resurrect beat windscreens / helmet shields - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
resurrect beat windscreens / helmet shields

for making windscreens and helmet shields look brand new, seriously, try Novus.

the prices are way better than similar auto targeted products (amazon has 64oz containers for less than auto places sell 6oz ones).

i used to use this on acrylic fish tanks back in the day, and just happened to find a couple of partial bottles the other day. i used it on my stock screen and helmet shield this past weekend and OMG, presto! (ok.. in reality.. 10 minutes with a buffer) like new. 5K miles of wear = gone.

novus comes in three formulas. #1 more of a cleaner/polish, #2 for light scratching, and #3 for heavier scratches and heavy UV haze.

while #3 says for heavy scratching, i highly recommend starting with it, even for light scratches. once the scratches are gone, finish the job with formula #2 (much lighter grit) to buff out any haze that 3 could leave behind. you could use #1 at this point, i've yet to see the need to take it there though.

for application, using MICROFIBER cloth over a buffer or a drill with a buffer pad is BY FAR the best way to work out heavy scratches or large scratched areas. again... you have to use microfiber cloth. also, doing it by hand sux, no really.

it basically pays for itself after renewing 2 face shields and can be used on car light lenses <insert acrylic whatnot> too.

Last edited by shabadoo; 05-26-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot about microfiber cloth --very important
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 AM

WARNING.....face shields ARE USUALLY TREATED AT THE MANUFACTURER........and can be damaged (chemically) if you use anything but warm water. and when I say chemically i mean weaken the structure/strength of helmet face shield its self.

DO NOT EVEN USE WINDEX!!! even that will deteriorate the shields on most helmets.
Warm water/ soft cloth compress, and a minute-or-two of patience will loosen the most stubborn bug guts without harming the integrity of the shield.

END RUN!!!!!.......weakened face shield means potential penetration of foreign objects.

if your shields getting scratched....please just replace it.
...or someones gonna lose an eye at 80mph!!!!

(final note .......I have always carried a well worn/clean handkerchief ( the 'cowboy' kind 100% cotton) in my pocket...laundered a zillion times and soft as soft can be.
makes a great cleaning tool for my glasses. ( synthetic wipes are a joke)...i just pop my shield off and rinse it well in a sink then gently dry off with the ole hanky......Perfect every time.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-28-2010 at 09:18 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM

To clean my face shield i just use eye glass wipes. Works well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
To clean my face shield i just use eye glass wipes. Works well.
....and your dumping chemicals that you know nothing about on your shield..............
Check ingredients for alcohol , both ammonia and alcohol will destroy polycarbonate.

WORD UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!

GO TO YOUR HELMET MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE AND LOOK UP HOW EXACTLY THEY RECOMMEND YOU CLEAN YOUR GEAR.

Don't just do what you think is best...DON"T GUESS>>>>>>>.KNOW WHAT WORKS BEST!!!!!!

The knowledge is just a few clicks away.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post

(final note .......I have always carried a well worn/clean handkerchief ( the 'cowboy' kind 100% cotton) in my pocket...laundered a zillion times and soft as soft can be. ...
Have some clean, soft, old hancky for sale ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Have some clean, soft, old hancky for sale ?
Yeap. Got one from Lockhead and Aerodynamically Soft

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

for face shields, i can see your point stagehand. while imo buffing *light scratches* out of an acrylic is unlikely to reduce structural soundness of the material... by all means, please do buy new folks.

the bottom line, face shields aside, is that the stuff can make a beat up windscreen look brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode