First Gen OEM Side Racks and Top Rack together - oh yes you can! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
First Gen OEM Side Racks and Top Rack together - oh yes you can!

Forgive me if my search-foo isn't working well, but after reading what seems like hundreds of threads over the past couple weeks it seems like the general consensus (with a few exceptions) is that the first gen OEM side racks (made by Givi) will not work with any top rack without modifying (removing? not positive because the answers seems to be vague and/or missing pictures) the grab handles on the side rack.

I bought the OEM side rack with the G35 bags, and the 447FZ Monorack Sidearms.

I got the side racks on with zero issues and they're nice and solid, great mounting system, yada yada yada.
Then I went to get the 447FZ arms bolted on and I couldn't, for the life of me, make sense of how the "ears" (#1 in the instructions here: Versys 650 '06-09' : 447FZ - MONORACK SIDEARMS) were supposed to attach to the bike. As I'm sure everyone knows, instructions aren't Givi's strong suit.

I had read a couple posts that said something akin to "you can make both the OEM side rack and a top rack work you just need to bolt everything together loosely." Taking that advice, I got every bolt loosened up so that about 3-5 threads were engaged at each point.

In the end, you need to get the side racks on, loosely, and then remove the top rear mounting bolts (the ones at the rear end of the grab handles) and then put those ears in place and get the bolt threaded in a bit. Once this is done you can get the rear arms bolted (loosely again) at their front attachment point and attach the rear mounts of the arms to the ears. We found it necessary to put the head of the bolt facing the rear of the bike with the nut to the front. Then we used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the bolt head while turning the nut with a ratchet. I could have modified a wrench to fit in between all the bits and pieces of the bike and racks but my grinding wheel is dead and I didn't want to try to do it with my angle grinder.

Once the arms were attached to the brackets, I torqued all the rest of the bolts down, starting with the four grab handle bolts of the side rack.

Ear and arms connected:

Ear on top of the side rack:

If anything is unclear, clarification is needed, or pictures from different angles are requested let me know and I'll update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My 2013 required grinding off the grab handles of the factory (Givi) side racks to install the factory (SW Motech) rear rack. Glad you got your system to work though. I did make some rubber spacers for mine to cut down of friction/vibration.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhiking View Post
My 2013 required grinding off the grab handles of the factory (Givi) side racks to install the factory (SW Motech) rear rack. Glad you got your system to work though. I did make some rubber spacers for mine to cut down of friction/vibration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My sw's top and side racks just bolted up. Only thing I had to do is add a few washers on the seat latch brackets on the seat as the seat is a little higher now. Other than that, fit like a smack in the face..ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode