Wheel Striping - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wheel Striping

Has anyone put wheel striping on their blue Versys? I was looking for some idea of where to purchase it so that it matches the paint. I want to make sure that it is reflective, too.

I found someone who did it on a red bike. (They bought it from this website: http://www.glsigns.com/wheelstripes.html. There are also choices of the size of the striping so I would like to have some information on that if anyone did it.

Thanks.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 PM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

There are lots of places to purchase it, I was hoping to find someone who verify the color matching for the candy plasma blue.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM

I have actually been looking myself. I checked e-bay, 3M dealers and local stores. No one seemed to have what I wanted. Then I found this:
http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/RimstripesHome.html
I will not settle for anything less than reflective tape. The better you can be seen, the "safer" you are.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes, that was one of the websites I found, also. It said the bermuda blue looked good I the bike, but I was concerned if it was a true color match or that was the best they have and they want to sell it to you. I agree on the refelective tape. If I am going to put it on I want it to be functional as well as good looking.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 AM

With so many shades of blue on bikes, It will probably NEVER be an exact match. The only sure way would be for the dealer to offer the tape, which isn't the case. But I would think that beyond 5 feet it would look close enough. Also, at night, it will not matter since it will reflect white.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
If there's a "Cycle Gear" store near, check them out. Got my red ones there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03977.jpg (960.6 KB, 261 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Only for the rear.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 AM

?#1. How durable are they? Would they come off if subjected to high pressure car wash?
?#2. How tough are they to get on straight (consistent to edge? I'm picky that way!
?#3. Anyone try em' from this company? They have advertised in the back of Cycle World for a long time. http://buudoracing.com/

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 AM

I ordered some from eBay, they were supposed to be reflective, they were not. I used them anyway. Very difficult to get perfectly straight. They have been on a year now and all the edges are starting to peal up. Those at http://buudoracing.com/ look interesting but they have no installation instructions posted online. I would love to see those instructions before ordering rather than after.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 AM

I have a Pin striping tool and use paint. The beauty of this method is it takes about 5 minutes to do the entire bike, and the lines are perfect. And the paint you use flows out really nice and looks perfect.

Here is the tool I got, tried it at the bike show and it was so simple to use.

http://www.beugler.com/how2.html
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Hey Fellas, (and ladies?)

I found these in a british car magazine ( Top Gear) http://wheelsprotector.com/
there's a item marketed for automobile wheels to protect the rims from curb rash....

Plastic piece that fits to the lip of the rim.....comes in many colors....might work for bikes too....but you would have to remove wheels to install.
Not as many color choices as "rimpro-tec" ( gold would be my choice for my "green" as they would pick up on the header pipe color.
28.99 GBP = $42.1428 USD.

Here's another product ... http://www.rimpro-tec.co.nz/ these are split so no wheel removal required!!!! and they do all the 'important' "V" colors too. 79.95 NZD = 56.5646 USD

wheelsprotector.com lists a USA distributor.....

Rolla LLC

726 W Wilson St., #N
Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Email:
[email protected]

Anyone have any experience with them?

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-16-2010 at 10:09 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
I have a Pin striping tool and use paint. The beauty of this method is it takes about 5 minutes to do the entire bike, and the lines are perfect. And the paint you use flows out really nice and looks perfect.

Here is the tool I got, tried it at the bike show and it was so simple to use.

http://www.beugler.com/how2.html
That looks very cool. Any pics of your handiwork?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 AM

VARRY VARRY IN TER RESTING

"Arte" Johnson", "very very interesting" (for you youngsters...Laugh-In...about 1719 I think...hehehe)

Thanks for the great ideas.
The striping tool would be great for a shop but expensive for essentially a one time use.
The rim-wheel-protectors seem to have the most appeal to me. Would sure like to know more about them than the site provides though before ordering. I hope one of you lovely riders out there has had some experience with these that they can share.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
VARRY VARRY IN TER RESTING

"Arte" Johnson", "very very interesting" (for you youngsters...Laugh-In...about 1719 I think...hehehe)

Thanks for the great ideas.
The striping tool would be great for a shop but expensive for essentially a one time use.
The rim-wheel-protectors seem to have the most appeal to me. Would sure like to know more about them than the site provides though before ordering. I hope one of you lovely riders out there has had some experience with these that they can share.
Me too "Pegasus",

I'm gonna give 'rimpro-tec a call Monday about ordering their rim kit....some of their site show 'green' but their ordering page doesn't list it.
One thing for sure....if their glues good....no peeling!
Might be the next bestest 'mouse trap'.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode