Gel Seats or pads?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gel Seats or pads??

Anyone had any experience with a gel seat or pad?

It's for my wife on the back, for the most part, but if it's a full seat it might be worth it for my behind as well.

I'm just wondering how much of a difference they make? and with a pad is there much movement??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 AM

Air pad and custom seat

I can't speak directly to a gel pad, but I did use an air pad in my bike (not a Versys...yet) and it was a good stopgap. It made an intolerable seat (for me) tolerable. Then I had a seat custom made. What an unbelievable difference. The stock seat was literally painful for me after 1-2 hours. With the custom seat I've done 12 hour days (only stopping to fuel) with no more than a mild bit of numb butt at the end.

I had mine done by Rick Mayer http://www.rickmayercycle.com/index.html but there are several others available. $429 to reshape both the drivers and pillions seats and cover in vinyl. I had my seat made taller than stock and I requested a firmer than standard foam. No extra charge for that. Rick even threw in a backrest pad for my Givi topbox (I had to fab up a plywood plate and mounting system, Rick padded it and covered it with a cover that matched the topstiching on the seat)

Last edited by rwven; 04-27-2008 at 07:51 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 PM

The Gel Seat available from Kawasaki is horrible. It's not any better than the stock seat.
I would only buy it for reach. It is 2" shorter. However, the seat to peg distance is unbearable. I bought one and am keeping it only for the few times my wife rides the Vs.

I am going the custom seat route as well thru Sargent. I'll post a review once I get my seat back from the shop.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxrash View Post
The Gel Seat available from Kawasaki is horrible. It's not any better than the stock seat.
I would only buy it for reach. It is 2" shorter. However, the seat to peg distance is unbearable. I bought one and am keeping it only for the few times my wife rides the Vs.

I am going the custom seat route as well thru Sargent. I'll post a review once I get my seat back from the shop.
Let us know how the Sargent seat works out.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 PM

I used a gel pad on my 1150rt riding out to Wyoming, it starts to feel hard as hell like the seat itself after a while, and it's holds heat and cold if you leave it on the bike, switched to an airhawk cushion, much better way to go, short of a custom seat
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 AM

I used a sheepskin pad from http://www.alaskaleather.com/ on my ride a couple weeks ago. It worked pretty good. I don't think I could have lasted as long as I did on the stock seat without it. It made the ride so much more comfortable.

I've also been talking with the people at Corbin and I'm possibly taking my bike down there so they can get the molds made for the Versys. I haven't heard anything on when they want to do this so I'm gonna give them a call again tomorrow.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM

I have the taller gel seat from Kawasaki, its 100% better than the stock seat. My wife doesn't slide about on it. Its a little harder than stock but it moulds after a short while and I can now ride 300 miles + in one day.
I understand the shorter seat is 50mm lower and 30mm narrower than stock, this would give less support distribution, that would not be good.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 07:28 PM

Taller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
I have the taller gel seat from Kawasaki, its 100% better than the stock seat. My wife doesn't slide about on it. Its a little harder than stock but it moulds after a short while and I can now ride 300 miles + in one day.
I understand the shorter seat is 50mm lower and 30mm narrower than stock, this would give less support distribution, that would not be good.
Caveman,on the Kawi website the only seat I see for the Versys is the lower one.What is the info on the taller one you referred to? Thanks......Lefty.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw paw View Post
Caveman,on the Kawi website the only seat I see for the Versys is the lower one.What is the info on the taller one you referred to? Thanks......Lefty.
That sucks, its sounds like you dont get the options we get here in UK.

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/product.as...445DF773&Sub=5
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 AM

Wow, you UK folks sure have a lot more options than us. C'mon Kawi, get that stuff over here!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Okay, finally got my seat modified and had a decent ride on it.
I had Sargent Cycle (sargentcycle.com) do a seat upgrade. I had them upgrade the foam, change the rise (to get my parts off the tank), widen and increase the seat height.
Upon inspection, the work is excellent, seat looks good.

What a difference in the ride, the seat is so much more comfortable. The sliding into the tank is gone and I have much more support on my legs and lower back.

Well worth the cost (somewhere under $300, don't remember exactly, price sheet is on their website). I believe they did as good as you can do on the stock seat pan.
The ultimate solution is going to be a custom built seat with a wider seat pan (i'm 6'6", 265).

I still would like a little more distance between the pegs and seat, so I'm going to look at lowering the pegs.

All in all, I am extremely happy with the Sargent upgrade.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM

can you post some pics of it
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Jen

I posted about my experience with the "lower" gel seat here: http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/sho...98&postcount=7
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
I used a sheepskin pad from http://www.alaskaleather.com/ on my ride a couple weeks ago. It worked pretty good. I don't think I could have lasted as long as I did on the stock seat without it. It made the ride so much more comfortable.
Did you get the plain sheepskin or the gel sheepskin pad? what size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode