Painting my Givi's - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Painting my Givi's

When I got my bike used, the previous owner dropped the bike in his driveway slightly cracking and scratching up one of my v35 side cases. With a upcoming trip I wanted to fix the crack, and maybe try and make the scratches look better.

To fix the crack I drilled small holes on each side of it every inch or so, and used small zipties to secure it.(It is mostly covered by the removable covers) I then dremeled a deep v in the crack and filled it with a product called Duramix.

Looking at the covers I decided to paint them red to match the bike. Bought a can of "Red Pepper" in Krylon Fusion

It claims no sanding or priming required, but I found you need to sand the surface first, in order to remove the plastics shine and help with adhesion.

As the pieces sit now they are painted with many light coats and wet sanded. Tomorrow I am going to give them a final coat, but should I clear coat them as well?

I will post up pics as soon as it is all back together.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Hawkshot99,

Just curious, How's the project going? Is the Krylon "Red Pepper" a good match? Got any Pics?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
Hawkshot99,

Just curious, How's the project going? Is the Krylon "Red Pepper" a good match? Got any Pics?
The match is not perfect, but it's pretty close. The bags are all painted and look ok. I screwed up on the clear coat, and will get around to repainting them this winter.

Will post some pics soon. Have not taken any of the bike with the bags on in a while.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
The match is not perfect, but it's pretty close. The bags are all painted and look ok. I screwed up on the clear coat, and will get around to repainting them this winter.

Will post some pics soon. Have not taken any of the bike with the bags on in a while.
How did you use the clear coat on the paint and how long was the paint left to dry before clear coat.
Post some picture and thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
How did you use the clear coat on the paint and how long was the paint left to dry before clear coat.
Post some picture and thanks for sharing.
I think I dried the paint for 2 days. I screwed up the clear by applying it to heavy. I should have given it much more of a mist application. When it dried there were a bunch of cracks in it that I could not wet sand out without starting over with paint.

08' Versys
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Clear coat is a bit tricky as some paint cannot take clear coat and clear coat should be applied in layers- mist and light spray per layer and finish with polishing.

On the next round of painting.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM

An option would be sticker to cover any imperfections. Works well if it matches the V.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode