Seat Concepts seat on '08 - So-so reaction. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seat Concepts seat on '08 - So-so reaction.

So I snagged the Seat Concepts seat to fix the ball-wrecking forward slope and pinch in the lower back feeling, and I just got it on today.

Maybe it's just the fact that i've been in the sun and I was sweaty / riding the DRZ as a backup / not used to it, but I'm having a rather mixed reaction to it. I could find some comfy spots but soon had some discomfort that made me shift around. I'm hoping it's just from the foam not being broken in.

One deal killer was, well, TMI moment: Instead of the tank occasionally giving your boys a good punch, now there's a ridge in the seat that's giving you a prostate exam . Tried sliding back, but got uncomfortable again, so I put my feet on the highway pegs to stretch out. Again, got shifty after a bit. Rode for about 20 minutes before I threw in the towel, but mind I wasn't in a riding mood, just wanted to test the seat.

SO- Anyone else put an SC seat on, and had to take some time to get used to it? Should I immediately pan it, or give it a week and go for an all-day tour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I got mine I didn't feel as solidly tied to the bike, but an Alaska leather sheep skin made all things better.
Just the right amount of give and little movement once settled for the ride.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
When I got mine I didn't feel as solidly tied to the bike, but an Alaska leather sheep skin made all things better.
Just the right amount of give and little movement once settled for the ride.
I can see that. Feels sort of like you're floating on top instead of sitting inside. Maybe I just need more time in it.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
the sheep skin also helps when the bike has been sitting in the sun in the summer and the shade when it approaches freezing
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 11:38 PM

Garage
Uh oh. I'm waiting on one. Should be here next week. I'll report in once I get it installed but I was hoping...counting on the seat concepts to be the answer to my comfort issues.

I would give it at least a handful of solid rides before passing judgement. Sometimes "different" just doesn't feel right at first, even if it actually is. My 2 cents anyway.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I got one with the heavy duty foam.

Initial difference is the depth of the seat I have about 2in more room front to back to move.
The seat is actually about 2-5cm taller than stock in the front.
Rear feels lower but that is probably because of the raised front.
The front is raised slightly but not upturned like some GS seats.

The Feel of the seat is different than stock.
You can feel that there is some girth in the seats transition from the wide rear to tapered front - it pushed your inner thighs apart when stopped with both feet on the ground.
I also found that the seat is firmer as I can feel the pressure on the pelvic bones we sit on. Initially I found this uncomfortable - but in reality this is what makes the seat more comfortable for me. the more I rode the bike the more this took away the feeling that I was sitting on my tail bone - this feels more like a road bike (bicycle) seat.

I have done about 1000km now with it.
It is more comfortable than the stock.
For me it is still not an all day seat, but 400km with a couple of breaks was not a problem. I can always put my Airhawk R on
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
Uh oh. I'm waiting on one. Should be here next week. I'll report in once I get it installed but I was hoping...counting on the seat concepts to be the answer to my comfort issues.

I would give it at least a handful of solid rides before passing judgement. Sometimes "different" just doesn't feel right at first, even if it actually is. My 2 cents anyway.
Don't let my neurosis affect your data I'm just curious if i'm going crazy / being pissy about it.

I have one on my DRZ, and i sorta hated it at first, too. It's grown on me, and now it's pretty solid. Think i'm gonna take it out tomorrow and stay out for a few hours before I give it an honest opinion.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I got one with the heavy duty foam.

Initial difference is the depth of the seat I have about 2in more room front to back to move.
The seat is actually about 2-5cm taller than stock in the front.
Rear feels lower but that is probably because of the raised front.
The front is raised slightly but not upturned like some GS seats.

The Feel of the seat is different than stock.
You can feel that there is some girth in the seats transition from the wide rear to tapered front - it pushed your inner thighs apart when stopped with both feet on the ground.
I also found that the seat is firmer as I can feel the pressure on the pelvic bones we sit on. Initially I found this uncomfortable - but in reality this is what makes the seat more comfortable for me. the more I rode the bike the more this took away the feeling that I was sitting on my tail bone - this feels more like a road bike (bicycle) seat.

I have done about 1000km now with it.
It is more comfortable than the stock.
For me it is still not an all day seat, but 400km with a couple of breaks was not a problem. I can always put my Airhawk R on
Did the stocker push you forward / tweak your lower back like it did mine? After about an hour in the saddle, my thigh / lower spine was on fire from that, and the boys would be feeling the effects of the tank.

Doesn't seem an issue here, but i did get an odd back spasm getting off the bike today after testing. Maybe i'm looking for problems to whine about with it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Did the stocker push you forward / tweak your lower back like it did mine? After about an hour in the saddle, my thigh / lower spine was on fire from that, and the boys would be feeling the effects of the tank.

Doesn't seem an issue here, but i did get an odd back spasm getting off the bike today after testing. Maybe i'm looking for problems to whine about with it.
No issues like that.
Boys never got squished... thighs grip the tank.

I do have lowing pegs, with the stock seat I did get leg cramps in the inner thigh.
Now with the SC seat on 2 long rides I did not get any leg cramps as the seat height gives me a larger knee and hip angle.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've had an SC for three years now. When I first got it I really liked it, and the only discomfort that I noticed was that the wider front part caused some pressure on my thighs. It no longer bothers me and I really like the seat for all day comfort.

There are two distinct positions for me; the rear portion with my butt near the hump, and the forward position. I move back and forth throughout a ride and find that the varying positions greatly add to comfort. I like the front position for sporty riding through twisty bits of road, it puts more weight on the front end and it is very easy for me to shift my weight from side to side. It is easy to hang off in tight turns.

I rotated the handlebar back a few degrees to accommodate the additional height of the SC, which is another bonus for my long legs. I do not miss the torture of the OEM seat, nor do I miss crushing the boys against the tank when braking hard. I tried raising the front, but it was still a guilded turd.

Give the seat some arse time, maybe adjust the handlebar and levers a bit to suit. For hot weather the discomfort, which will be felt with any seat, can be dealt with by many means as others have suggested. I use bicycle shorts and Gold Bond powder for long, hot rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatProfile.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	69801   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatTop.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	69809  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 10:18 PM

Garage
Got my seat yesterday and stapled it up today. Took one quick ride. My initial impression was it felt much better than stock, but of course I can't tell too much until I get some longer rides on it. If the weather cooperates I'll commute on it this week and should be able to get a better idea.

The angle certainly feels better, as it's much more level, it's higher, and the foam is more supportive.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Got my seat yesterday and stapled it up today. Took one quick ride. My initial impression was it felt much better than stock, but of course I can't tell too much until I get some longer rides on it. If the weather cooperates I'll commute on it this week and should be able to get a better idea.

The angle certainly feels better, as it's much more level, it's higher, and the foam is more supportive.
Maybe i'm just being whiny about it. the guys at SC told me to change what materials im wearing / avoid loose fitting denim as it can fold up and make it kind of crappy to ride.

I kind of hate the cupping- feels like the seat wants me to slide back, so i slide back. But then I get in the "cup", its wanting to push me forward. Make up your mind, seat! or perhaps Butt.

It's been raining so haven't been riding too much on it. I need one solid, long day of seeing how i feel after a long time. The stocker would screw up my lower back and give me leg cramps.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:45 AM

If you still have problems, send your seat to Hornig. They will modify your seat exactly according to your needs. I have a similar "painful story" behind me and now I'm super happy.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Just got back from an attempted all day ride. Here's the email I set to Robert at SeatConcepts, since i'm in a ton of pain right now - long story short, it's still causing some grief:

Quote:
"Hi again Robert,

Finally got a day to test the seat, but am still experiencing a lot of discomfort. Wearing riding pants / applying gold bond, I lasted for about an hour before I had to stop and rest. To be blunt: it's applying a lot of pressure between my legs and smashing the boys pretty hard. There's a constant pressure that makes itself known, and after around 2 1/2 hours, I was shifting about and unable to find a comfortable position. I had to alternate between standing, putting feet on highway pegs, and leaning forward just to get a little relief, but it was soon overwhelming me again. Just a constant pressure between my legs that soon spread to my butt, and up my lower back.

Right now, my legs are cramped up, and it feels like i've been punched in the kidneys

How long does it take for the foam to break in? I'll say the horrible feeling in my knees and thighs are gone from the stock slope, but the issues described above are a different can of worms. As said, the SeatConcepts seat on the DRZ solved the issue quite well, but the Versys is absolutely destroying me now.

Any more tips on comfort? It really feels like the built up ridge at the front is what's causing my problems, but i can't be sure."
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 AM

do you have bar risers on the bike yet? im 6'1" and I needed my 2" rox risers to feel comfortable on the seat. if I didn't have them, my back would be in a painful arch from the added seat height. I also have the peg lowering kit and I don't think I could find a better riding position.

the ridge at the front of the seat where your thighs contact the seat will be noticeable for the first month or so, either it broke in or I just don't notice it anymore.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Just got back from an attempted all day ride. Here's the email I set to Robert at SeatConcepts, since i'm in a ton of pain right now - long story short, it's still causing some grief:

I have close to 100,000 miles on three Versys 650s. FIRST mod I did to EACH was to raise the front of the seat by 9/16", as soon as I got home from the dealer.... Other than THAT - OEM stock seats!

I did about 7,500 kms over 16 days in June, then just rode 3434 kms over 6 days a week back. NO complaints from MY butt...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBlue View Post
do you have bar risers on the bike yet? im 6'1" and I needed my 2" rox risers to feel comfortable on the seat. if I didn't have them, my back would be in a painful arch from the added seat height. I also have the peg lowering kit and I don't think I could find a better riding position.

the ridge at the front of the seat where your thighs contact the seat will be noticeable for the first month or so, either it broke in or I just don't notice it anymore.
Which Rox risers work for the Versys? I'm always terrible with remembering bar sizes.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have close to 100,000 miles on three Versys 650s. FIRST mod I did to EACH was to raise the front of the seat by 9/16", as soon as I got home from the dealer.... Other than THAT - OEM stock seats!

I did about 7,500 kms over 16 days in June, then just rode 3434 kms over 6 days a week back. NO complaints from MY butt...!

The stocker wasn't TERRIBLE, per se- except for the ball smash / downward slope. You probably did the proper thing and build it up so it's not so bad.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Garage
This thread punctuates how subjective motorcycle seat comfort is.

I've only had the seat concepts seat on my bike a few days, but I find it worlds better than the stock seat. I have a few 40 mile commutes on it so far, and those are the longest stretches so far so all day comfort has yet to be tested. However the stock seat annoyed me on that 40 mile commute.

I had raised the front of my stock seat, which definitely helped make it more tolerable, but certainly not truly comfortable to me. I believe for me the soft foam had as much to do with my discomfort as the angle/shape did. I'm a member of the over 200 lb club, so that could definitely play a part.

Others seem to be looking at moving the bars up and back with the seat concepts, I moved them forward and lower and am loving it. Feels much sportier to me, and being leaned forward a little for me makes any seat more comfortable. I feel my weight isn't pushing straight down my spine into my tailbone. It puts my sit bones in a slightly different angle too which is more comfortable, and they seem to get less pressure. I was considering lower pegs, but I have decided against it since I can feel the ridges of this seat in my thigh. Not a big deal, but if I lower my feet, then my upper leg will be at a steeper angle and the effect will be that I'll feel that ridge more. I get the same thing from my Corbin on my other bike and I assume it's because my legs are a bit shorter than the "average leg" the seat is truly designed for.

@ Mongoose....There is always the chance you got a dud. You may have just got a bad piece of foam with density issues. I read quite a few reviews on the SC seat, and there were certainly some negative ones, but i don't recall any describing the symptoms you're having.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This thread punctuates how subjective motorcycle seat comfort is.

I've only had the seat concepts seat on my bike a few days, but I find it worlds better than the stock seat. I have a few 40 mile commutes on it so far, and those are the longest stretches so far so all day comfort has yet to be tested. However the stock seat annoyed me on that 40 mile commute.

I had raised the front of my stock seat, which definitely helped make it more tolerable, but certainly not truly comfortable to me. I believe for me the soft foam had as much to do with my discomfort as the angle/shape did. I'm a member of the over 200 lb club, so that could definitely play a part.

Others seem to be looking at moving the bars up and back with the seat concepts, I moved them forward and lower and am loving it. Feels much sportier to me, and being leaned forward a little for me makes any seat more comfortable. I feel my weight isn't pushing straight down my spine into my tailbone. It puts my sit bones in a slightly different angle too which is more comfortable, and they seem to get less pressure. I was considering lower pegs, but I have decided against it since I can feel the ridges of this seat in my thigh. Not a big deal, but if I lower my feet, then my upper leg will be at a steeper angle and the effect will be that I'll feel that ridge more. I get the same thing from my Corbin on my other bike and I assume it's because my legs are a bit shorter than the "average leg" the seat is truly designed for.

@ Mongoose....There is always the chance you got a dud. You may have just got a bad piece of foam with density issues. I read quite a few reviews on the SC seat, and there were certainly some negative ones, but i don't recall any describing the symptoms you're having.
Yep. totally subjective, since we're all special snowflakes with special snowflake needs. The SC seat is indeed better- didn't wreck my thighs / lower back like the stock, but doesn't rule out the issues (not implied, mind you). I did notice i was arched forward more, and with a damaged trapezius / wrecked left clavicle, i was feeling it a bit.

Robert said it sounds like i'm far too forward on the ridge, and it's wrecking me. Just ordered some ROX risers to see if they'll help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
discomfort, seat, seat concepts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode