Need assistance on Cargo racks please - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need assistance on Cargo racks please

Good morning everyone.

I have spent the last 24 hours reading everything I can on pannier/ side cargo racks. I still cant find the answer to my question.

MY (NOT SO) SECRET PLAN

Here's what I am trying to do. Due to cash flow constraints, I am going to purchase the Givi e21's and appropriate rack. Now here is the tricky part.

I may want to move to the Kappas but am trying to avoid purchasing yet another rack system. I am hoping that there is a light weight rack choice that allows the installation of either.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance !

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green

Last edited by Zoomie; 07-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Zoomie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello Zoomie,

Are you speaking on "pannier" or what some call side racks, or do you mean a "top box" rack, also called a trunk box rack?

Just clarifying.
unstable_rider is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First what year is your motorcycle.As different years use different racks. 2006-2009, 2010-2014, 2015-on.



These are the options for the Givi Monokey Cases E21 , E22n/ or Kappa K22 or the k22N

Givi cases e22n



Kappa cases
k21


k22


2006-2009
KL447

Specific pannier holder for MONOKEY® side cases
it can be mounted without the specific rear rack KZ447 using the PLX447KIT / the indicators must be moved from original position / compatible with the side cases in aluminium K-venture

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/..._man_kl447.pdf

2010-2014
KLR450

Specific rapid release side case holder for MONOKEY® cases
it can be mounted without the specific rear rack KZ451 using the 450KIT / you must move the indicators from their original position

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_klr450.pdf

will also need rear rack or this kit
450KIT

Specific kit to install the KLR450 and the KLXR450 without the specific rear rack KZ451

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_450kit.pdf

rear rack
KZ451

Specific rear rack for MONOKEY® or MONOLOCK® top case
to be combined with the MONOKEY® KM5 or KM7 plates, or with the MONOLOCK® KM5M or KM6M plates

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/..._man_kz447.pdf

2015- on

KL4114

Specific pannier holder for MONOKEY® side cases
compatible with the side cases in aluminium K-venture / it can be mounted without the specific rear rack SR4114 using the 4114KIT / To ensure the best visibility of the rear indicators mounted with the cases, you need to relocate them by using kit IN4114KIT

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_kl4114.pdf

will need rear rack or this adapter
4114KIT

Specific kit to install the KL4114 / KLX4114 / TE4114K without the specific rear rack KR4114

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...an_4114kit.pdf

rear rack
KR4114

Specific rear rack for MONOLOCK® or MONOKEY® top case
to be combined with the KM5 or KM7 MONOKEY® plate, or with the plate KM5M or KM6M MONOLOCK® top cases

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_kr4114.pdf

Last edited by Motojunkee; 07-06-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Motojunkee is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Hello Zoomie,

Are you speaking on "pannier" or what some call side racks, or do you mean a "top box" rack, also called a trunk box rack?

Just clarifying.
Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

2014 Versys 650

Yes. Panniers/side cargo boxes.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Hello Zoomie,

Are you speaking on "pannier" or what some call side racks, or do you mean a "top box" rack, also called a trunk box rack?

Just clarifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
First what year is your motorcycle.As different years use different racks. 2006-2009, 2010-2014, 2015-on.

These are the options for the Givi Monokey Cases E21 , E22n/ or Kappa K22 or the k22N

Givi cases e22n



Kappa cases
k21


k22


2006-2009
KL447

Specific pannier holder for MONOKEY® side cases
it can be mounted without the specific rear rack KZ447 using the PLX447KIT / the indicators must be moved from original position / compatible with the side cases in aluminium K-venture

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/..._man_kl447.pdf

2010-2014
KLR450

Specific rapid release side case holder for MONOKEY® cases
it can be mounted without the specific rear rack KZ451 using the 450KIT / you must move the indicators from their original position

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_klr450.pdf

will also need rear rack or this kit
450KIT

Specific kit to install the KLR450 and the KLXR450 without the specific rear rack KZ451

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_450kit.pdf

rear rack
KZ451

Specific rear rack for MONOKEY® or MONOLOCK® top case
to be combined with the MONOKEY® KM5 or KM7 plates, or with the MONOLOCK® KM5M or KM6M plates

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/..._man_kz447.pdf

2015- on

KL4114

Specific pannier holder for MONOKEY® side cases
compatible with the side cases in aluminium K-venture / it can be mounted without the specific rear rack SR4114 using the 4114KIT / To ensure the best visibility of the rear indicators mounted with the cases, you need to relocate them by using kit IN4114KIT

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_kl4114.pdf

will need rear rack or this adapter
4114KIT

Specific kit to install the KL4114 / KLX4114 / TE4114K without the specific rear rack KR4114

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...an_4114kit.pdf

rear rack
KR4114

Specific rear rack for MONOLOCK® or MONOKEY® top case
to be combined with the KM5 or KM7 MONOKEY® plate, or with the plate KM5M or KM6M MONOLOCK® top cases

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_kr4114.pdf
Sincerest thanks. I apologize for wasting your time. I am speaking of panniers/side cargo boxes.

I owe you an frosty adult beverage of your chase. I shall also hang my head in shame for the next 24 hours, in your honor.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OK. Everybody freeze while I read this and catch up.

You guys are too danged efficient and knowledgeable.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
this is what you would need for the 2014
part numbers
KLR450 side racks
450KIT adapter with out top rack
Then the side bags
looks like the e21 from givi are discontinued just to let you know. may find them on close out look around.






KLR450

Specific rapid release side case holder for MONOKEY® cases
it can be mounted without the specific rear rack KZ451 using the 450KIT / you must move the indicators from their original position

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_klr450.pdf

will also need rear rack or this kit
450KIT

Specific kit to install the KLR450 and the KLXR450 without the specific rear rack KZ451

http://www.kappamoto.com/attachfile/...man_450kit.pdf



here are the future casses that will work with this system if I am correct
givi
e22n , E41N, E41NN
TRK33N
TRK46N

kappa
k21, k22n, k40, kgr33 garda, kgr46 garda, kve37apack2 k-venture

Last edited by Motojunkee; 07-06-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Motojunkee is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
All good brother!
unstable_rider is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OK, I see, said the blind man.

Motojunkee, you just showed me a more cost effective solution using the e22n's. This will most definitely work.

Thanks so much !

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green

Last edited by Zoomie; 07-06-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Zoomie is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you order the kappas version the k22 with the racks you may save some money on shipping as well . thou I dont have any experience with the kappa luggage
Motojunkee is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
If you order the kappas version the k22 with the racks you may save some money on shipping as well . thou I dont have any experience with the kappa luggage
Im checking it out. I decided to stop what I was doing briefly and write out a farkle list, then decide on order.

I'll check the Kappas out with rack combo if I can find them, otherwise the e22n's seem to have very positive reviews. And the Monokey is quite appealing.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Member
 
E327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Ga.
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need assistance on Cargo racks please

Pl447
E327 is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Member
 
E327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Ga.
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
PL447 goes with the E21's and will fit your bike. Don't know how they work with Kappas's.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1436242587.902670.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1436242676.076531.jpg
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
E327 is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
PL447 goes with the E21's and will fit your bike. Don't know how they work with Kappas's.

Attachment 67761Attachment 67769
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks!

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Member
 
ATYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have the e21s on my '09. The racks are - as discussed above - bike specific due to the locations for mounting points changing with bike designs and re-designs. As long as you keep the same mounting SYSTEM (eg - monokey) then you have a wide choice of side case options from both Givi and Kappa.

After a few years with the e21s, I wanted to have something larger available for long tours, so I added the Kappa k40 cases. Twice the size, but the exact same mounting (monokey). So. now I have 2 sets of monokey cases that are very different in size and style, but are completely interchangeable on the same existing racks.

Good luck.

Always trust your cape.
ATYC is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I have the e21s on my '09. The racks are - as discussed above - bike specific due to the locations for mounting points changing with bike designs and re-designs. As long as you keep the same mounting SYSTEM (eg - monokey) then you have a wide choice of side case options from both Givi and Kappa.

After a few years with the e21s, I wanted to have something larger available for long tours, so I added the Kappa k40 cases. Twice the size, but the exact same mounting (monokey). So. now I have 2 sets of monokey cases that are very different in size and style, but are completely interchangeable on the same existing racks.

Good luck.
Thanks so much ! Makes sense.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:59 AM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Good morning everyone.

I have spent the last 24 hours reading everything I can on pannier/ side cargo racks. I still cant find the answer to my question.

MY (NOT SO) SECRET PLAN

Here's what I am trying to do. Due to cash flow constraints, I am going to purchase the Givi e21's and appropriate rack. Now here is the tricky part.

I may want to move to the Kappas but am trying to avoid purchasing yet another rack system. I am hoping that there is a light weight rack choice that allows the installation of either.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance !
If money is an issue why not get a lockable top box like a Givi. It has the capacity to store a helmet and gloves for everyday commuting and you'll probably use it every day. Then for the occasional camping trip supplement that with soft saddle bags like the Cortech "Sport size" expandable saddle bags. You can even get non expandable bags like the Nelson Rigs for <$100. Larger non sport sized bags tend to droop on the Versys. The premium Cortech bags (which expand) are about $150 and in expanded form, hold about as much as hard bags. They also require no hardware to install on the bike. For even more storage space you can purchase a small (sport size) or larger matching tail bag that will clip to these and optionally a tank bag. This is what I do and I have loads of room for camping.

twowheels is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If money is an issue why not get a lockable top box like a Givi. It has the capacity to store a helmet and gloves for everyday commuting and you'll probably use it every day. Then for the occasional camping trip supplement that with soft saddle bags like the Cortech "Sport size" expandable saddle bags. You can even get non expandable bags like the Nelson Rigs for <$100. Larger non sport sized bags tend to droop on the Versys. The premium Cortech bags (which expand) are about $150 and in expanded form, hold about as much as hard bags. They also require no hardware to install on the bike. For even more storage space you can purchase a small (sport size) or larger matching tail bag that will clip to these and optionally a tank bag. This is what I do and I have loads of room for camping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOO091DaFVk
And I hear ya !

For now, I went with just a tank bag and tail bag to hold me junk on day trips.

I am boot shopping and pants shopping today to wrap up warm weather riding gear. Once that is done, I'll knock out Panniers.

Since I'm a relative noob, at least to this segment of riding, I need to figure out just how important they are to my needs. I still have nightmares about juggling groceries on the way home from the store, back when I was a young pup. There wasn't a can in the house that didn't have dents and road rash !

I missed the forum post about spending as much on safety gear and farkles as I did on the Versys !

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Member
 
kohburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern, NC
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
I missed the forum post about spending as much on safety gear and farkles as I did on the Versys !
that's just about any bike if you like your skin and enjoy the ride
kohburn is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Zoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
that's just about any bike if you like your skin and enjoy the ride
I did 18 months in a wheelchair and on crutches for a compound fib/tib break after coming up short on a 65 foot triple when racing motocross at the local level. I will spend every stinkin' penny I have to buy the best possible safety gear that I can afford.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
Zoomie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome