...T1=MEG+MC20406

For chrome:
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G16108

Don't think chrome belongs on the V. Cheers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Being my first bike and all......I have to wonder, Are all branded forums so congenial and thoughtful.

Heck, even when you consider the buzzing problems and seat unhappiness...we all just rolls with it, bang our collective heads together and solve the problem.

Pretty darn cool if ya ask me.
...go figure ...
I'm here for the wife's V. Have gotten much useful info, I try to do the same. I have been Farkling her bike, auxilry fuse box, now hard luggage with led's, next is the trunk with brake light built in, ordering the Givi Rack today. Still working on the extra lighting for up front, will use LED lights. As soon as I find the proper threads I'll post what I did and pictures will be a part of it.
My other Forum for my bike is the same, just awesome people and lots of knowledge and help

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode