update BE versys 09 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
update BE versys 09

Hi all, as some have read in the member introduction (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=84257) . I'm a new V-driver, I bought a used versys 2009 with 17.000km which needed some tlc. Don't know if anyone interested but here is a short update.

I started working on the bike thinking the plastidip would come off quite nice but offcourse it didn't! 1st problem, the guy did not disassemble the bike to spray the dip on, so the dip was everywhere... 2nd problem, again the guys an idiot, he didn't put enough layers on, so it wouldn't come off. Bit by bit I had to clean all the panels and after 3 full days they are finally clean again, and the paint is undamaged

I also reinstalled the stock exhaust because i just didn't like the laser ones, if anyone is interested in them let me know. I removed the handguards for now temporarily en replaced the controls from the heated grips to the dashboard.

Still i have a few problems and would be happy to hear if anyone can help:
The header pipes are black, rusty and dirty and I can't seem to get them clean or even the "somewhat gold original color"

The rear "I don't know what the English term is" has a big ugly scratch in it, how can i get rid of this? (paint repair kit, sticker on top,...)?

Thanks for reading and your help in advance. C ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before (1).jpg
Views:	302
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	68401   Click image for larger version

Name:	before (2).jpg
Views:	269
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	68409   Click image for larger version

Name:	before (3).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	68417   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	68425   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	68433  

Name:	after (1).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	68441   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_4.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	68449   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_5.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	68457   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_6.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	68465  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:33 PM

Garage
Wow. Amazing how that plasti-dip comes off! Cool colour underneath (from one biased observer

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:13 PM

There are big gnarly scratches on my swingarm for the PO's mishap with a lift.
I solved it with a sticker.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurens87 View Post
Hi all, as some have read in the member introduction (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=84257) . I'm a new V-driver, I bought a used versys 2009 with 17.000km which needed some tlc. Don't know if anyone interested but here is a short update.

I started working on the bike thinking the plastidip would come off quite nice but offcourse it didn't! 1st problem, the guy did not disassemble the bike to spray the dip on, so the dip was everywhere... 2nd problem, again the guys an idiot, he didn't put enough layers on, so it wouldn't come off. Bit by bit I had to clean all the panels and after 3 full days they are finally clean again, and the paint is undamaged

I also reinstalled the stock exhaust because i just didn't like the laser ones, if anyone is interested in them let me know. I removed the handguards for now temporarily en replaced the controls from the heated grips to the dashboard.

Still i have a few problems and would be happy to hear if anyone can help:
The header pipes are black, rusty and dirty and I can't seem to get them clean or even the "somewhat gold original color"

The rear "I don't know what the English term is" has a big ugly scratch in it, how can i get rid of this? (paint repair kit, sticker on top,...)?

Thanks for reading and your help in advance. C ya!
Don't know if Texan is proper English but we call the rear thing a swing arm. And a sticker is the easy solution. It is going to look very nice when you are finished,

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post

Don't know if Texan is proper English but we call the rear thing a swing arm. And a sticker is the easy solution. It is going to look very nice when you are finished,
Thanks! In proper Dutch it's called "achterbrug" roughly translated as "rear bridge" so if I had sad that no one would understand
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update 2.0

Hi all, next update here... I removed the header pipes on Monday to clean them up. I started cleaning and sanding them and noticed they where pretty rusty and on the bottom was a nasty scratch and dent. On wednesday I removed all the rust and then welded the scratch of the pipe so the dent also was all filled up again. Then sanded the whole thing. Started looking online for vht flameproof paint and discovered that it is not legal to sell or purchase in Belgium. So on thursay I went to an auto-shop and got some motip heat resistant paint that holds up to 800 Celsius. I followed the instructions, no primer, 3-5 layers and curing for 60 minutes at 160 Celsius. I don't know if its going to hold but I must say it looks really good and the paint is on after 100km of driving. So that's it so far. For me the bike is pretty much done, I need a sticker for the swingarm and a new tankpad but it's getting serviced on Tuesday and will get them then at the dealers place. I'm going to wait a week before i completely wash the bike to let the paint on the header pipes harden completely and in the future I will probably get some side racks + givi e21. I'm really happy i purchased the versys as it is an amazing bike to drive.

Bye all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20150731_20_17_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	68714   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150731_20_17_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	68722   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150731_20_54_16_Pro.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	68730   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150731_20_54_25_Pro.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	68738   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150731_20_54_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	68746  

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Excellent. The header pipes are impressive and look very nice. Now all you need is a sticker for the achterbrug.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Hi all, next update here... I removed the header pipes on Monday to clean them up. I started cleaning and sanding them and noticed they where pretty rusty and on the bottom was a nasty scratch and dent. On wednesday I removed all the rust and then welded the scratch of the pipe so the dent also was all filled up again. Then sanded the whole thing. Started looking online for vht flameproof paint and discovered that it is not legal to sell or purchase in Belgium. So on thursay I went to an auto-shop and got some motip heat resistant paint that holds up to 800 Celsius. I followed the instructions, no primer, 3-5 layers and curing for 60 minutes at 160 Celsius. I don't know if its going to hold but I must say it looks really good and the paint is on after 100km of driving. So that's it so far. For me the bike is pretty much done, I need a sticker for the swingarm and a new tankpad but it's getting serviced on Tuesday and will get them then at the dealers place. I'm going to wait a week before i completely wash the bike to let the paint on the header pipes harden completely and in the future I will probably get some side racks + givi e21. I'm really happy i purchased the versys as it is an amazing bike to drive.

Bye all!
Ha ha, you are never through! It just keeps getting better and better
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all and a new tankpad but it's getting serviced on Tuesday and will get them then at the dealers place. I'm going to wait a week before i completely wash the bike to let the paint on the header pipes harden completely and in the future I will probably get some side racks + givi e21. I'm really happy i purchased the versys as it is an amazing bike to drive.

Bye all!
Yes, the bike just gets better and better, I am not sure how long you have frequented this forum, just thought to mention if you are aware of the TPS tweaking, before I found the post I was about ready to sell the bike, now I don't see myself owning anything else before I give up riding.BTW you did a awesome job on those headers, keep us posted on how the paint stands up, I know one member that uses steel wool to clean them.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Yes, the bike just gets better and better, I am not sure how long you have frequented this forum, just thought to mention if you are aware of the TPS tweaking, before I found the post I was about ready to sell the bike, now I don't see myself owning anything else before I give up riding.BTW you did a awesome job on those headers, keep us posted on how the paint stands up, I know one member that uses steel wool to clean them.

Hi, can you give soms info about the tps tweaking? Not sure what you mean.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi, can you give soms info about the tps tweaking? Not sure what you mean.
It is a very long thread, and part of the vacuum hose modhttp://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661&highlight=tps&page=17

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=366

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...osition+sensor
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

I will give an update on the pipes when I put 5-6000 km on the bike, for now I've done 1000 km with them painted and they look like i just finished them. No discolouring or scratches so far.

The bike also got serviced this week, new oil, filters, new tyre,... and it feels even better driving now. I already bought a pannier rack and a set of kappa k21n and am now waiting for them to arive. Still needed is gps mount, new gps (i sold my previous one with my previous bike), flatfoot, givi backrest and maybe new windscreen and maybe some mor I do find alot online but usually ships from usa and the costs are really insane to Belgium. So everything in time if i get my hands on it here in europe... This being only my second bike I have to admit I love it, I liked my er6n, but the versys really got me, I try to drive as much as possible! Few more pics added, enjoy the scenery of Belgian fields
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20150808_20_15_35_Pro.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	69162   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150808_20_15_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	69170   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150808_20_16_00_Pro.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	69178   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150808_20_16_13_Pro.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	69186  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
laurens87 - are you STILL looking for an OWNERS MANUAL?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
laurens87 - are you STILL looking for an OWNERS MANUAL?
Hi, my dealer gave me one, so not needed anymore. Thanks anyway!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:56 PM

Hey, Laurens87 - If you still need a sticker for that rear bridge scratch, I'll send a couple from my nephew's Kaw. dealership in Wilson, North Carolina, USA. Just PM me your address and I'll post a couple to you. THANKS - Stan
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarpatch View Post
Hey, Laurens87 - If you still need a sticker for that rear bridge scratch, I'll send a couple from my nephew's Kaw. dealership in Wilson, North Carolina, USA. Just PM me your address and I'll post a couple to you. THANKS - Stan
Hi, that would be nice. But don't know if you want to mail them to Belgium? Else I will send you my adress in pm. Thanks in advance!
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
I already bought a pannier rack and a set of kappa k21n and am now waiting for them to arive.
I think you'll really like that luggage set up. The Givi side racks and top case rack do fit together like hand-in-glove. But Givi is notorious for terrible written installation instructions. Here are a couple pics that may help you when you put yours all together:

Your bike should look a lot like this when you have it done:

Always trust your cape.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I think you'll really like that luggage set up. The Givi side racks and top case rack do fit together like hand-in-glove. But Givi is notorious for terrible written installation instructions. Here are a couple pics that may help you when you put yours all together:...

LOL, the main reason I chose that setup was because i googled for "versys + givi 21 (kappa's are the same)" and saw some pictures of a "kwikasfaki-bike"... yours that looked awesome. Nice to have you replying

How do you like the bike, i have the exact same one. And if I may 2 questions
1) Is the windshield flip any good? I am 178cm (5' 10")
2) Did you do the tps and/or the vacuum mod? Did it do good to the bike and what rpm are you getting idle? Mine starts cold 1600rpm and warm idle is only 900rpm, I do think the bike sounds fine but I keep reading it should be 1300 idle outside temperature is around 25C (77F) these days in Belgium. Thanks in advance!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
...Mine starts cold 1600rpm and warm idle is only 900rpm, I do think the bike sounds fine but I keep reading it should be 1300 idle outside temperature is around 25C (77F) these days in Belgium. Thanks in advance!
Yes - set your idle at 1300!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
And if I may 2 questions
1) Is the windshield flip any good? I am 178cm (5' 10")
2) Did you do the tps and/or the vacuum mod? Did it do good to the bike and what rpm are you getting idle?
I flipped the stock screen after a few weeks of trying it upright in all 3 positions. I had buffetting in all 3, but it disappeared with the flip. Currently I run a stock screen flipped which I cut down to about 2 thirds the size and run in the lowest position. I'm 5'8". I like having my head in the wind.

I do have a VStream screen which I used on my long tour this Summer and it was nice for the highway driving, but not my first choice for my regular commute and day rides.

I have not done the tps or vacuum mod. My '09 with 57,000kms idles at about 1200 rpm.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode