Anyone rolling with a camera? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone rolling with a camera?

I already have a dashcam in my car, but it won't work for the versys. After the horrific morning commute I had today I really, really, really want one for the bike.

I like the idea of helmet mount over windscreen because I want it to see what I see, but you're welcome to convince me otherwise.

I was looking at the Contour Roam because I like the price point, but it doesn't do automatic rollover recording---although 3 hours should do it for me. I could also repurpose it for the rest of the adventure---fishing, etc.

GoPro is not something I'm willing to afford and I can't imagine a box like that sticking off the helmet.

I most definitely want HD, that's my only real requirement. Anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM

I'm about to lay down the cheese for a Sena 10c. With those opposed, the issues seem to be mic placement for quality voice recording, headphone placement to hear, and the learning curve of button combos.

at 349.00, I have a cam and also the ability to sync up voice with other riders in a group, should I find a ride buddy.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Nice. I have the SM5H, works a treat. It didn't occur to me when I bought it that there may be two devices in one available.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 AM
RMS

Look at some of Weljo`s videos,, and ask his opinion !!!!!

Last edited by RMS; 07-17-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: in the off topic section
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
It didn't occur to me when I bought it that there may be two devices in one available.
maybe there wasn't, the 10c is brand new. they've dropped the price on the other camera: http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com/s...m#.VakKxnjC8TM

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
For helmet mount I love my drift.. It's what I've been using for a few years and its never failed me. If you want bikemount there are gopro knockoffs on eBay that are really good that I know of (forgot the man tho. Something 4000 I think) that are under $50

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:18 AM

I'm riding with a GoPro mounted to the helmet, around the chin, sort of like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hS_mW4efH0

I don't even feel it's there, it's surprisingly light. I also had it mounted to the side, near my right ear, also couldn't feel the added weight to the point that I was looking into the mirror to make sure it hadn't fallen off.
I know it seems like you'd feel that boxy camera pulling on the helmet but you really don't I've heard some reports that if you mount it on the top, you feel the drag that pulls the helmet upwards when you ride fast, I haven't checked that position.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:22 AM

I have the Sena 10c. I like it a lot. If you would like a link to some of my videos, I will be happy to oblige. I was lucky enough to get mine for 314.00 from Performance Cycle of Colorado, although they have since upped their price to the normal 349.00. I don't think you can go wrong with Camera/Coms combo. If you would like more info on it, just let me know. I will be doing a full review of it in a vlog very soon. I will also say this; Sena stands behind their products. I have an issue with the right speaker in mine, and they have fell over themselves to correct it. A brand new unit (yes, 350 bucks worth) is on it's way to me at no charge. The techs that I have spoken with have all said that they have had zero issues with the 10c, and that I must have just received an oddball lemon. As far as GoPro knockoff options, check out the SJCam SJ4000. Superb video quality and comes with a ton of accessories that would cost you a mint if you purchased the same camera/accessories from GoPro. Also, the SJ cam has a built in LCD preview screen, an additional add on with GoPro, to the tune of over 100 dollars.

Last edited by adurbin; 07-17-2015 at 09:36 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have several Drift Ghost Camera's which are super user friendly and easy to mount to a helmet with out sticking out like a tumor Its also has Car DVR Mode which runs the video in a loop so you don't have to worry about space on your card. If something happens you want to keep just down load it.......My video channel...https://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-17-2015 at 12:09 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM

Garage
I use the SJCAM, and love it, I have it mounted to my chin and never have an issue with it being in the way, but it is the same "boxy tumor" as the GoPro.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:13 PM

I don't have one yet - but have been shopping around.

I've been eyeing up the replay 1080 mini due to size shape and price.

http://www.amazon.com/Replay-XD-Camera-Black-01-RPXD1080M-CS/dp/B00HJ4RN1E/ref=pd_sim_421_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=17CKXEGSQDNPRV4MNEGF

Last edited by kohburn; 07-17-2015 at 01:15 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM

Ok, I wasn't going to plug my YouTube channel in your thread, but...I am. all footage taken with the Sena.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrGreenjeep97
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adurbin View Post
Ok, I wasn't going to plug my YouTube channel in your thread, but...I am. all footage taken with the Sena.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrGreenjeep97

I like a lot about the Sena the main issue for me is no 170 degree Field Of View so the head movement might get you seasick ....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:56 PM

Go Pro. Proven, plenty of accessories, good shooting menu, resolution is great. Stick it on your helmet - what you see is what you get,

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 06:37 PM

Garage
Drift Ghost, has everything standard that go-slow charge you extra for.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickaus View Post
drift ghost, has everything standard that go-slow charge you extra for.
+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:37 PM

Garage
Mobius Action Cam. Under $100, mounted on my left rear view mirror.

Worked well for me, then I put it in my Wife's car and haven't taken it back out in a long time (we drive her car to our mountain place). Plus I got a bigger windscreen, so the mounting location on the rear view mirror will need to be moved.

Another place to check for cams is. www.techmoan.com (slanted towards dash cams, but there is other stuff too.)

I am intrigued by this cam - i like the idea of mounting the lens in a more 'permanent' manner.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/11...ni-camera.html

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 PM

U want a cam that acts like a car dedicated dashcam?
look no further than Bikevue C3-HD. with front and rear cams, with combined video recording.

http://www.amazon.com/C3-HD-Waterpro.../dp/B00XI5OTJM

alternatively an innovv C3 can also be used, with a smaller footprint and less notified compared to most action cams on the market.

http://www.innovv.com/

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

Last edited by onewizard; 12-11-2016 at 04:13 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 10:47 PM

Garage
Had really good results from the Garmin VIRB bike mounted and so so results Drift Stealth 2 helmet mounted. The problems with the Drift were user related (forgetting to hit record, charge) but really like the small size and what video I did record on it love the quality. Other comment about Drift is their customer service was fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
camera, dashcam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode