GPS questions. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GPS questions.

First, save the "i dont need gps," or the "if you have gps you will die" comments, i have seen them, read them, and i get it. Start another thread if you want to bitch.

I have been thinking about a gps for the V since i travel a lot and would love to know where im going on new trips. I have a Garmin in the truck and love it. I found a Garmin, brand new for 115 shipped. I figured why not? Ill just get a water proof case for it, the motorcycle gps units are like 800 bones, thats way more than i want to spend on something like this. Is there any special reason to get a motorcycle specific gps unit other than the buttons being easier to use and the unit itself being somewhat sealed?

If not, ill be buying the one i saw. I dont need to be able to hit buttons while riding since thats not smart. I dont mind that i would obviously have to pull over to use the thing or reset stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:07 PM

I think the bike specific ones tend to be shock/vibration proof as well as waterproof, but maybe that could be solved by mounting it on rubber or foam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The only reason i went with the Garmin Zumo 550 is because its waterproof and i ride rain or shine i've been in quite a few down pours these last months. It does work well though i have mine paired to my cell phone and scala rider 2 no problems at all. you can go to amazon.com for better prices. But from what you have stated stick with the 115.00 unit.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:09 PM
DBL

I have a Tom Tom GPS I use in my car and truck but the display is impossible to see on my V in bright sunlight. I have an older eTrex Legend that has a non-color LCD screen with built-in maps and looks great on the bike but the maps need to be updated which I think I can do online. The Tom Tom was only $150 several years ago and can be found for a lot less and the eTrex was $250 several years ago as well and shouldn't be more than a $100 now. The new GPS units designed for cars will most likely not be visible on a bike in sunlight so keep that in mind unless you are only using it at night. I don't understand why the technology is lagging with color LCD screens. Even my cellphone is useless in bright sunlight and has an external and internal color LCD screen and neither can be seen in sunlight unless shaded.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Garage
Anyone intrested might want to check out Navigon GPS units. a german company that kind of left the U.S. market. I have the 7100 series great unit much better than the garmin. has a reality view which is amazing and can be set for day or night driving tons of features. I wanted to use it but didn't want to ruin it by getting it wet.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 PM

I have all of the above....Then technology came along....so I would not have to carry so much gear ie: Ipod, etrex legend gps, cellphone, laptop, camera and all the related hardware and cables that go with it...I got a Motorola Droid! Sounds like a commercial....
Weird? Droid really Does all!!

1972 Yamaha DT80
1982 Honda XR200rL
1983 Yamaha IT-465
1984 Suzuki GS1150es
1986 Kawasaki KX250
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600r
1988 Yamaha FZR400
1994 Honda XR650l
2000 Kawasaki KLX300r Street Legal!
Current ride 2009 Kawasaki Versys.

If your going too fast...your Going to crash!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well there's another thing to consider. If you want to plot your own course & upload it to the GPS, I'm pretty sure the cheaper units won't do this. But if you don't care about that, then no big deal.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:16 PM

I got a Garmin Nuvi 1100 at WalMart for $99. I've got around 1100 miles using it on NJ backroads with my green 09 V. I mounted it down low on the windscreen. No problems with rain so far. Works great.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 500, which works great. A month later I got a Droid. With google maps w/turn by turn on the Droid there really only one reason I haven't sold my garmin is the lack of a RAM mount for the Droid and the lack of waterproof and vibration resistence. Oh well, I now use the Droid with my Vega Bluetooth helmet to provide a bit musicality to my rides. Really is a great phone!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info so far guys. From what i have read, no sites that make motorcycle gps units say anything about vibration, just water proof.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 PM

My daughter got me A low end garmin for christmas, I only use it when needed so far like to find gas stations, resteraunts or points of interest, so most of the time I have it turned off. I also figured now I can get my self lost and set the gps for home to get back to civilization. I have A speedys gps mount and mikes touring shield, and got caught in the rain so I stopped for a coffee left the V parked in the rain and the gps mount stayed dry the whole time.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
First, save the "i dont need gps," or the "if you have gps you will die" comments,
What do you need a GPS for? I drove for 40 years without one... besides, theyíre dangerous...

Just kidding! I picked up a Garmin Nuvi (an older model, 250 I think) a couple of years ago and I love it! Itís not waterproof (I usually donít opt to ride in the rain and if I do get caught..., I just put a baggie over it or put it in my pocket) but they have some even better reasonably priced units now that are waterproof. Check out their 500 series ($200 on Amazon). I havenít read up on them in depth but at a glance they look really nice!

From the research I did before I bought mine and from my personal experience with it, I think Garmin is the hot lick. Great maps, satellite acquisition, fast processors, feature rich, intuitive & easy to use software, ...

Iíve had no problems with vibration, even on my terribly buzzy V (yup, kidding again) but I would read the reviews and be sure you get something with a bright display. A unit that may be fine in the semi-shade on a carís dashboard might well be impossible to read in direct sunlight.

Iíd love to have the additional functionality of a Zumo 550 but I thereís no way Iím going to invest that much in a unit until I can get one with real-time weather maps.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

The Zumo 665 will show real time weather with the XM weather subscription.

As to which GPS is best the real questions is what do you want from your GPS? Do you need to upload tracks of where you have been? If so the cheapo Garmin units dont do this, but he Zumos do. Why might you want this? I use it to stamp my photos with their LAT & LON, so when I upload them to flickr they show up on the flickr map.

Do you do any motorcycle rally riding? If so the cheapo Garmin units wont support setting up a route with multiple stops. Just a route to the next stop. Once you get there you put in your next location. For me that wont work.

Do you want MP3 capability and audio turn by turn? Make sure you get one with an audio out jack. I love audio turn by turn, lets me keep my eyes up when I'm in traffic and still not miss the exit.

If you just want a moving map and the ability to get directions to the next place your going then the cheap units should be fine.

Oh and that idea that you wont use it while moving... bull hockey. You will get frustrated real fast at having to stop to adjust brightness, etc.

I have a Zumo 660. Love it. Wish I had the new 665.

BTW remember that AMA members get 20% off all Garmin units & accessories.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
The Zumo 665 will show real time weather with the XM weather subscription...

... BTW remember that AMA members get 20% off all Garmin units & accessories.
Does the `XM Weatherí work everywhere now? The last time I looked (a couple of years ago) the weather function only worked in those areas where there was `XM Trafficí coverage ó and that was only in or near metropolitan areas.

Is the AMA discount available regardless of the point of purchase or only thru select Garmin vendors?

Thanks

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM

All of the new Garmins Suck!!! Here is why, if you create a specific route on the PC and transfer it over to the unit it recalculates it where it wants. I personally use the 76CX, and have used the 76cs for the last 5 years. The beauty of this unit is, it runs on AA batteries all weekend. You can program what you want to see on any screen, is viewable in the lowest light to the sunniest day, floats and is waterproof up to about 3'. This is the same unit as the 60CX just in different packaging. The part I like about the 76 series is you cant scratch the screen. My 76cs has been through hell and back many times and works perfectly. The only reason I upgraded to the 76CX was to be able to use newer maps.

The downside of the 76/60 series are you have to buy maps to use them, unlike the Zumos or Nuvi's they do not come with mapping software. But they are far superior to the other units on the market. I have tried the newer Garmins, and the problem is they took away some key features we motorcyclist use. Like being able to create a specific route on the pc and it follow it. The new units are dumbed down to basically take you from the start to the finish, and it decides how you will get there. And the Touch screen Garmins are terrible in most lighting conditions except indoors with the back lighting on.

Again just my opinion, but I feel at this time the 76CX and 76CSX are the best units on the market with the flexibility that we as motorcyclist need.

Todd
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 AM

I have ridden more than 50,000 miles with my Garmin Zumo 550 (on my Goldwing) and would not consider a road trip without it. One of the best investments I have made. I have all the "stuff" needed to mount it to my V so I can move it from one bike to the other. I also have the Bluetooth setup for hands-free talking on my cell phone. Works great!

As for the creating custom routes, there is a bit of an art to it. You have to turn off some things in the GPS itself to keep it from re-routing you to freeways, but it can be done. Laying out a good route can be tedious, but your patience will be rewarded.

2010 Versys - 2007 Honda Goldwing

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Zumo 500 all the way. Dont leave home without it
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

This is what i just bought for the Versys.

http://www.buy.com/prod/garmin-nuvi-...207536225.html

Great price. I have a Garmin 750 in my Xterra and LOVE IT. I just want something to get me from point A to point B, find me gas, food maybe, thats it. So this one should do just fine. Now i just need to pick out the mounting bracket.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM

I've been reading the GPS threads for a few days now and am thoroughly confused.

I'm perfectly willing to buy something like the Zumo 665 if it's really worth it, but I'm not convinced it is.
  1. I'd like to be able to use the GPS on the V and also take it in the car or on a trip (like to Europe, say). I have an iPhone, but in Europe I don't have data access, so the GPS is useless.
  2. I'd like to be able to plot the course I want to take and not what the device thinks is the most direct route. We stay on back roads when we ride and seek out the more twisty roads.
  3. I'd like to be able to pop it off any time I like without a lot of work, like when I go in a restaurant.
  4. Audible directions via bluetooth seems useful.
  5. I don't care about music.

Perhaps the main thing that draws me to the Zumo is the Motowerk mount is pre-made for it and I'm not at all mechanically inclined (installing my Givi E52 was a stretch).

Also, reading through the threads, mounting something like the Nuvi 265WT requires drilling and a whole bunch of RAM mount parts and I don't really understand why all the parts are needed.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Garage
Well after my trip to california i'm more impressed with the zumo 550. It took me on a route that shaved at least 4 hours off my normal trip. it has multiple mounts for car and motorcycle. and as far as vibration or being impact resistant when i mounted mine on the bike at first i hit every pot hole and railroad track,bumpy road in fort worth. it took the abuse without any problem from the unit or the mount

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode