Painted my Versys, what do you think? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Painted my Versys, what do you think?

Hey gang,

When i bought my Versys, I got red because it was the only color in 08 so I didnt really have a choice. I always knew I would eventually paint it. I finally got around to it. Took a while to pick a color, but there is someone in my neighborhood who drives by in their Infiniti G35 and Ive always loved the color. So, I finally did some homework and found out it was called lakeshore slate metallic., sort of a pretty blue/ gray depending on the light and the angle. I took the parts into a local body shop and they did the work for $350. Turned out great. Anyone thinking about doing this, the only part that really requires ANY mechanical skill is removing the gas tank. And even that is pretty simple. I also relocated the versys stickers.

Only thing is, Im not really sure how the red spring works with this color. It looks like it would be pretty easy to get the spring/ shock combo off the bike, but I dont see any way to get the spring and shock separated for painting. Even if you look up the parts schematic, it is sold as a complete unit, you cant buy the silver spring separate. It looks like it may not be made to come apart.

Anyway, check it, let me know what you think about the red spring.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 PM

I think it looks great and I think you are going to see many people repainting their Versys to customize it to their taste. It's a bike that can do it all.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Very nice! I like the color and it makes the silver plastics work. I actually like the red spring. I makes it look like a very important part! I think it would look weird if their were more red parts, but just the single red part looks ok.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Very nice! I like the color and it makes the silver plastics work. I actually like the red spring. I makes it look like a very important part! I think it would look weird if their were more red parts, but just the single red part looks ok.
+1 - I agree

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Great, very classy look to it ! Looks like good work and reasonable.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Most shocks can be disassembled using a spring compressor. Your dealer might have one. If they do, they will probably charge $25 to disassemble/reassemble the unit. If not, you can always sell it on eBay and buy a replacement. Once you get the spring off, you can have it powder coated. I think it would even look cook to powder coat the muffler flat black.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Nice matching Cheers and Good rides.
The red shock spring looks all rite.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

"Most shocks can be disassembled using a spring compressor."

Yeah, I know. Ive done a lot of work on car suspensions and I have a spring compressor. However, if you look closely at the Versys rear susp. unit, it looks sealed. There are no threads or hex shaped edges, etc at the collar ends of the spring. There is no where to put any type of tool. It doesnt look possible to disassemble.

Ryan
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoriakid View Post
"Most shocks can be disassembled using a spring compressor."

Yeah, I know. Ive done a lot of work on car suspensions and I have a spring compressor. However, if you look closely at the Versys rear susp. unit, it looks sealed. There are no threads or hex shaped edges, etc at the collar ends of the spring. There is no where to put any type of tool. It doesnt look possible to disassemble.

Ryan
I have not really taken a close look, so thanks for the info. Looks like they are about $350 new. Do you know who makes the shock for Kawa? Is it a Showa?

BTW, love the slate paint!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Looks very nice.

Every motorcycle shock I have taken apart has either a clip or bolt at the bottom. If you take all of the preload out you may not even need to compress the spring. I haven't looked at the V but you would normally see a collar on the bottom that the spring will sit on. Once the spring is loose you slide the collar up and remove the clip. Then everything comes off the bottom end.

Pretty standard on dirtbikes but like I said I have never even looked at the V.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Pick up a spring/shock for an '09. Black shock/silver spring.
Paint looks sharp. The only one out there...
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM

Hey, I could paint my green '09 that color.......but it would slow it down

Seriously, it looks real nice!

V-Zee
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Looks very nice.

Every motorcycle shock I have taken apart has either a clip or bolt at the bottom. If you take all of the preload out you may not even need to compress the spring. I haven't looked at the V but you would normally see a collar on the bottom that the spring will sit on. Once the spring is loose you slide the collar up and remove the clip. Then everything comes off the bottom end.

Pretty standard on dirtbikes but like I said I have never even looked at the V.

Exactly. No spring compressor needed. Release/loosen preload all the way.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Going your way pretty soon and the RED spring looks good. Nice contrast.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 PM

So what kind of paint would be suitable to handle the flexing on a spring?

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Good looking color!

Actually, I have been thinking about painting my bike a different color! My local bike shop quoted me $720 if I just leave the bike with them. $600 if I take everything off the bike for them. I am glad I haven't done it, because you got yours done for only $350!!!

What do you have to do for the tank? Do you have to remove the fuel pump and anything else on the tank???

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 AM

That looks great, I've also noticed that Infinity color

If it were me though, I'd replace the turn signals with the clear 09's, I think that would top it all off.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
So what kind of paint would be suitable to handle the flexing on a spring?
I think powder-coat would be the only thing you could use. However, the temperature used when curing the powder coat can affect the spring.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/powdercoating.htm

Last edited by Cruiseman; 06-03-2010 at 05:35 AM.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 AM

We painted a spring on a KX250 back in 2004 with Krylon Gloss Red. We scuffed it up with a Scotchbrite pad, clean it with paint prep and shot the paint on. Four years later, it still looks good and the paint stayed put with no flaking.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM

I removed my shock when I painted mine. Took it to a local shop to compress/remove it for $5.00. Had the spring powdercoated, then had the spring put back on. Followed the manual for shock removal, reinstall. No problems at all. Nice color on your V... looks like my '07 Star Stratoliner (Dark Silver). Best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode