Vs. 650 Riders, Show me your dual horns! Please! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vs. 650 Riders, Show me your dual horns! Please!

After getting a dual wire harness for my horns with a relay in them, I'm trying to figure how to put them behind the fairing. Fast Eddie has a great place on the left side under the fairing beside the tank, but the right side doesn't look like a PIAA horn will fit.

Someone else put one under the fairing, but it was probably where Fast Eddie put his, and maybe used the stock location for the other horn. That may be what I do too for now, but it would be sweet to cover the horns so I don't need the stupid bottom rain cover that muffles the horn with wind, etc...

Maybe I need one slim line PIAA or another smaller horn that is just as loud. Unless things are shuffled around under the tank cover, the left side looks like the only covered area for a single horn as big as the standard PIAA.

THANKS! Show me a miracle location! Please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Under the Left Tank fairing is a winner, and I like what Joe did on his 2009 on the right side. Even the stock position has the PIAA horn sticking out with no real frontal coverage. So this is plan A with 125 dB on both sides with no stupid caps on the PIAA horns.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-11-2015 at 12:41 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Thanks Faotoman. The right side looks good when I can figure out where you are attaching the horn to.

Mine on the Left side has California pollution plastic blob there, so Fast Eddie's inside the gas tank fairing is a pretty slick job. Otherwise, I may opt for that on the left too: except it might get loud on both sides next to my knees. At least now, I'll have one facing to the ground from under the tank. Too bad both won't fit there back to back (??)

My horn was really waffling when I did not use it much, so hopefully the relays, voltage light, and battery level lights will give me a handle on what's going on if it is still a problem. It should fix it though.

Thanks again! I don't know what that siren is on the left of your bike is, but it almost looks illegal in the States here
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:08 AM

No heat issues from headers, recently replaced with new Piaa dual horns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150103_073244.jpg (54.6 KB, 444 views)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
No heat issues from headers, recently replaced with new Piaa dual horns.
I didn't think you were supposed to loosen the single steel shaft coming from the horn to radially adjust it: or that was in the instructions anyway I thought.

You don't get any water up them without a cap? Then why are you replacing them?

Thanks, it looks like a good blasting position if the water doesn't go in them without the caps on. That's sticking them out there bouncing off the ground for sure. I bet they are loud!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Look at this funky monkey from across the pond. It's definitely worth sticking my head up there to check it out since it's been done! Not bad.

Except it looks like a highly custom adventure bike conversion (?)

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Lol, a 110 dB OOGA horn for $9.99. I bet people remember you when they see you coming Maybe dual OOGA horns would be good for lane splitting! It would certainly get their attention

Last edited by kawdog; 08-11-2015 at 10:07 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
...Otherwise, I may opt for that on the left too: except it might get loud on both sides next to my knees. At least now, I'll have one facing to the ground from under the tank. Too bad both won't fit there back to back (??)....
Suggestion - put the PIAS in the FOR SALE section, and buy a WOLO at Harbor-Freight.

EVEN under the fairing it is VERY loud, and the "ease-of-packaging" under there is worth the change!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 05:33 PM

OR in my case....

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 PM

same for the other side

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
OR in my case....

You made my day....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Suggestion - put the PIAS in the FOR SALE section, and buy a WOLO at Harbor-Freight.

EVEN under the fairing it is VERY loud, and the "ease-of-packaging" under there is worth the change!

Fast Eddie,

I put them both under the front headlight pivoted on the same nut and put the wired relay in the harness. So good so far. I found out yesterday what was wrong with my horn before, the terminals were loose on the first horn of the series (doah!) But you were right, it is much better on a relay with bigger wires from the relay to the horn.

HOW DID you hook up your voltage light? I heard it needed a relay and I brought one but the mechanic was a little lost on how to hook it up without a wiring diagram. It worked at first but started freaking out once I got on the expressway for some reason, so evidently it does need a relay. Any tips??

What did you do today?

My dual PIAA horns mounted under my headlight with relay and dual horn wire harness with thicker wires from relay to horn (BEEP BEEP!)

My dash from: 12:00 - tach,
2:00 above my radiator temp gage - voltage multicolored light, . [new]
3:00 - radiator temp gage, .................................................. .......[new]
6:00 - heated grip element controller dial/light
7:30 - lighter/power on handlebars,
9:00 - dial clock. .................................................. .......................[new]

My battery tender wire to the battery (connected to charger) and my wire (laying on shiny horizontal beam to right) to attach when riding to charge usb items in my trunk.

My dual USB charger in my trunk ready to rock in waterproof Seahorse 720 box;routed from under my seat to under and through my box bottom with silicone seal.

I also checked my chain sag was 1" (Progressive Suspension spec - 3/4" to 1") and checked my chain tension at the tightest place (both adjustment measures with me sitting on my bike), and adjusted my warmed up idle to 1500 rpm's.

It took a while figuring out what I needed done and it all went relatively smooth except the voltage light freaking out once warmed up and on the expressway. That has me concerned since I don't want to burn a shunt out

Any advice on a wiring diagram for the relay on the Voltage light would be appreciated. THANKS!!

Last edited by kawdog; 08-11-2015 at 11:20 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

http://www.signaldynamics.com/conten...STRUCTIONS.pdf

Last edited by kawdog; 08-12-2015 at 01:26 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Kawdog is right: NO relay needed - I wired it into the DRL on the right side, as in these pics....

ALSO wired my GPS thru the same wires, BUT w/ the GPS "thingee" inline...! (TOP arrow....)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
It has probably been 3 years since I have used a horn on the road. I guess I am getting better at not getting into those situations in the first place.

Or maybe the Hi-Vis gear really works.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, it's working now. When my heated grip elements strobe, the light turns yellow/red but does not blink red and keeps going back to green. I'll start turning it off before I get home, starting at 5 min, 10 min, etc... I'm glad to finally have a little visibility on my electrics (especially) and my radiator fluid temps. Both seem to be working fine (so far.)

Thanks again for your photographic instructions. Do you have heated grip elements or anything that pulls juice that you can see from your voltage light? Adjusting my idle to 1.5k rpms really helped out overall, but every now and then when it turns red sitting at a red light, I'll slightly bump the throttle to make it go green again.

At least my clock and radiator temp gage are all internal hearing aid batteries and are good for a few years per battery supposedly. All I've got to do electronically in the foreseeable future is to optimize what I got routed to most efficient source by the most efficient means. At least the dual horns w/new HD wire harness ROCK! Passing thousands of cars in LA, 1% A-holes can reach up to about 20 or so sometimes give or take: downtown on the busiest expressways anyway. Most cars on expressways are very good though. I think some are driving while looking in their rear view mirrors looking at me and inadvertently swerving toward me because they can't see on the other side at all: well that's a theory anyway.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-12-2015 at 11:53 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
...Adjusting my idle to 1.5k rpms really helped out overall, but every now and then when it turns red sitting at a red light, I'll slightly bump the throttle to make it go green again....
My '15 goes "red" when I'm idling and the fan kicks ON.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My '15 goes "red" when I'm idling and the fan kicks ON.
My Cycle Gear Magnaboost (Chinese Cycle gear product) flaked out. The sales rep said it was better than Battery Tender, which I believed him in a hurry. With ear plugs, tinnitus, and 1500 rpm idle, I'd need a fan light to tell the fan was on, lol.

I have picked up the that the heater grips and beeping my horn a lot in LA traffic (which I don't do normally) WILL run the battery down: it's either honking or toasting my mits - not both! Well, I may have gotten a little carried away with it And my Cycle Gear charger may have been out for a long time not getting a good charge.

When the radiator fluid does not bypass the radiator it is running about 220 to 222 degrees F. It flashes the last steady state temp when the radiator was used and the actual temp at the adapter 24/7. For $60 complete, it rocks!

Just a tricky 3 days after all assemblies installed, and finally all are working like I want for my Supermoto Touring deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode