Brake Lever Raplacement - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Brake Lever Raplacement

Hi All- I am new here and just got my new Versys today (I put 100 miles on it today). When I got home my wife wanted to sit on it. I said COOL. Well, she knocked it over. The front brake lever was broken (now only 3 fingers fit on it) and the Rear Brake Foot lever was bent. Should I go to the shop and order OEM or is there an aftermarket place I can get a cool set up? Maybe something BETTER? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM

How many fingers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremankev View Post
Hi All- I am new here and just got my new Versys today (I put 100 miles on it today). When I got home my wife wanted to sit on it. I said COOL. Well, she knocked it over. The front brake lever was broken (now only 3 fingers fit on it) and the Rear Brake Foot lever was bent. Should I go to the shop and order OEM or is there an aftermarket place I can get a cool set up? Maybe something BETTER? Help!
Three fingers is one more than you need! You could just smooth the broken end if it's otherwise not distorted, or replace. I'm thinking of getting the Pazzo shorty levers available on eBay for both sides.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Been there. Got the t-shirt. My wife dropped mine twice! She was too short to get her legs under her and support the bike when coming to a stop. So - assure her that she's not alone!

In any case - you can get the front brake lever pretty cheaply at BikeBandit. It will take you about one minute to replace.

As for the rear brake, just put some vice grips on it (for leverage) and gently bend it outwards.

Edit: You might look at the Zeta pivot levers. They have short ones too.... I haven't seen any mounted on a V - but would love to know if they fit!

Last edited by lost84001; 07-20-2008 at 02:52 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Put 140 miles on today and the 3 fingers worked fine. Was kind of nervous to bend the brake pedal. I thought it would break like the lever????? Worth a shot!
Zetas look cool
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Put 140 miles on today and the 3 fingers worked fine. Was kind of nervous to bend the brake pedal. I thought it would break like the lever????? Worth a shot!
Zetas look cool
The foot pedal (rear brake) is steel. You should be able to bend it back OK. standard disclaimers apply

The clutch and front brake levers are cast aluminum. They snap pretty easy...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! It worked! I thought it was aluminum also...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks! It worked! I thought it was aluminum also...
Magnets are your friend! (unless it's stainless steel)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 PM

I haven't had mine dropped (knock on wood) but I did replace mine with Pazzo Levers. Best mod as far as feel from the brakes and comfort I've made so far (I just got the Steel brake lines in so those are next).

Great stuff. Expensive, but the feel is sooo much better. I'll try to post up some pics of them on my bike.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I really want to see the pics of them. thanks!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM

Here's a couple pics. The bike is in the process of being washed in the pics so don't mind the dirt. First pic is of the bike. Second and third pics are of the Pazzo levers they are both the long levers also the bar ends are the Manic Salamander bar ends with the throttle lock. If you want some more pics I think I have a couple more.

Here's the Pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys 1 Small.jpg (272.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Versys Lever Left Small.jpg (270.8 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg Versys Lever Right Small.jpg (256.5 KB, 370 views)

Last edited by Enemy Zero; 07-22-2008 at 11:12 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
Here's a couple pics. The bike is in the process of being washed in the pics so don't mind the dirt. First pic is of the bike. Second and third pics are of the Pazzo levers they are both the long levers also the bar ends are the Manic Salamander bar ends with the throttle lock. If you want some more pics I think I have a couple more.

Here's the Pics:
If the levers hit during a drop, do they pivot forward?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 PM

They do pivot forward a bit but have not tested them in a drop (and hope not to ). They are not like the CRG's which fold up but I had these levers on my '05 ZX6R and they were by far one of my favorite mods so when I saw them available for the Versys, I had to order them.

This is the only place I've seen them online for order. Pazzo's website doesn't even list them. Pazzo has said they make them but these guys are selling them for 20 dollars cheaper with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pazzo...spagenameZWDVW
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 AM

New levers?????

Replace the WIFE first!!!!

1998 "Original" R1
1999 "Streetfighter" R1
2009 Versys (Deposit down, coming soon!)

Viva Colombiaaaa!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Nice! I'm planning on swapping mine out this winter. Let us know how they are working out for you.

Jerry

2008 - Red Versys
Mikes Grand Touring Shield
Cortech Bags
Painted Plastics
Shad 46 Top Case

It matters not how fast you go from point A to point B, itís what you see in between that counts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode