Seahorse 720 Top Box Mounted - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Seahorse 720 Top Box Mounted

Gearing up for a big trip this fall but trying to save $ where I can.

I ordered a Seahorse 720 and got a used OEM rack off of the classifieds. Now, to join the two.

I wanted something that was fairly easy to remove, but was still secure on the bike. It will be my only real "lockable" storage.

I ended up milling a couple high density plastic blocks to make hooks that engaged the front of the rack. The plastic was solid enough to drill and tap them (2, 1/4x20 bolts) for attachment to the case, but I also epoxied them on.

Then, after going through several different ideas, I settled that the best way to lock the rear of the case in place was a single thumb bolt through a tapped hole in the rack. This way, as long as the case is locked shut, it is essentially fixed to the bike. The local store was out of them so I had to sub a regular bolt for the mock up and photos.

At each place I trilled through the case, I epoxied a fender washer to the inside of the case. this should spread the load out and keep the case from cracking. It should also keep the mounting screw from working the hole out larger should the case ever wiggle a little.

To put it on, simply set the case on the rack and pull it towards the rear. then open the case and screw in the rear lock screw. The plastic blocks are the correct distance apart to just fit between the mounting arms of the rack, thus eliminating any side to side movement of the case.

I have a couple in-progress photos. I will get a couple more of it on the bike tomorrow after the test run to work.

Mitch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150621_082917_077.jpg (68.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150621_095055_386.jpg (79.2 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 06-22-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like it man.

I had a med. size Pelican as a trunk on my previous KLR and found I never much needed to take it off. Once you have had a set up like that, you wonder how you got by without one. Works well with Pelicans for sides cases.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:53 PM

720's rock! I bought an overkill rubber mounting kit and ended up just using 4 bolts, lock nuts, and 1/4" flat washers. It is on a small SW Motec AL rack, so it's foot print is in the middle, about half way across. I drilled 4 ea - 1/4" holes in the AL rack so it would be a tight fit, marked the holes in the bottom of the 720, and bolted on. It holds about 11 lbs max (anything on rear rack is that weight capacity), but I load it with a few containers of liquid groceries sometimes for short distances, when my duffle bag is full.

The main things I store are my helmet sack, bike cover, knee pads, a couple of emergency tie-downs, green tire-flat goo can, and little odd stuff. For $85, it came with steel locks which I use outside my garage. And laying flat on the rear rack, it cuts through the wind nicely.

And being an efficacious industrial engineer, I pointed it opening up towards my seat so I save about 10 steps every time I use it: as well as don't step out in traffic in parking lots. Seahorse 720 w/metal locks - $85, hardware - $2, rear al rack - $180, and 40" long x 40" dia large duffle bag - $70 = $337 complete modular rack system for groceries, laundry, etc... Well, $20 of visibility stickers on the box too, and I go to Planet Fitness for $10/mo to help me carry up to 150 lb. loaded sacks on my back

Last edited by kawdog; 06-22-2015 at 11:01 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I can get the seat off with the case on, but it is tight. Also, if we camp for more than one night at a particular campground, it might be nice to "unload" the bike for a more spirited ride around the area.

To me, it looks like the case is high enough and far enough forward that it should not obscure my tail light, but I was thinking of adding a couple reflective stickers. It can't hurt.

I don't intend to put too much heavy stuff in it, I try to keep that low. However, all of my other bags, Ortlieb saddle bags and a Wolfman, are all roll-top dry bags, The top case will be the best place to put things that I would like to get to regularly or quickly during a long ride.

I'm also thinking about a set of hooks on each corner and a small bungee net. This would allow me to stuff a sweatshirt away whet it gets hot, or put my extra shoes or tent roll on top of the case if they are wet.

So far it survived the test ride to work today carrying my lunch.

I will get a couple more photos and post later.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 06-23-2015 at 12:43 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 02:41 PM

For the long haul like touring, if my duffel bag was loaded up, I'd try to tie it down on the seat, like passenger weight which would be perfectly engineered weight distribution. I'd just need to spray the duffel bag down with 3m waterproof/ uv protection spray from Home Depot.

But for all the quick accessory stuff though, in the city or on the road, the 720 is always like a large brief-case size airtight accessible glove-compartment. I think it's the only fixed luggage needed, but everyone's needs and preferences (and budgets - $$$) are all different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
Thanks. I can get the seat off with the case on, but it is tight. Also, if we camp for more than one night at a particular campground, it might be nice to "unload" the bike for a more spirited ride around the area.

To me, it looks like the case is high enough and far enough forward that it should not obscure my tail light, but I was thinking of adding a couple reflective stickers. It can't hurt.

I don't intend to put too much heavy stuff in it, I try to keep that low. However, all of my other bags, Ortlieb saddle bags and a Wolfman, are all roll-top dry bags, The top case will be the best place to put things that I would like to get to regularly or quickly during a long ride.

I'm also thinking about a set of hooks on each corner and a small bungee net. This would allow me to stuff a sweatshirt away whet it gets hot, or put my extra shoes or tent roll on top of the case if they are wet.

So far it survived the test ride to work today carrying my lunch.

I will get a couple more photos and post later.

Mitch

Last edited by kawdog; 06-23-2015 at 02:45 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I will strap my dry bag on the pilon. It will carry my camping gear like sleeping bag, etc. When I mounted the box, I made sure there was just the right amount of room to do so.

Saddle bags will do for cloths and then the new top box for other daily stuff.

Is is going to be nice for commuting to work too and will replace my saddle bags for those one or two days a week (unfortunately not more).

A couple more photos.

Mitch

P.S. Sorry, I thought the photos were better.Maybe it has something to do with uploading them directly from my phone and letting it resize them. If anyone wants more details on the build, feel free to ask or shoot me a message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150623_153711_710_1435106263717.jpg (44.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150623_153728_641_1435106306966.jpg (22.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150623_153848_937_1435106335114.jpg (35.3 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 06-23-2015 at 07:50 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
720's rock! I bought an overkill rubber mounting kit and ended up just using 4 bolts, lock nuts, and 1/4" flat washers. It is on a small SW Motec AL rack, so it's foot print is in the middle, about half way across. I drilled 4 ea - 1/4" holes in the AL rack so it would be a tight fit, marked the holes in the bottom of the 720, and bolted on. It holds about 11 lbs max (anything on rear rack is that weight capacity), but I load it with a few containers of liquid groceries sometimes for short distances, when my duffle bag is full.

The main things I store are my helmet sack, bike cover, knee pads, a couple of emergency tie-downs, green tire-flat goo can, and little odd stuff. For $85, it came with steel locks which I use outside my garage. And laying flat on the rear rack, it cuts through the wind nicely.

And being an efficacious industrial engineer, I pointed it opening up towards my seat so I save about 10 steps every time I use it: as well as don't step out in traffic in parking lots. Seahorse 720 w/metal locks - $85, hardware - $2, rear al rack - $180, and 40" long x 40" dia large duffle bag - $70 = $337 complete modular rack system for groceries, laundry, etc... Well, $20 of visibility stickers on the box too, and I go to Planet Fitness for $10/mo to help me carry up to 150 lb. loaded sacks on my back

It would be interesting to see you going down the road with your duffel bag filled up that would be quite a sight with those measurements!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
It would be interesting to see you going down the road with your duffel bag filled up that would be quite a sight with those measurements!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I only do it for about 3 miles one way usually, because it's constricted breathing and I can't see in my mirror for the damn bag leaning on one side. But if it's not maxed out, it is not bad at all for multiple activities: school, working out, small errands, and/or a few groceries. Most of the time though, I try to just use my Kriega R25, but it's very limited excess beyond school. Groceries or laundry is the only time I max it out, and thank goodness I've got a washer and dryer now

Cars give me some distance too, thank goodness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode