Corbin Seat-Review - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Corbin Seat-Review

I have a 2010 Versys and I'm one of those who finds the stock seat angle less than ideal. I slide forward under braking and my wife slides into me when she's on the back. I decided, based on the pictures on the web, and the good reputation of Corbin to order a replacement seat from them. I ordered the seat that is in the pictures on their website. No variations. I called to confirm that the seat would fit a 2010 and "Vincent" the salesperson on the other end said it would. The seat arrived this week well packaged and in perfect condition.
Fitment:
Simply put the seat would not go on the bike out of the box. I had read here that this might be the case, but for $440 I was still pretty annoyed. The Versys seat as you all know has 4 connection points. The Corbin does away with the 2 middle connections and has a front tongue and a rear latch only. The rear latch did not extend far enough to engage the key lock. I'm not sure what disappointed me the most. the seat not going on, or the split I made in the vinyl as I tried to force it down. The edge of the seat pan contacted the side grab rail on the right side of the bike and split it about 1/4 inch. The seat was put aside until the following day. while my blood pressure returned to normal. The next day I used rubber spacers to extend the latch. After removing the side grab rails I was able to get the seat on, but really prefer to have the rails on. Replacing them needed more spacers to finally get the seat in place. The split is buried against the right grab rail now and is pretty much invisible if you don't know it's there. The seat is now on very solidly and looks okay.
Comfort:
The seat is level for the driver and level but higher for the pillion which can be seen easliy from their website. I very much like the flatter and firmer seating position. I don't know how true it is that these seats break in. Maybe it's your butt that breaks in instead, but a couple of long rides later I was not sore or uncomfortable. I haven't tried to go all day on it, but then again I rarely ride for that long anyway. I no longer slide forward under breaking and sit a little farther back with my arms more extended on the Corbin. I like this a lot also. My wife does not like the pillion. She felt we were more of a unit with the stock seat. She is more up above me on the Corbin and she prefers the old position. She is not really uncomfortable however, and is game to continue riding on it.
Summary;
It's a nice seat with good workmanship. The poor fitment is very annoying. I was surprised it didn't fit and had to be modified. There's no real excuse for this. If I had to do it again, I might not at that price. Now that it's done though, I do like new position and comfort. As a final note it seems to raise the seat height very slightly. Not enough to notice much though even with my challenged 30 inch inseam. So hopefully this will help anyone considering this seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM

I too got the standard Corbin Dual Canyon seat a few weeks ago..mine also would not latch..just added a couple washers under the latch and work fine..didn't have to take hand rails off..everything fit except for the latch not reaching..just got back from a 2800 mile trip that included a couple of 12 and half hour days.. 750 and 796 miles.. the seat is still hard but guess that is what is needed... late in the day I was changing positions a lot..had plenty of room to do that..all in all very happy with my Corbin..

2002 BMW R1150RT Titan Silver
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

I've had my Corbin seat on my Versys for a couple of months and am very happy with Corbin's work for the most part. With the oddly shaped stock seat pan one can see that Corbin had quite a challenge to make a decent seat with such a thin area to work with at the base of the step in the seat. I asked Sargent to make one for me and they didn't want to do it because of this feature. I think Corbin did a good job with what they had to work with and rider comfort is very good for the limited surface area available with an almost sport bike type of seat and having to work with the thin pan. The passenger area though, in my opinion is too high and should be about an inch to 1.5" lower. As far as mounting goes, I read the threads on this forum and expected to do some sort of modification to make the seat latch. I do think Corbin should have seen to this themselves but it was just a matter or placing spacers. I didn't want a sloppy fit so I placed the spacers one at a time, refitting each time and gently put my weight on the back of the seat while turning the seat key to the release position until finally, with enough spacers it latched. It fits well and does not shake or rattle. It was interesting to find that I didn't need to add any more spacers when I added my SW Motech Top rack and evo side racks. All that being said, when I get all my other mods done, I may try a Baldwin seat and sell the Corbin. Loren at Baldwin's uses a technique no one else uses, placing medical gel in the seat between layers so that the gel doesn't create a huge hotspot like gel seats that have the gel directly under the seat cover do. I would also ask for a little more thigh support so it doesn't feel so much like you're slipping off a kitchen chair.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Put a couple of large felt furniture pads on underside the tail of the seat where it sits on the frame. That will hold it up off of the grab rails. You might need more spacers on the loop to get it to lock. This is a common problem with all years of the V with the Corbin seat.

Here are some pictures of what I used and did. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...7&postcount=22

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sharrison56; 05-24-2010 at 11:48 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 PM

well that does it for me. I've been to the Corbin factory, I live near it... and based on these reviews they can kiss my ass.

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawa...ys%20Seats.htm
Hello Baldwin.

Last edited by jasonlisica; 05-25-2010 at 03:34 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM

I have had my Corbin about 6 weeks/900 miles. I did add washers to the seat latch because of the Givi racks. It is breaking in and I like having more room, 1/2" higher and passenger 1"lower. I like the oem seat but, the foam is too soft after 3hours and I wanted all day comfort. I looked at the other choices, all good products. For me it came down to a stronger seat pan that sits on the frame, not giving my oem seat up if I did not like the custom seat and wanted to sell and price for a leather seat. I like a firm seat.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM

Just want to thank all you great V riders for doing an excellent job on the Corbin reviews...It really helps guys like me make an informed decision on a very pricy option...I live about an hour away (from Corbin) and was going to scoot down there and get one, but to be honest anything that requires that much screwing around ain't in my wishlist...So now I'm down to 2 choices Spencer and Baldwin...Thanks again all...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 AM

The review of the Corbin Seat which you have given here its really unknown for me. I am not aware from it. I have hear it for the first time. After reading this I like its all of the features too much. The information which you have mention here I have searched it on Google and get more information about it.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 AM

The Corbin seat pan is definitely better than the stock one, but you are right about having to screw around with it. I might actually try reworking my Corbin with a bit more foam and a gel pad that I have, but they use rivets in the seat pan...makes sense in a metal seat pan.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Ditto on the adjustment required for the seat to latch. For me, I didn't have to shim the catch-plate, but had to move it forward for it to catch, which could have been accomplished easily if the mounting holes had been elongated, (which they are NOT). That said, I've ridden about 11k miles on the seat, and find it dramatically more comfortable than the stock seat. I used to be limited to about an hour in the saddle before needing a break. Now I can easily go 3 hours. On the stock seat, after three or four days of riding the discomfort became severe, and I would need a day of rest. I've gone for as much as 8 days of continuous riding since installing the Corbin before reaching a similar point.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 AM

I believe the Corbin seat pan is made of a fiberglass composite, not metal but it is strong and quite a bit heavier than the stock one.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Ditto on the adjustment required for the seat to latch. For me, I didn't have to shim the catch-plate, but had to move it forward for it to catch, which could have been accomplished easily if the mounting holes had been elongated, (which they are NOT).
Since I had the Corbin with the Givi side bag racks, I had to SHIM and MOVE the latch hook forward for it to catch. You still had to make sure it hit properly to catch. Then I bent my key unlocking it because I had to put pressure on the seat just above the latch to be able to unlock it.

I sold my Corbin because after 8000 miles it never got any softer.

There has to be better options. I will never own another Corbin no matter what kind of bike I Own.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 AM

strange LR, i have your old corbin on my 09 and it fits the bike perfectly. 'click', no shims, no grab rail issues, no nada.

good to know about the givi side racks not working well with it though.

had one on an fz1 too, definitely not as comfy as a mustang seat, but still 400 mile-able. i mainly needed it for the backrest option, but its way better than stock imo.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 AM

I tried a Corbin on my Gold Wing for awhile and it was the worst seat I've ever had, way too hard for me and it didn't fit right either. My Baldwin is being delivered today for the Versys, review to follow.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Based on my experience you should be very happy with the Baldwin.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Based on my experience you should be very happy with the Baldwin.
+ 1

on the baldwin just did 2-700 mile days in a 4 day span. went to work next day no soreness at all

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
I tried a Corbin on my Gold Wing for awhile and it was the worst seat I've ever had, way too hard for me and it didn't fit right either. My Baldwin is being delivered today for the Versys, review to follow.
Any review posted yet of the Baldwin?

2010 Versys - 2007 Honda Goldwing

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 PM

My Baldwin is on the way...I'll post a review and pics when the brown truck shows up

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 AM

I've read similar fitting issues on the FZ8 forums about Corbin seats needing modifications. At that price, the seat should fit. For that reason Corbin is off my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode