Need help installing SW-MOTECH crash bars :-) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need help installing SW-MOTECH crash bars :-)

I just picked up my first motorcycle ('14 Versys) two days ago and want to get SW-MOTECH crash bars installed before I try riding it (key word there is "try" ).

I've never worked on a motorcycle before and am concerned about screwing something up while trying to install the crash bars, so I would really appreciate a bit of help!

Question 1: Is it OK to remove the left and right engine mounts at the same time? I don't see how else to do it, but I don't want the engine to fall down

Question 2: Do I need to remove any of the plastic pieces (fairings?) before installing the crash bars?

Appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 01:56 AM

Garage
Do 1 at a time.

Just go over the instructions and work slowly and methodically.

Some photo's of my install looks like I removed pretty much all the plastics but maybe I was doing other things as well?

Looks like I let the engine slip a bit from memory I put my jack under the engine to lift it back into place

You can look at all my pics of the install in this album if it's any help to you

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Mavs...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by MaverickAus; 07-12-2015 at 02:05 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Maverick has great pics and detail there.

I just did mine in the last months, the one thing that helped me the most, since Motech is a bit lacking with the instructionals, was this image I found on the net, as it shows how/what/where all the fasteners go eventually.

Just to have that image helped me sort out what was eventually gonna go where. I bet Eddie will jump in, as I had asked him I think about the bolt that ends up right by your shifter foot- I reversed that bolt so instead of the nut being on the shifter side, it was just the head of the bolt and that felt like I was less likely to catch my toe on it.

I had my bike hanging from the ceiling, and had the luxury of having the forks off and radiator and everything else out of my way. One thing that helps was to have a couple slender tapered drift punches, long and skinny to help line up hole/tabs, etc.

Also, see here, how the mounts in the front work, the lock nut drops into a little notch in the engine casting, so it holds itself and isn't supposed to spin as you torque it down.

Yes..... I lost considerable time actually on the other side in front. If you "sight" through the bore holes in the crash bar, all the tabs and such, see/make sure stuff lines up. It may be that my engine had been refinished, but the NUT that came with the MOTECH stuff was too large of a outside diameter to drop fully into the notch in the engine casting-- the bore of the holes in the tabs, engine casting and crash bars would simply not line up.

I ended up grabbing a nut from the original motor mount bolts that fit the "notch" and ran with that. If you wreck a nut or bolt, take it with you to the hardware store and they can match it up appropriately, I damaged the threads on one.

I will say this all goes better if you have an accomplice to help lift or nudge things whilst the other inmate slips the bolt into place or holds the flashlight.

A bit of grease on these bolts does wonders too..

JD suggested to me to run with RED LOKTITE on these and I did. My front/right mount/hole in the engine casting had started to elongate as that stock bolt was loose-ish and was essentially filing a hole through the mount.

EDIT:

I found a large (hit ENLARGE) shot I had taken of the left (driver's side) of the bike that shows most of the mounting points with all the plastics off.

I did eventually REVERSE that low one like I said, so that I did not have the nut come out on the shifter-side.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-12-2015 at 11:09 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks SO MUCH for your help, guys!!

I think I got them installed correctly, but I didn't use loctite because I assumed I would screw something up and need to take it apart again. So I think I'll try riding it for a few days and then take the nuts off, add loctite, and then use a proper torque wrench to get the tension right.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
...Just to have that image helped me sort out what was eventually gonna go where. I bet Eddie will jump in, as I had asked him I think about the bolt that ends up right by your shifter foot- I reversed that bolt so instead of the nut being on the shifter side, it was just the head of the bolt and that felt like I was less likely to catch my toe on it.

UNLESS I'm missing something - that is the REAR BRAKE pedal in your pic, and seems to me that is the way SW-Motech says to do it. What I suggested was to reverse the bolt so that the nut is on the LEFT side, as I was having "issues" trying to get the two couplers/ spacers on, and the nut on the left (the 'bolt' coming IN from the right) made it easier for me.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-12-2015 at 02:29 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Your right Ed,

I meant brake, but "shifter" came out. I would say I had been drinkin, but it was morning-ish. Now as long as I don't get the two mixed up while I am riding..

Cant sneak nothing past ya...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode