Kawasaki OEM tank bag install pic please - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawasaki OEM tank bag install pic please

I know this sounds ridiculous but I futzed with the Kawasaki Tank bag front tab yesterday forever. I was unable to discern where to connect the front tab ends to get it to sit nice and not look like it was installed by a 4 year old. I'm clearly missing something.

If someone with an OEM tank bag would take a pics of the tab connection points for me, I would be grateful.

(Versys) Friends don't let (Versys) friends do crappy installation work.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Zoomie, I have the OEM bag for my '09, and can shoot a pic today if you need it, but do not know if they are the same. My front strap has a metal clip that attaches to the front edge of my tank under the handlebar. When I got it I had to open it up a little to get it to be able to attach.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
It connects to the front edge of the fuel tank like rayj said. The Velcro strap connects to the seat tab support and that is all that is needed.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

I'm speaking of the tab closest to the seat. The one that secures between the front of seat and the tank. Mine has two ends on it with Velcro. I tried laying them down nicely under the seat but cant get the big Velcro tab nicely on the tank. It's all bunched up and looks like poop.

The clip side was easy to figure out.

I'd love to see a pic. Also, Im playing hooky this morning and intend just putt around town on the Versys. I'll take a pic as well.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Here are pics of bag and tabs. Specifically, I cant figure out where to mount the white Velcro tabs so the Velcro strap lays nice and flat against the tank. It's an angle thing. I hope I am making sense. I gues I'm looking for a pic that shows how the seat tab support connects to the bike/seat itself?

Also, wondering if I need to run something under the bag to protect the tank finish.

Last edited by Zoomie; 07-17-2015 at 07:01 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
That U shaped bit at the bottom should detach and be mountable under the seat and stay in place even when the bag is removed from my understanding. And as for protecting the paint. I use to use one of the perferated rubber mats you put in you kitchen drawers if you know what im talking about

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
...Also, wondering if I need to run something under the bag to protect the tank finish....
Buy some 3M paint protection film, then put some there. Works FINE!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Garage
That doesn't look like my bag. You sure you got the one for the Versys? Didn't think that the '11 would be that different from the '09.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Garage
Just looked on Kawasaki site and should be the same bag.
http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/...0CBF/K57003112

There is a link to the install instructions.

I think you bought the ninja 300 bag.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 07-17-2015 at 12:24 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Same part number.

I'll give it a go again and see how it goes.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

OK, I still smell a rat. The front strap is so short that when clipped to the front edge of the bag, the front pocket is unusable and is mashed in to the riser. And no , I don't have anything aftermarket on the riser.

Guess I'll start at Kawasaki, then go cuss RonAyers.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Zoomie, that looks just like my bag, but mine does not have the u-shaped section, only the magnetized fat part to attach to the bottom section of the tank by the seat, and a skinny single extension with Velcro to run through the front seat catch, this also being the rear bolt down area for the tank. Did not ride today, so can't take a picture until tonight.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Zoomie, that looks just like my bag, but mine does not have the u-shaped section, only the magnetized fat part to attach to the bottom section of the tank by the seat, and a skinny single extension with Velcro to run through the front seat catch, this also being the rear bolt down area for the tank. Did not ride today, so can't take a picture until tonight.
All the bags look the same. It is the mounting points that look different. If you follow my link and look at the instructions, you will see that different bikes have different mounts.

Looks like he has the ninja 300 bag.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
OK, I still smell a rat. The front strap is so short that when clipped to the front edge of the bag, the front pocket is unusable and is mashed in to the riser. And no , I don't have anything aftermarket on the riser.

Guess I'll start at Kawasaki, then go cuss RonAyers.

Yep. Wrong part or mislabeled.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I agree, I have a 2011 with an OEM tank bag installed and the bottom attach point IS DIFFERENT than your picture. As stated before, the bag itself looks similar but the mounting will be different from bike to bike. I'm pretty sure you got the wrong one. Mine fits like a glove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2562.jpg (49.7 KB, 66 views)

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

It has to be mislabeled at the manufacturer as tag is sewn in. I started at Kawasaki site and versified OEM part number.

There is a thunder storm right now or I would take a pic.

I think you guys may be right. Part of the problem seems to be that the front strap that clips on tank edge is so short that it pulls front of tank bag in to handle risers and down over top front tank bend, making front pocket completely unusable.

I'll call RonAyers Monday and see about getting a replacement.

If someone would humor me one more time. Please measure the length of the front clip strap.

Last edited by Zoomie; 07-18-2015 at 05:15 AM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 06:13 AM

Garage
Front strap approximately 5 inches. When bag is on the rear flap reaches the edge of the seat. The bag is either mislabeled, or the manufacturer put the wrong under the seat mount in the bag.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you !

Yep. Mis labeled.

OEM Part number per Kawasaki website.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/...0DEF/K57003112

Last edited by Zoomie; 07-18-2015 at 06:35 AM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Garage
Kawasaki is going to hate life if a whole lot came out that way. It should get exchanged with no $ out of pocket. They should send you a label to ship it back for free.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance.

RESOLUTION

Spoke with John at ronayers.com. Can't say enough about this business.

I spoke with an intelligent human being that understood the problem in spite of its uniqueness. Sending UPS to my place tomorrow and ordered another bag from Kawasaki. Said he will pull the new bag and compare front tank strap length to the return. If they are identical, he will call. if new one is 5", he will mail immediately. Now that is service !

Interestingly, he said that they have sold 74 of these bags this year and this is the first one returned. He also said that manufacturer problems are not unheard of. They are dealing with some 7/8 inch OEM bars that were milled smaller than 7/8. Nothing like your handlebars slipping to keep your ride interesting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode