Great Soft Luggage and Rotopax tank arrangement - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great Soft Luggage and Rotopax tank arrangement

This is from a Husky site on a converted BMW G650 to a Husky TR650 (great single cylinder bike.) Lots of good details behind the photo above in forum link directly below, from an above average smart owner.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/rotopax-tank.55978/

Instead of those fancy soft bags, I'd just 'try' to choke my duffel bag into thirds and tie down on the seat and ends. Then I could load something on the middle third over my seat. I like the Rotapax arrangements because it's a good place for weight distribution in front of the rear axle: very well done and pictorially documented. It was a good option I did not have the expertise to explain myself, and I wanted to share it.

Last edited by kawdog; 06-24-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I think soft side bags are an under rated.

I've changed my mind on the necessity and desirability of hard side case since owning the Versys. Love my lockable Givi top box and use it every day for commuting but I don't need the extra capacity of side cases except when I occasionally camp on the bike. I use the expandable sport size side bags to supplement my Givi top box when travelling which is about 1-3 trips a year. The Cortech ones seem to fit the V well hold a lot of stuff, especially when combined with the matching Cortech tail bag which just clips to them. I would say they easily hold as much or more than hard cases when expanded, not including the tail bag. The big advantage is the set of side bags and tail bag I think cost $150 and will work on any bike vs $1000+ for a good set of metal side case plus mounting racks that will only work on the V.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-24-2015 at 01:18 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think soft side bags are an under rated.

I've changed my mind on the necessity and desirability of hard side case since owning the Versys. Love my lockable Givi top box and use it every day for commuting but I don't need the extra capacity of side cases except when I occasionally camp on the bike. I use the expandable sport size side bags to supplement my Givi top box when travelling which is about 1-3 trips a year. The Cortech ones seem to fit the V well hold a lot of stuff, especially when combined with the matching Cortech tail bag which just clips to them. I would say they easily hold as much or more than hard cases when expanded, not including the tail bag. The big advantage is the set of side bags and tail bag I think cost $150 and will work on any bike vs $1000+ for a good set of metal side case plus mounting racks that will only work on the V.
2 Wheels,

** Do the $150 soft set's need a rear case 'rack' to work?

That is reasonable, and they can deflate or inflate.

** Got any links?

THANKS!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
2 Wheels,

** Do the $150 soft set's need a rear case 'rack' to work?

That is reasonable, and they can deflate or inflate.

** Got any links?

THANKS!
No racks needed with the "sport" sized bags regardless of brand. Cortech are expandable and probably the best made/engineered of the bunch but also the most pricey.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...-20-saddlebags
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...er-20-tail-bag
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-saddlebags
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/10/31...roduct-review/

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode