Switched wiring for driving lights w/o using a relay? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Switched wiring for driving lights w/o using a relay?

I just installed a cheap wal-mart set of driving lights and have it installed using the on/off switch that came with them. I'm brand new to electrical wiring. I am hoping to be able to pick up an FZ-1 in the near future, but until then is there any way to wire the lights so that they will be come on with the bike without using an FZ-1 or another relay? Like, is it possible to tap the hot wire that normally goes to the battery, into say the headlight wire? Will that overload the headlight fuse?

It's probably going to be a few weeks before I can afford to pick up the FZ-1 but in the mean time, it's really a pain to remember to turn off the driving lights and would love to find a short term solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:46 PM

It might be too hard on the h/l circuit and fuse to handle the additional wattage of the driving lights.

You can buy a 30amp horn/light relay like this:

http://www.boardrelays.com/Detail.as...303.100_BU5083

from most any auto parts store (or maybe even WalMart). Usually around $5 or less.

In the wiring diagram shown in the above link:

Hook your driving lights' switch up to terminal 87.

Run a fused wire from you battery positive to terminal 30.

Splice into your low-beam wire and run it to terminal 85.

Run a ground wire to terminal 86.

Ignore terminal 87a.

(These are standard terminal numbers you will see on all relays of this type.)

Make sure all connections are insulated with tape or heat shrink tubing (including 87a).

When your low beam comes on it will trip the relay and complete the circuit between your battery and the driving light switch. When you turn off the key it will "turn off" the relay which will break the connection from the battery to the driving lights.

You will only be adding the wattage of the relay to your h/l circuit, which is negligible.

Cheap and relatively easy.

Michael
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Awesome info Michael. Thanks!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 AM

This forum rocks! A never ending fountain of good ideas and folks with good intentions (other than maybe a certain skizzo character).

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM

Super, Micheal. Yes, a relay is a must.

Echoing what StonedGP said "This forum rocks"!

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I went by the local auto parts store and picked up a relay and connectors. I'm sitting down to start this job, but one question: Where is the best place to tap the low beam? Just coming from the back of the headlight? Or is there a better place? And which wire (color) should I tap into?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Well, I figured it out. I successfully wired in my driving lights through a relay to my low beams!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 AM

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Congrats!
I want to do this too, can you give some details please?
thx!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
Alright, I went by the local auto parts store and picked up a relay and connectors. I'm sitting down to start this job, but one question: Where is the best place to tap the low beam? Just coming from the back of the headlight? Or is there a better place? And which wire (color) should I tap into?
I realize you answered your own question, but I'll go ahead and answer it anyway.

First of all, there is a service manual available on this site in .pdf format. It rocks! Download yourself a copy:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...e+parts+manual

The wiring diagram is on page 16-14 (page 502 in the .pdf file). It indicates that the 2 wires going to the low beam are Black/Yellow and Blue/Yellow. Black/Yellow is always ground on Kawasakis (and some other motorcycles). So for triggering your relay, you want to splice into the Blue/Yellow wire somewhere behind the headlight.

Use a splice like this:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=701

These splices allow you to tap into an existing wire without cutting it. These are also available at most any auto parts store.

Michael
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Post some pics! I am thinking some lights may be my first FARKLE....

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
Use a splice like this:
An even nicer splice is a Posi-Tap

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people dont have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I gotta make this quick (got a meeting to go to). Here's a couple pics I snapped of the initial install. Lights are the $20 pair at Wal Mart, I believe another couple members use the exact same ones. Haven't tried them out yet at night (tonight will be the first time) but they sure are bright in the garage.

I used the reflector mount on the front fenders to mount the lights. I used some washers along with a plastic spacer (although I'm switching to aluminum when I find the time) to run a bolt through the light mount. I then used basic cable housing (fabric finger trap kind for computers) to run the wires through. I only had one size but I plan on redoing everything with a smaller size when I can find the time to. The wires are run up underneath the gauge panel and through the rightside fairing.

I did use the included switch just incase I ever want to turn them off. From there it goes through the fairing under the black plastic piece below the seat and to the battery area. That's where I installed the relay and tucked that away underneath the wiring harness (pics to come soon of that). I actually realized that if I ever want to add a fuse block with relay, I've already done the wiring for it

All in all it was a pretty straightforward install when I finally figured out how to do it. I followed the procedure in an above post to hook up the relay and wham, the lights only come on when the engine is running.

I'm not sure about the durability of these lights or even the mounting location. But, since I didn't have to drill or cut anything, I can always change the location later if I don't like them where they're at. I do know that my buddies ahead of me on a group ride yesterday knew exactly which bike I was. The one with the crazy triangle of light in the mirror!

I'll take some pics of the relay and tap location when I can borrow my wife's camera tonight or tomorrow. My iPhone just doesn't cut it for these pics. And tonight I'll try to remember to snap a couple pics at night with the lights on.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Nice installation!!

I want to install LED driving lights, can I wire them in parallel with the city lights?
LEDs take about 2W each, compared with 5W city lights.

Versys 2015 Green
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi chid, thanks! I'm brand new to this stuff so from what I understand, it's not good to run anything "off of" the hot wire for any given component (i.e. wiring the driving lights hot wire from the city lights hot wire).

That said, if you use a relay (or fuse box w/relay) you will be wiring the hot wire straight to the battery. In that case the driving lights are pulling all it's power from the battery and not the hot wire going to the city lights. Then, once you've run that, you can wire the relay switch wire to the city lights so that whenever the city lights are on, so are the driving lights.

Hope this answered your question!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Thx!

I think I'll install a Fuzeblock and install 2-3 things. I don't want to run too many wires and relays

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode