Crash Bars - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I saw an advert. for a crash-bar (out of Thailand) selling for around $169. Looks like the SW-Motech one w/ added protection. Can't find the ad. right now.
Was it for the rebranded Dimotiv ones? If so, It may have been what I bought. They were branded as:

"New Kawasaki R9 Versys 650 07-14 Motorcycle Bike Engine Guard Crash Bar Steel"

They were $135 on Ebay. Other than the crummy packing job which left them slightly scratched, I can't complain. They look pretty good. Hoping I don't need to test them, but if I do, I really hope they work.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Garage
Pic?

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I saw an advert. for a crash-bar (out of Thailand) selling for around $169. Looks like the SW-Motech one w/ added protection. Can't find the ad. right now.
This ?

LOP

post #44 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
Weekend leisure riding. Gets me out of the house. I don't plan on any dirt riding anytime soon, but I didn't say "never". As stated earlier, I'm new, so I don't plan on going aggressive without a lot more time in the seat. But, I've been prone to the "red mist" on occasion.
Despite riding a fair amount of dirt, now-and-then, I lowsided on my '08 at about 20 mph riding pavement, thru a hairpin, when my line put the front wheel onto the yellow line which was PLASTIC, not painted. INSTANT down...!

My crash bars and handguards did a VG job protecting the bike from damage, except that my shift-lever got bent.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #45 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
Pic?
Sorry for the delayed response. Not the best pic, but you can see them OK in this one. The bump out provides a nice place to rest your leg for a stretch on a long ride.

[IMG][/IMG]

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #46 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Can I get some more info on the pro moto upper crash bars from on page 2? on the white versys?
post #47 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Garage
Links for crash bars for 2015-16 V 650's

Quote:
Reviving this thread rather than create a new one... because I used the "search" feature

I'm looking for a set of crash bars for my 2015 V 650 and I've basically found three based on the recommendations of this thread and others. The aftermarket is still catching up and there isn't the wide field of products to choose from. This is what I've found, images included.

The SW-Motech

The Dimotiv

The RDMoto

I really want to like the SW-Motech Crash frames because they are available from reputable dealers (Twisted-Throttle, RevZilla, etc.) but they don't seem to cover as many parts as the other two products. I have no idea if anyone stateside carries the Dimotiv bars and the RDMoto are mostly on fleaBay.

I'm new to the motorcycle thing as this is my first bike and I've had it all of 2 months, so I would really like to hear what you more experienced riders think.
I too am looking at crash bars for my 2015 v 650 and really appreciate the photos 3dog. As part of my search, I've compiled a list of url's for the 4 crash bars that fit the 2015 v's.

Dimotiv
Dimotiv Engine Guard for Kawasaki Versys 650 2015 | eBay

RDMoto
Kawasaki Versys 650 2015 16 Crash Bars Engine Guard Frame Protector Black Rdmoto | eBay

Hepco Becker
Hepco & Becker Engine Guard for Kawsaki Versys 650 '15-

SW-motech
SW-MOTECH Crash Bars Kawasaki Versys 650 2015-2016-2016 - RevZilla

T-rex Racing - not for 2015
http://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Racing-K...dp/B016E4Y8TE/ Nice kit for bike protection but not available yet for 2015+ v's. They say they are working on it.

Feel free to add links if you find other crash bars.

Personally I like the SW-motech for its nice style, easy installation, and less interference with access for maintenance. But it looks like it offers less protection than the Dimotiv.
post #48 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:27 PM

I've just installed the RDMoto crash bars on my '15 V650. They protect the lower engine quite well, which none of the other brands do.

The RDMoto kit is pretty good. They provide replacement bolts and nuts except for one nut which they want you to reuse the original. But the threads are different and I had to run to Home Depot and buy a nut. It could be Kawasaki uses different hardware at different times or for different markets, so I don't blame RDMoto for the mismatch.

The bars seem sturdy. The paint is well done. Workmanship seems fine.

The lower right side bar was just a fraction of an inch off and I couldn't get the bolt through where it attaches to the motor mount down by the rider's right foot. A few minutes with a metal blade in a saber saw and the hole was easily enlarged. Again, this could be an issue with Kawasaki's manufacturing tolerances and not RDMoto's fault.

Overall I'm happy with these bars.
post #49 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I've just installed the RDMoto crash bars on my '15 V650. They protect the lower engine quite well, which none of the other brands do.

Overall I'm happy with these bars.
Fly-Sig,
Do you have any pictures of your finished install?

Mel

post #50 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Fly-Sig,
Do you have any pictures of your finished install?
I do. Is there anything in particular you'd like pictures of?

The smudges on the bars are dirt from my feet, not blemishes in the finish.

The instructions are a bit cryptic but actually do include all the info you need except for torque values. The engine mount bolts are 32 ft-lbs. The right footpeg mounting plate is 18 ft-lbs. There are a couple of fairing attach bolts which are snug but not cranked down. I don't recall a torque for those.

Do follow the order of assembly implied by the instructions, start with the left side then finish with the right. I recommend dry fitting everything first, then going back and using Loc-Tite and torquing everything down. Just in case something doesn't fit quite right or needs some jiggling to get into place.

Here are the bars as installed. You can see the bars don't come up as high as the advertising photos trick the eye into thinking they do. They are as the marketing photos show, but I was thinking they would look higher up than they really are.

The lower left bar nicely protects the engine. The bolt it attaches to is the lower engine mount. The kit comes with a new threaded rod and one Ny-Lock nut. You're supposed to re-use the original lock-nut on the other side but the threading was different so I bought a replacement at Home Depot for 50 cents.

The lower right side requires the foot peg plate be removed. No big deal. Do this as you're installing the left side because you can't remove the lower engine mount bolt with the plate installed. Attaching the foot peg plate is the last item on final re-assembly.

Here's the bolt hole I had to enlarge on the lower right mounting plate which attaches under the right foot peg. It just needed a tiny bit more room. The original slot was about 1/4" x 1/2".

The one frustration was fitting locknuts to the upper engine mount bolts. RDMoto supplied Ny-Lock nuts but they didn't fit in the cast slots in the engine casing. This photo is looking from the front. It is under the radiator and on the front of the cylinder casing. The bolt is sticking through but the nut is not yet installed. The recess where the nut sits is visible. The second picture is the other side so it appears reversed left/right from the first picture. This is the nut installed in the recess.

The Ny-Lock is too tall to fit, so I had to grind the top of the nut a little bit. No big deal with a grinding wheel. Alternatively, use a hand file or buy another style of lock nut. I used Loc-Tite on these nuts also.

post #51 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Garage
Fly-Sig,
Thanks, you covered everything I was curious about. Marketing photos vs. real world and all of the attachment points. Looks like you did a good job improvising with what was provided.

Mel

post #52 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Givi TN4114 for a 2015/16

Got these from Varashop - Homepage 138 euros

Bald to be wild
post #53 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 PM

I jut bought and installed the T-Rex engine guards with Side picks and small engine kid type plate. The fit and finish is very good, and they seem to be quite stout. very impressed with what I received for what I paid. Way better than Givi and the same price.

Cheers
post #54 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 11:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclava View Post
I jut bought and installed the T-Rex engine guards with Side picks and small engine kid type plate. The fit and finish is very good, and they seem to be quite stout. very impressed with what I received for what I paid. Way better than Givi and the same price.

Cheers
I'm really impressed with my T-Rex stands. Way less $ than Pit Bull, maybe not as nice, but I'm not trying to show off at the track either. Can't wait to see what T-Rex does for the 2015 Crash Bars.

Mel

post #55 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - some of those crash-bars look as tho' they have to be removed IF you're taking off the plastic side-fairings....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #56 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:23 PM

I really like the look of the hepco becker ones but I don't think that they will go on with factory led aux lights
post #57 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:59 PM

Today I became a believer in the RDMoto crash bars for the 2015. The cage around the lower engine was put to good use.

At the end of a long day of back country riding, I was tired and somehow got a bit sideways in a water crossing. We'd been back and forth across it 6 times during the day, but this time it didn't go so well! The bike ended up pretty much right where I was standing taking this picture of another rider in the group earlier in the day.

Anyhow, had I not had the lower protection, the engine would have taken a hit. The shift lever and foot peg probably would have taken more abuse, too. So count this as one vote for crash bars that wrap the lower engine.
KawaDMP likes this.
post #58 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 PM

anyone knows if the motowerks highway pegs can still be fitted with the dimotiv crashbars?

it looks like they would, with maybe a spacer on the left side's floating supporting point.

Last edited by dddd; 07-25-2016 at 08:05 PM.
post #59 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM

Looks like what I'm after but isn't listed on the Touratech USA website. Up to 3 month wait as well.
post #60 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I'm really impressed with my T-Rex stands. Way less $ than Pit Bull, maybe not as nice, but I'm not trying to show off at the track either. Can't wait to see what T-Rex does for the 2015 Crash Bars.

I'm hoping they come out soon as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in