Crash Bars - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
Dimotiv - love these. They help protect the bike and the leg plus a convenient prop to rest and/or stretch out the leg. Less expensive than many of the more popular brands also. Attachment 74793

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks. Do you have a source to buy them from? My search skills aren't strong enough apparently. '15 model year.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 10-27-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawasaki Versys 650 2015 Engine Guard Crash Frame Black Protector Rdmoto Europe | eBay

And it's $100 less than HB's too (??)

And use this for a search engine - not full of Google ads and it doesn't follow you (not as bad anyway.)

https://duckduckgo.com

Last edited by kawdog; 10-27-2015 at 11:10 PM.
post #23 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Thanks. Do you have a source to buy them from? My search skills aren't strong enough apparently. '15 model year.

Googled

dimotiv engine guards for Versys

Found several responses but only for 2007 - 2014 Versys. You could perhaps contact for 2015 availability.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #24 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Kawasaki Versys 650 2015 Engine Guard Crash Frame Black Protector Rdmoto Europe | eBay

And it's $100 less than HB's too (??)

And use this for a search engine - not full of Google ads and it doesn't follow you (not as bad anyway.)

https://duckduckgo.com
Where are you pricing the H&B bars? I just paid $225 for mine from Moto Machines and I got them 17 hours after ordering since I live nearby. The RD Moto bars on eBay are cheaper but with a $75 shipping charge they come to $265.
post #25 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutrbrau View Post
Where are you pricing the H&B bars? I just paid $225 for mine from Moto Machines and I got them 17 hours after ordering since I live nearby. The RD Moto bars on eBay are cheaper but with a $75 shipping charge they come to $265.
I have a bad memory or I got ripped off. Crash bars are a rush item when I get a new bike, so I always just go for HB usually, with radiator protection. In 5 hours after installation, that and my rear SW rack saved me a bundle, so I didn't get ripped too much though. But I don't usually check more than an afternoon on crash bars and dual horns after I get a new bike: or check more than an hour or two really.

It wasn't from Ebay or Amazon: it was from International Accessories from Europe I think. In mid-December, 2014, it was what I could find at that moment. All other accessories, I'm pretty close to the bottom dollar though

Last edited by kawdog; 10-28-2015 at 01:57 PM.
post #26 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM

I'm seriously thinking about frame sliders instead of crash bars. Nothing in either category looks like it will protect the turn signals, which means any tip or slide is going to take out at least the one black piece of plastic cowling. $200.

Dimotiv makes an interesting frame slider which does stick out enough that only the foot peg and handle bar end will touch the ground, plus the turn signal. Puig's frame slider looks like it does the same thing.
post #27 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM

I have SW Motech lower and Pro Moto upper on mine. Been down on a soft verge when off road and they did their job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4533.JPG (98.0 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4543.JPG (100.8 KB, 901 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4530.JPG (109.8 KB, 819 views)
post #28 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:04 PM

I'm personally torn between the SW-Motech (Sturdy, tested, and flow nicely with the lines of the bike) and the Dimotiv (Beefy, stick out further, look OK).

Personally, I feel that nothing will protect your legs better than some armored pants. It doesn't have to be a race suit either. Cyclegear sells a set of Street & Steel jeans with the CE armor in them. I have a pair, and they fit nice, and the protection is beefy.
post #29 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Nothing in either category looks like it will protect the turn signals, which means any tip or slide is going to take out at least the one black piece of plastic cowling. $200.
That's why I personally treat crash bars and frame sliders as devices that should protect the critical parts of the bike so that you can limp back home if you drop it, not as insurance for broken plastics. I have ordinary insurance for that.
Metalmad likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #30 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
That's why I personally treat crash bars and frame sliders as devices that should protect the critical parts of the bike so that you can limp back home if you drop it, not as insurance for broken plastics. I have ordinary insurance for that.
-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #31 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i went down with the help of minivan merging into me, had SW motech bars and not a single scratch on cowling. signal light got scratched, lightly .... did not break ...
post #32 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelollie View Post
I'm personally torn between the SW-Motech (Sturdy, tested, and flow nicely with the lines of the bike) and the Dimotiv (Beefy, stick out further, look OK).

Personally, I feel that nothing will protect your legs better than some armored pants. It doesn't have to be a race suit either. Cyclegear sells a set of Street & Steel jeans with the CE armor in them. I have a pair, and they fit nice, and the protection is beefy.

I'm a big fan of the Hepco Becker Crash Bars. I got hit by a car direct hit to the right side crash bar. Saved me and the bike a lot of damage, Just had to hit the scrapes on the bars with some touch up paint.

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #33 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Garage
Reviving this thread rather than create a new one... because I used the "search" feature

I'm looking for a set of crash bars for my 2015 V 650 and I've basically found three based on the recommendations of this thread and others. The aftermarket is still catching up and there isn't the wide field of products to choose from. This is what I've found, images included.

The SW-Motech

The Dimotiv

The RDMoto

I really want to like the SW-Motech Crash frames because they are available from reputable dealers (Twisted-Throttle, RevZilla, etc.) but they don't seem to cover as many parts as the other two products. I have no idea if anyone stateside carries the Dimotiv bars and the RDMoto are mostly on fleaBay.

I'm new to the motorcycle thing as this is my first bike and I've had it all of 2 months, so I would really like to hear what you more experienced riders think.
cpalioto likes this.

Mel

post #34 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I saw an advert. for a crash-bar (out of Thailand) selling for around $169. Looks like the SW-Motech one w/ added protection. Can't find the advert right now.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-14-2016 at 02:15 PM.
post #35 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
I'm new to the motorcycle thing as this is my first bike and I've had it all of 2 months, so I would really like to hear what you more experienced riders think.
What is your purpose and main use for the motorcycle?

I've found that the foot pegs and handlebar ends are what hit the pavement, along with the front turn signal. Luggage, too, if it is mounted. A frame slider or the SW-Motech would probably be enough protection for a basic slide on pavement. There are some frame sliders out there which look pretty sturdy. Plus axle sliders seem to make sense on the front.

On dirt or uneven surfaces, something could penetrate the plane formed by the foot pegs and handlebars. Then you would want more comprehensive protection. The Dimotiv looks like it would give a lot better protection than the SW-Motech, though I personally don't like how they stick out. But that's just my personal dislike of the aesthetics.

Since I will be doing some dirt and light adventure riding, I'll be going with the RDMoto unless a domestic source comes out with something similar before springtime.
post #36 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 02:18 AM

Changed to Hepco & Becker

I used to have the SW-Motech bars mounted on my Mk3 2015 but I found them a bit too minimalist for my liking and the type of roads that I ride on. So I changed for the Hepco & Becker Bars which seem to provide more protection.

At the same time I added the Hepco & Becker bash plate.

I now feel more comfortable and have a place to hang the driving lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-11 17.22.30 Reduced.jpg (45.1 KB, 739 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-11 17.22.27 Reduced.jpg (78.8 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-11 17.22.18 Reduced.jpg (48.4 KB, 773 views)
stonekillerz likes this.
post #37 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I have dropped my Versys with both fitted 3 times at a standstill
Slow learner Aus?
post #38 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Slow learner Aus?
Too honest
post #39 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
What is your purpose and main use for the motorcycle?
Weekend leisure riding. Gets me out of the house. I don't plan on any dirt riding anytime soon, but I didn't say "never". As stated earlier, I'm new, so I don't plan on going aggressive without a lot more time in the seat. But, I've been prone to the "red mist" on occasion.

Mel

post #40 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Too honest
That is a fine trait to have, can never be too honest.
Hang on- maybe in a situation like 'do you think that I'm getting fat, honey?'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode