Soft Saddlebags - on 2014 with grab rails - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Updated: Neson Rigg Soft Saddlebags - on 2014 with grab rails

Update: added bags, write up below with pics...

Looking to add some soft saddle bags onto my 2014 without removing the passenger grab rails.

Not quite sure how these will work, anyone running either of the bags below with or without support racks, and with grab handles? I have seen the "strap fix" used to stop the bags from drooping to much.

If using saddlebag supports, which one? I know the custom ones available here are no longer being fabbed...Thanks,

Bags I'm looking at (But not limited to):

Cortech 2.0 Contour bag

Cortech 2.0 saddlebag

OGIO

Last edited by outdoorgb; 08-25-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: new info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:37 PM

the sportbike style saddle bags shouldn't need any supports.
I use twisted throttles dryspec soft bags and I only added something custom fabbed to help them sit more level.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 AM

Expensive, but worth every penny

[QUOTE=outdoorgb;935746]Looking to add some soft saddle bags onto my 2014 without removing the passenger grab rails.

Go with the Kriega soft bag system. The 30-20-10 bags will carry all you desire.

You pay, but in this case you do get what you pay for-Top shelf product, great support, superb warranty...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Excellent review of the Kriega "System"

[quote=trill;936450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
Looking to add some soft saddle bags onto my 2014 without removing the passenger grab rails.

Go with the Kriega soft bag system. The 30-20-10 bags will carry all you desire.

You pay, but in this case you do get what you pay for-Top shelf product, great support, superb warranty...

See http://www.revzilla.com/kriega

The video and product reviews of the Kriega packs and the Kriega "System" from the hyperlink above demonstrate the functionality, features, value, and versatility of the Kriega packs.

The fact that I can use the 10 and 20 packs as a tank bag on my
2012 Versys 650 is an added benefit.

If you want more details, PM me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:36 AM

Kriega drypacks overview

See http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-us-30-drypack for an overview of the Kriega drypacks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

The Kriega systems looked great...I only need luggage for one or two trips per year on this bike...May throw them on the KLR once and a while.

Based on some older (2011/2012) reviews of the Nelson-Rigg Spirt 50 saddlebags, I went that route and found one on ebay for $65 delivered, + $10.52 for rain covers. Call it a "starting luggage" attempt. I already have the OGIO tail bag but the gear no longer gets good reviews...the fabric faids in the sun pretty fast...

I really want hard bags but my limited use could not justify the "attachment" hardware costs...

Thanks for the info guys and I will update this post once the bags are installed.
For reference here are some Nelson Rigg detials on bags I considered, prices were "best google found":

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 PM

I don't know if it will make a difference as a saddlebag, but for a backpack, I tried the Kriega R-25 and it cause all kinds of wind turbulence not even at 80 mph. I got 2 different kinds of Axio (new used) hard bags, and either one (Swift 2.0 or Forza) increased my top end over 20 mph plus (?)

The Kriega's seem like nice backpacks, but not for motorcycle jet-stream riding. And my Kriega shoulder-straps keep pulling out of the bag: a very tight fit for a 50" chest.) That $180 went fast, but it would be a good hiking pack if the shoulder straps were not such a hassle every time you take it off and put it on.

ymmv
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

So I received the Nelson-Rigg SPRT-50 bags and they will be plenty big enough for my needs. I only plan to use the saddle bags a few times a year...the tail bag gets me to work and back, and I commute on a KLR650 in the winter.

Paid $65 on ebay and also got the rain covers for $10.50

There are several ways to mount these bags...they have two heavy duty straps to go over the bike, and four straps to hold the bag down...two per side.

I read on some other threads that going under the seat puts stress on the plastics. So, I went over and added a simple support system. The bracket is a piece of aluminum found at home stores, bent to fit the width of the bags when installed, in my case, 16 1/4"

The stock reflector screws (M5 x 0.8 thread) accept a readily available cap screw or bolt from the home store. The width is about 14 1/14" so I bought some UHMW sleeves..again, at the home store. Total = $ 8 for everything. Paint I had. Fastened up under the tail area to some bolts up there.

I needed a system to come-and-go...install takes maybe 5/10 minutes.

Pics of set up:
bracket and spacers during fit up ...before paint

Last edited by outdoorgb; 08-25-2015 at 02:10 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Changed the setup a little...
I installed the ADV rear rack made by KTMDUALS...
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ck-option.html

Really well made product. Bolts right up to the OEM passenger grab rails.

reinstalled my gear, off for a trip this weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode