Needless dickery with Kawi logo/grafix - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Needless dickery with Kawi logo/grafix

Below, some art I was screwing with.

QUESTION, do we have any commercial printer graphics source-people onboard? Or does anyone know of someone they work with like that?

I only went a year in Graphic Design, and do not have any commercial contacts, and a couple people I have checked with for short-run printing projects just are not interested in making low numbers or sample runs of things.

I de-badged my Versys the day I got it home, as I did with my former beloved KLR. I just don't care for Kawasaki's stickers, or for those riders that want to repaint a bike, they get an arm and a leg to replace those things. Or we could have a club sticker for the back of a pannier, I dunno. I could mock it up.

I thought it would be fun to have some "options"

It would be nice if someone knew of someone that could produce some other options, and offer them at a reasonable cost. That would NOT be me, as I have no source or capability, but I am glad to help with some design options if we had a commercial printer that could offer a high quality, reflective product.

I can check with Gadget Boy from ADV, as he is the source of the infamous "ADV" reflective ovals, he is not located in the states though.

Anyway.

Just some stuff I mess with over coffee. I'm heck bent on new graphics for my bike after (soon) repainting. Figure others might have an interest, or could help with sources or talent?

~ Paul

I had once seen the use of a simple Kawasaki "K" as a roundel, and thought it was kind of simple design for the side of a fairing, back of a pannier, etc. It might have been Kawi's logo at one time, I dunno. I Googled around and could not find an example, so I started messin around with my own simple concepts:

I wrote them as 'png' files, so technically the background is transparent for effect, I kind of like the gritty looking ones...

Stuff can/would have to be scaled as well for size.

Below, a SLIGHT DIFFERENCE, look at the 'Kawasaki' font

Or, a more conventional look with a white background, any of them could be done like this:

Which lead to this, which is incomplete and needs cleaning up, sort of a spinning lawnmower blade theme, I dunno!
Just trying to cook up something to fit the side of the fairing in that curved area, this one would intentionally lop over the flat part and spill onto the curves.

After several Corona's, this started to look like a map perimeter of Michigan's Upper Peninsula...

(actually, KTM has a kind of spider web theme that fans out in the background, that's where I got that I think.. ). I thought the gritty look fit the personality of our bikes..

Which morphed into this:

And/or... to fit the curve on the fairing side

And, last but not least....my favorite - a spin on the "Fox Hound"

Thanks for viewing

Try to avoid hitting "quote" so the next inmate does not have to scroll through 5 vertical feet of imagery to read a comment...

You guys rock, just trying to do something for the group if there is any interest.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-13-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
what software do you use?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I think my '15 650LT will end up w/ a 'smaller' version of the Paris-Dacre "moose" on each saddle-bag....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
what software do you use?
Photoshop CS.5 and a small bit of Illustrator. I just hack around, most of my experience was from dealing with digital photographs, I teach photography as a volunteer at a non-profit agency. The other skillz sort of floated to the top later on. I still learn new tricks, week by week from other geeks, photografers and from You Tube tutorials, or just trial and error.

Supposed to be retired
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Ed,

I indeed dig that moose!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 02:29 PM

I've got a buddy who has a large-format vinyl plotter, he's made bumper stickers for me in the past. I can bug him if anyone is interested. It's basically just a CNC cutter for vinyl stickers. I believe there's layering involved if there's multiple colors? Maybe? I've only ever done white with negative space showing through.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I think my '15 650LT will end up w/ a 'smaller' version of the Paris-Dacre "moose" on each saddle-bag....

Ed,
The Green Energizer Bunny is being replaced by a 2015 LT? Perhaps some good has come from your unfortunate incident?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I've got a buddy who has a large-format vinyl plotter, he's made bumper stickers for me in the past. I can bug him if anyone is interested. It's basically just a CNC cutter for vinyl stickers. I believe there's layering involved if there's multiple colors? Maybe? I've only ever done white with negative space showing through.
Thanks for the response, Adventure Seeker,

I would be fine with white/reflective for some of these, PM incoming.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Ed,
The Green Energizer Bunny is being replaced by a 2015 LT? Perhaps some good has come from your unfortunate incident?
HOPEFULLY - still have NOT got word from the adjuster, despite repair estimates being OVER $7K, while value is about $5K....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 PM

I work in a commercial printshop based in Wichita, KS. We have large format vinyl printer and variety of substrate for smaller work. We have both traditional presses and digital presses.

You can check us out here http://www.randgraphics.com/
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Ed,

I indeed dig that moose!
The Moose would like it too, but I did not see ANY living animals in his pictorial trip through Canada that weren't stuffed, bones, molded models, in museums, or pictures. It was kind of spooky in that respect. Even the trees were skinny newbies that looked like they were cut down and trimmed like frequent hair cuts. Even in California, there is only a fraction of wildlife seen in the SE USA

In California, it's an overload of people, but I'm not sure what the story is in Canada: I would have thought it would be a haven for abundant wildlife and healthy forest growth.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I think I seen some bears he pictured...

"grrr"

Are you in Cal. Dog?
It's freakin cooler in part of Cal today where my sister lives than it is in Minneapolis.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
The Moose would like it too, but I did not see ANY living animals in his pictorial trip through Canada that weren't stuffed, bones, molded models, in museums, or pictures. It was kind of spooky in that respect....
GUESS you missed the bearS, buffaloS, moose, rocky mountain big hornS....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Which LT 'moose' do YOU prefer...?

Which one does it for you:

the one w/ the moose following the lines of the saddle-bag?; or

horizontal?

I'm pretty sure I'll do one of them, but which...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Which one does it for you:

the one w/ the moose following the lines of the saddle-bag?; or

horizontal?

I'm pretty sure I'll do one of them, but which...?
Following the lines

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Following the lines

Plus 1

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:42 PM

Yup, following the lines.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM

Garage
Definitely following the lines...

2008 Red Kawasaki Versys - Purchased 7/12/2015
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I don't think that Kawasaki Versys dot com has a club decal.... is there?

If I get some favorable quotes on my own stuff, thought maybe we could speak or argue on something others might want or enjoy, with permission of course.

(no, I aint doing a moose-themed sticker)

(are you still with me/awake?)

Ok, that was my coffee break activity for the morning. As you were.
Back to your regular scheduled program .
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post

(no, I aint doing a moose-themed sticker)

But you WOULD do a "coyote" w/ a bayonet in its mouth...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode