Can't say - is this guard good or what.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can't say - is this guard good or what..

Hey Hey.
Just bought and after some mechanical torture tried hands guard, with turn LED sighals built-in. Looks strange, me myself not sure - should I left this PRC product or should I throw it right to a garbage.
Thing is, I always dreamed to remove original turn bumps, and that could be the chance to do it..
Pictures of it (not too good, sorry):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i dont think they look that bad and anything that can make your bike more noticeable thew better..... id even go as far as to run them as running lights and blinkers

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM

Garage
Please remember to reduce the image size. Those pics are redonkulously big!

Edit: They eventually render smaller. Whew! Started out enormous!

Binderline

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Looks good and wire them up as running lights.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:26 PM

Garage
I've been wanting to do that for a long time, either add LED's to the BarkBusters or get mirrors with the LED's built in, although I wouldn't remove the OEM's personally. Anything to make you more visible is a good thing IMO.

Then again the Ducati Multistrada uses LED blinkers in the handguards as it's sole front blinkers ....

If you do make sure they are at the right angle and bright enough for them to be plainly seen on a bright sunny day.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:56 AM

it works, but being cheaply made there are pretty high numbers of LED failures before even 1 year, as happening in my area.

oh by the way do not expect that guard to do much "guard" duty, it is more for ornamental purpose.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

This is what I'm afraid of. I use stop signal from alibaba-something-supplier, with turn LED built in it, and this turn part refused to work after an hour. Stop signal itself is working and being smoke gray looks better and lighter then OEM..
Some guy in my local Versys group said such guard should be shaking-n-waving.
O'k. Anyway, I gonna use it till the season end (we have one in Moscow), till november comes and I will post here all I think about its work.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 PM

Garage
You could fit good handguards (I use BarkBusters) and attach a small strip of orange LED's and splice them into your existing indicators. Something like this

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I would suggest that you get hand guards w/ the aluminum 'spine' (protects YOU and your levers when you fall down...) and plastic 'guards' that can be removed when it's HOT out, or re-installed when it's cold. Here's my '15 w/ plastic OFF.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Same advices I've heard from friend of mine.. Maybe it will be final choise - real guard with aluminum sceleton and shield which is replaceable.
Don't know about other places, but I've met four Versys bikes during past week here in Moscow and they all was equipped with hands guards, could you believe it. Except mine..
Like motorcycle we drive is a real tour-enduro))
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrano View Post
Same advices I've heard from friend of mine.. Maybe it will be final choise - real guard with aluminum sceleton and shield which is replaceable.
Don't know about other places, but I've met four Versys bikes during past week here in Moscow and they all was equipped with hands guards, could you believe it. Except mine..
Like motorcycle we drive is a real tour-enduro))
I sprained my wrist when my 450 lb bike handle bar fell on it, when a UPS truck
turned toward me when I was already leaning right to turn.

It is one TALL heavy bike: unless you like recovering 8 weeks or more from
sprained wrists, I'd suggest getting -

Zeta Aluminum Drop Handguard Armor / XC Flasher Protector Kit - 7/8" Black / Red

$139.70 complete from ebay with blinkers (or tail lights) and light weight aluminum racing beams. It is THE BEST for Vs. 650, suggested from many kind guru's here on this site (they ROCK!)

Last edited by kawdog; 08-16-2015 at 11:14 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I got the Idea, thanks, pal!
It's my fourth season on a motorcycle, second on Versys, and I became real addicted to its high centre of mass and its specific, "delicate" maneverability, you know what I mean, don't you? Driving YZF-R6 I never thought - should I push bar cornering sharply, or better should I think this movement twice, just the way I do it driving Versys.
This year I hooked once for rope of Lorry's awning, driving between two car lines (don't know how to call it correctly - this is the only way to cross traffic jam in my city, we all drive this way), I was so close to falling right under its wheels - no fear, just one thought I felt - can I replace my bar endings with something smooth&elegant? Some sky-like guards, possibly?
Where were we.. I found and ordered Zeta, but stock bar ends I decided to remove and try what will it be, vibrations, etc.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I got the Idea, thanks, pal!
It's my fourth season on a motorcycle, second on Versys, and I became real addicted to its high centre of mass and its specific, "delicate" maneverability, you know what I mean, don't you? Driving YZF-R6 I never thought - should I push bar cornering sharply, or better should I think this movement twice, just the way I do it driving Versys.
This year I hooked once for rope of Lorry's awning, driving between two car lines (don't know how to call it correctly - this is the only way to cross traffic jam in my city, we all drive this way), I was so close to falling right under its wheels - no fear, just one thought I felt - can I replace my bar endings with something smooth&elegant? Some sky-like guards, possibly?
Where were we.. I found and ordered Zeta, but stock bar ends I decided to remove and try what will it be, vibrations, etc.
I tried them w/o the stock bar ends at first because my mechanic thought they looked better. What that does is moves the dampening effect from the bar ends to the middle of the handguards where your hands are (center of weight of handguards): BAD news!

More weight will be added later since the center of gravity is still shifted inside the handguards even with the end weights, but not near as BAD as handguards w/o bar end weights. Thinking more about it, trial and error would be best with adjustable weight ends, since additions, dynamic, and oscillating forces would make it a guestimate anyway. I would be grateful for any results from your experimentation

Ball park guessing, for me, it would be about 150% of stock weight ends. When the vibration keeps going down and then gets worse is one step past perfect. Before I added my handguards (mirror extenders, cigarette lighter power, Pazzo shorty levers, ...?), it was pretty close to balanced perfect. Each side may need to be balanced different, but the results would be worth it!

Last edited by kawdog; 08-16-2015 at 07:34 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I think this bar ends illuminate vibrations of the whole bar with forkes, not pieces covered with gripes only.. But of course you're right, it serves the purpose it was developed for. But you know, I was driving my R6 for 5-6 month with one bar end left (it crashed before) and after the moment I installed couple of new onces I didn't notice any difference.
Let's see, the better way - just to try it..
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
...I found and ordered Zeta, but stock bar ends I decided to remove and try what will it be, vibrations, etc.
I've run Zeta XCs w/OUT stock bar-ends for AT LEAST 70,000 miles.

NO problem w/ vibes...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode