Crash Bars - Page 6 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Regarding 2015+ 650...

I really like the width of the Dimotiv engine bars ($278), but I'm seeing a too-good-to-pass-up price on a pair of Puig guards ($168). And then there's these from Fehling (photo below) for $129. These prices include shipping.

Can anyone comment on any of these or share pictures? Comments online are virtually non-existent.

I'm limited in my choices due to interference with my forward-facing auxiliary lights.

Last edited by brock29609; 08-17-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 119 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Turn Signal Protection? Ain't a gonna happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRK View Post
Hi, i want to know a good crash bars for the new Versys 2015, that protects the front turn signals? all the crash bars that Iíve found doesnít protect them, and i know that in a fall the plastic part that holds the turn signals is going to break easily (it already happened to me)
You'll see Congress actually DO something, free booze, and a really hot girl ask for your phone number before you'll find something that protects those idiot turn signals. They're designed to sacrifice themselves at any opportunity to do so - Kawasaki's designers are in cahoots with the OEM part companies to boost sales.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
post #103 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 PM

Garage
I don't know where you bought the Fehling bars for $129, they were about $190 shipped, though I suppose since this last post was almost a year ago they raised the price! I bought the bars, and they were at my doorstep 2 days later, from Cologne Germany!

I am going to do a write up on the install, as there are only very dark pictures included of them installed included. They are really nice, and seem to be very strong! I will also show a line of contact from ground to handlebar to show what they protect as well. I'm happy with it, even though it took 2.5 hours of fiddling around to get it installed!

post #104 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:54 PM

I'm looking for crash bars that will work with a SW-Motech skid plate. It mounts directly to the front top engine mounts (L&R), and to the rear lower engine mount. Additionally, the skid plate itself may be in the way of some of the crash bars. Does anyone have experience with crash bars and a skid plate? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2487.JPG (85.7 KB, 62 views)
post #105 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:55 PM

I forgot to mention it is a 2009 model. Thx
post #106 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Woods View Post
I'm looking for crash bars that will work with a SW-Motech skid plate. It mounts directly to the front top engine mounts (L&R), and to the rear lower engine mount. Additionally, the skid plate itself may be in the way of some of the crash bars. Does anyone have experience with crash bars and a skid plate? Thanks!

My Hepco/Becker Crash Bars were nowhere close to interfering with my Algard Engine Guard on my 2009.....

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #107 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an Algard skid plate with SW Motech crash bars..... no worries and you can still run the plastic shields down there.

But you should know that "Algard" is long since extinct. A German skid plate you won't find around likely anymore, unless someone has a used one as take off from ebay.

post #108 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 PM

Based on the marketing video at Twisted Throttle, the SW Motech skid plate fits with the SW Motech crash bars on the 2007-2009 models.

No Video

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #109 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Just put a set of Touratechs on my 2016 this week. Heading out on the road for pavement and the WABDR here in a few weeks. Hopefuly no field testing will be going on but you never know. They went on slick as can be and are totslly compatible with the SW Skid plate.
post #110 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have the oem engine guards. The previous owner installed them and tested them in his driveway...Doh!

Just checked on the price of these. Wow definitely not cheap. He also installed the oem hand guards which are also expensive.

Guess I scored.

https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...ame-slider-set

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #111 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:43 AM

I use this.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
post #112 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:59 AM

read thru this thread. i have hep becker engine guards with BB storm hand guards. i found the guards that look just like HB, but have the metal loop projecting out very interesting, re better protection for the legs in the event of a tip over or lowside. whatever one gets, it needs to project far enough out to protect the radiator. also agree that if the bike is going over, BAIL OUT! so it doesn't catch your leg and injure it.
post #113 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:13 PM

Garage
T-Rex Engine and Luggage Guards

I have the T-Rex Engine and Luggage Guards. I LOVE them. I've seen some complaints about them from a couple people, and I've noticed a lack of representation of them in the forums, so I'd like to dispel those negative opinions one complaint/question at a time. NOTE: It looks like I have the newer version of T-Rex's Gen 3 Versys crash bars. Some people have been reviewing the old ones, and these questions/complaints have been about those--they WERE a poorer design. I'll add to this post once they reply to my email about whether this is the final version.

"They don't seem sturdy."
They are VERY sturdy, beefy, heavy steel (really surprisingly heavy... probably adds 20 pounds to the bike?) with generous welds. If you look at the primary structural bar, it bends back around and is welded to itself, which seems much stronger than welding separate bar structures together on the same side (looking at you, Givi). One of the complaints I've seen is that there are too many weld points, but I think the actual product is an extremely well-designed structure that looks and feels sturdy from all angles. I've also seen and read about quite a few people taking asphalt naps with these engine bars on, and all of them said the bars and bike both held up wonderfully.

"They're only attached by the engine bolts and some dinky frame clamps."
So the engine bolts are obviously one of the strongest mounting points on the bike and they can withstand a lot of shear force--several reputable crash bars use them as their only connection point, in fact. The problem with that is the bars are likely to twist and bend around that one point in a crash. T-Rex Racing addressed this--and solved it, I'd say--with some seriously sturdy frame clamps on either side. The engine bolts are plenty capable of keeping the engine guards attached in any reasonable-speed crash, and the clamps are plenty capable of keeping them in place. The effect is that the bars will perform as designed from beginning to end of the impact and subsequent slide. Furthermore, the right and left guards are attached to one another in the front at the top and at the bottom. This looks like a way to let both bars absorb and distribute an impact that occurs on one side. Let me tell you, having grabbed and shaken the bike by these engine guards with all my might, I'm convinced. They're a part of my frame now--they are beautifully overengineered and they aren't going anywhere.

"They don't seem well designed."
I actually chose the T-Rex guards BECAUSE they have a clever design. There are removable aluminum skid plates at the contact points at the bottom of each guard (and the contact points on the luggage guards) and there's a high-density plastic puck on the third (and hopefully final!) contact point halfway up. If the bike gets dropped and slides, it will chew up these sacrificial components and likely leave the bars themselves relatively unscathed. Then you can order new aluminum sliders and plastic pucks, and the bars will be good as new, assuming they didn't bend too much. With Givi, etc, you'll wear the scars of any drop for as long as you have the bars installed. It's two levels of protection--one level protects from cosmetic damage in minor falls at the cost of a couple aluminum plates, and at the second level, the bars themselves protect from structural damage in more serious falls.

"They're expensive."
Well... aren't all crash bars? Better to pay for quality in this category.

"How hard is the installation?"
Easy peasy. Just need a torque wrench that goes as low as 8 ft/lbs and as high as I think 35? Don't remember the exact number. If you're careful but deliberate and you're doing it for the first time, it's a 30 minute install for the luggage guards and maybe 45-60 for the engine guards.

"But they get in the way of removing the plastics."
No they don't!! I just had my fairings off today and it was a breeze. I was worried about this too at first, but all the bolts are accessible and while you may need to do a little more finagling than you used to to slide the big pieces of plastic out from behind them, you certainly do NOT have to remove the engine guards for any plastic removal or oil changes. It would need to be some pretty invasive maintenance for them to be in the way. The luggage guard doesn't get in the way of anything either, any more than the LT bags do already. No complaints there, except that the bike might look a little silly if I take the bags off.

"Don't they get in the way of the OEM light bar?"
Yeah, but they also offer you lots of options for new mounting points... I don't have the OEM light bar, but I've personally never really understood this complaint.

"I don't know that company--how's the customer service?"
Really good. There was actually a manufacturing error on the luggage guard that prevented one of the frame clamps from lining up, and they sent a replacement that arrived just a couple days later. Very painless. They were also really helpful by email about all the questions I had before purchasing. 5/5.

"Aesthetics?"
Unparalleled. Here are some pictures below.

Hope this is what you guys are looking for. Let me know if you have any more questions or want to see any closer angles of something in particular.

quexpress and HoosierFordMan like this.

Last edited by C-17 Pilot; 02-08-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Formatting
post #114 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:40 AM

Darn, that bike looks positively bulletproof in those!

Possibly the only thing that could get damaged during a crash would be the indicators. To be fair, they stick out so far, it's probably better to replace them with flush ones rather than try to design crash bars wide enough.
onewizard and C-17 Pilot like this.

2015 Versys 650
post #115 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
You'll see Congress actually DO something, free booze, and a really hot girl ask for your phone number before you'll find something that protects those idiot turn signals. They're designed to sacrifice themselves at any opportunity to do so - Kawasaki's designers are in cahoots with the OEM part companies to boost sales.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
Just to let you know, my V650/17 had 3 falls, my stupidity but..., anyway, the third fall broke the right side cowling (part 55028-0516-xx). The turn signal was intact. It was a pain in the neck to install it back on the new cowling ($230+), however, after a long fight, I won!!!
So the fairings are what is going to go.
However, in the 2 previous falls, nothing happened.
post #116 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Garage
@C-17 Pilot:
Do these bars interfere with oil change?
That is, do you have to remove them to change the oil (filter or plug)?
Thanks.

Media, PA
Versys 650ABS/ 2017
post #117 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
deleted - duplicate post

Last edited by twowheels; 03-09-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #118 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-17 Pilot View Post

I can't see swing arm spools on the rear swing arm.

If you are not aware, these will do dual duty by protecting the swing arm and also providing a lifting point for the rear spool stand. Speaking of which how do you do basic maintenance task without a spool stand and swing arm spools?

Last edited by twowheels; 03-09-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #119 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I've just installed the RDMoto crash bars on my '15 V650. They protect the lower engine quite well, which none of the other brands do.

The RDMoto kit is pretty good. They provide replacement bolts and nuts except for one nut which they want you to reuse the original. But the threads are different and I had to run to Home Depot and buy a nut. It could be Kawasaki uses different hardware at different times or for different markets, so I don't blame RDMoto for the mismatch.

The bars seem sturdy. The paint is well done. Workmanship seems fine.

The lower right side bar was just a fraction of an inch off and I couldn't get the bolt through where it attaches to the motor mount down by the rider's right foot. A few minutes with a metal blade in a saber saw and the hole was easily enlarged. Again, this could be an issue with Kawasaki's manufacturing tolerances and not RDMoto's fault.

Overall I'm happy with these bars.
Hi Fly-Sig.
I have 2018 versys 650 and I also buy RD Moto crashbar, same like yours.
I wish to ask did you notice vibration which you didn't have before? (I notice them on hanlde bars, not on crash bars)
If yes did you find solution to remove them or reduce them.
I am shure that I get vibration in range 4-5k rpm after instalation that crash bar.
Also i added rubber washers under main connection point (M10 screw. bike - rubber - crash bar).
But when I was last week in official kawasaki dealership. main service guy tell me that i need to remove that extra rubber washer, because back part suffer because of that (i think that they mean on uper part where you use bolt M6).
Also they tell me that handguard also can reproduce vibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode