where to mount a camera...helmet or bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
where to mount a camera...helmet or bike?

As part of the prep for the upcoming road trip I picked up a Garmin VIRB and now need to figure out where to mount it.

Any thoughts on the pro's/con's on a helmet mount vs. bike mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I prefer helmet for capturing scenery and where I am looking. Bike for showing the bike leaning through the curves. All depends what your goal is.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 PM

I wear a HJC FG-17 and have a GoPro 2 attached to the right side of the helmet and a Sena SMH10 to my left. I have them position in this way due to switching musics/making/answering calls with the Sena by using the left hand and the camera doesn't need to be touched as often on the right.

On the Versys, I attach it to my SW-Motech crash bars.

I need to do some adjustments. You can see a bit of the face shield and grey fairing, but hopefully this gives you a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11229705_10152956451585784_8976610486868261513_o.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	66609   Click image for larger version

Name:	11270556_10152954695805784_2610384384823382979_o.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	66617   Click image for larger version

Name:	11357089_10152956451630784_7712991209094639853_o.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	66625  

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM

i don't video, but for watching, i always prefer vids from bike-mounted cameras. helmet mounts are too far from the road and isolated from the lean, this reduces the sense of moto motion.

ideally, you'd have both.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:20 PM
BKP

Garage
This is a short ride across a local dam a couple years ago, with cams mounted on both on my lid (larger pic), and on the bike (upper right hand corner).
Make up your own mind...

https://youtu.be/IQUgUaTvktE

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i say helmet that way you record were you look.... thats how my drift is

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I want to get something setup more specifically for CYA - I'm thinking helmet cam is probably the best bet.. then start saving for an easy to remove (or easily concealable) cam or two for the bike to monitor behind and ahead of me for catching stuff the helmet cam misses (especially rear-facing)
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i say helmet that way you record were you look.... thats how my drift is
That's how Joe's is, and he is the expert on this site. I got a Drift and may get it going this weekend.

I thought his was bike mounted too, but the camera technology just makes it look like that.

For our tall bikes getting on, the right side is the best if your helmet will allow (unless you like it on the top like the Teletubbies, "Owwwwwwwe," and then who knows what you are pointed at.)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
All depends what your goal is.
Mostly just to capture the ride & a little bit of CYA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiDinh View Post
I wear a HJC FG-17 and have a GoPro 2 attached to the right side of the helmet and a Sena SMH10 to my left. I have them position in this way due to switching musics/making/answering calls with the Sena by using the left hand and the camera doesn't need to be touched as often on the right.

On the Versys, I attach it to my SW-Motech crash bars.
Thats quite the setup. I have a Cardo on the left side of all my helmets and for me the GoPro & VIRB XE's are a little on the large side for a helmet mount. If I can find a good deal on a bullet cam might pick it up for the helmet.

Oh, and whats with the last pic? Is your bike taking a nap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
helmet mounts are too far from the road and isolated from the lean, this reduces the sense of moto motion.
hadn't thought of that, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Cool video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
I want to get something setup more specifically for CYA - I'm thinking helmet cam is probably the best bet.. then start saving for an easy to remove (or easily concealable) cam or two for the bike to monitor behind and ahead of me for catching stuff the helmet cam misses (especially rear-facing)
What you're looking for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
For our tall bikes getting on, the right side is the best if your helmet will allow (unless you like it on the top like the Teletubbies, "Owwwwwwwe," and then who knows what you are pointed at.)
But mounting it on the top of my helmet would interfere with my faux mohawk I've added........kidding
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For the smoothest video with a bike mount on the Versys is here.....

IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
As Joe says front forks is the best.

I mount my Garmin VIRB elite to the RHS crash bar and a VIRB facing rearward to the RHS pannier frame.

I have also mounted it Teletubbies style on top of the helmet but I get a lot of head nodding in the video.

I have in the past mounted it to the top of my dash on the windscreen bracket as a dash cam. But I get way too much fine vibrations in the video and u think I killed a VIRB elite mounting it there
I have since mounted it to the handlebar and it is 90% better with much less vibrations as evident in better video quality and quieter sound (no buzzing)
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
As Joe says front forks is the best.
I'll do what Joe "does" and not what he "says."

Theoretically, it should be smoother, but:

1) On LA concrete (downtown severely wrinkled) slabs,especially with direct wind coming at me, my mirrors shake terrible, so I would absorb most of that shock for the camera,

2) A glance to where you are looking may be the difference between getting what you want to record or NOT, and

3) it is infinitely easier getting on and off your bike to keep it with your helmet so you don't leave it up for grabs if you forget.

Mounting on the bike what was I thought too, until i noticed all Joe's smooth camera work was on his helmet. You learn more from the masters by watching what the do and not say. ymmv

But I'll have both mounts just in case, and try both out.

Last edited by kawdog; 06-18-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For clarification .....I use my camera mounted to the helmet. Main reason i like to record where i look..Very smooth video, If you can set your Field Of View to 170 it takes out the viewer of the video getting sea-sick. The smoothest place on the bike i found for a mount is the fork tube.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
For clarification .....I use my camera mounted to the helmet. Main reason i like to record where i look..Very smooth video, If you can set your Field Of View to 170 it takes out the viewer of the video getting sea-sick. The smoothest place on the bike i found for a mount is the fork tube.
Hi joe.
can you share a link as to where to get this mount?
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all for the input.....this changes things

Had I gone the bike mount route I had planned on mounting it on the bars. Mounting it in the forks is interesting but will make routing the cables messy.

Mounts are cheap, will try a few options. Worst case scenario it will look like I'm filming Blair Witch 3
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Thanks all for the input.....this changes things

Had I gone the bike mount route I had planned on mounting it on the bars. Mounting it in the forks is interesting but will make routing the cables messy.
Not messy at all. I just zip-tied a 12V out on the cables along the front brake cable and used a charger cable for the camera. Later i moved a 12V outlet just behind the headlight...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danibalagan View Post
Hi joe.
can you share a link as to where to get this mount?
Here Ya Go..

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uti...inch-ball.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cam...m-b-202au.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Heres the view with the fork mount at 170 Field Of View....Video is almost 3 years old filmed on an older camera at 720dpi....https://youtu.be/g3uwwkZq79A?t=2m4s

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For a view in traffic.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzTWnQ_u5o

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode