tank bags - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
tank bags

hi all im looking for a tank bag prefurbly magnetic so its easy to put on / take off.
what kind do you guys have that youve found work good on the versys?
pics and or links would be really nice
and cheaper the better for i am poor :\

thses are some i was looking at from egay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190831804673...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

so far this is my fav that i THINK will fit without any modding

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261356870348...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this one im sure will fit without modding but is a bit small (i dont even think my phone will fit in the phone pocket)

then theres ones like these that i know wouldnt fit without modding but would be really nice if not just a hair to big

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201244705705...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301569608749...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
this is the small one I'm using...great bag, surprisingly roomy, very well made

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...anker-tank-bag
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Might be small for you. But I've been using this one since 2010...Here one with out the Givi Name but its the same bag....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Givi-Bitchin...338790&vxp=mtr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
this is the small one I'm using...great bag, surprisingly roomy, very well made

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...anker-tank-bag
ya thats a bit way to out of my price range

yes im a guy.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Might be small for you. But I've been using this one since 2010...Here one with out the Givi Name but its the same bag....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Givi-Bitchin...338790&vxp=mtr

ya thats a bit small and i kinda like the multi pocket design to keep small stuff organized so i dont have to go fishing when i need something

yes im a guy.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have never used a tank bag on any of the bikes I've ridden in the past. I am using the OEM Kawasaki magnetic tank bag on my Gen 2 and it works GREAT. It's expandable and form fitting to the tank.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I have never used a tank bag on any of the bikes I've ridden in the past. I am using the OEM Kawasaki magnetic tank bag on my Gen 2 and it works GREAT. It's expandable and form fitting to the tank.
ya i really love that one but its almost $200 O.O

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
ya i really love that one but its almost $200 O.O
I got mine used for WAY less. I've seen them for $135 NEW (NOT from the dealer) before.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Everyone get tank bags and saddle bags. I think they both suck. Tank bags, you can't lay on your tank on the expressway, and it makes you sit almost perpendicular to the wind no matter what you do. And I don't like hard saddle bags because they are such wind blocks: soft saddlebags may be an option for me when I travel, maybe. If you don't think saddle bags are an air drag on the expressway, take the pummel masters off once and ride it: it's all the difference in the world above 55 mph.

My Seahorse 720 briefcase top case ($85 air tight) bolted directly to my rear rack (4 bolt/washer/nuts) pretty much serves as tank and saddle bags which are bolted on and have steel locks (and it's also jet stream.) Are you going to carry the tank bag with you all the time? If not, it and everything in it is history eventually. My 40" perimeter x 40" high tall duffle bag fills in the blanks including groceries every week (and I'm a big Southern boy.)

If you ride on the expressways frequently, the tank bag will show it's flaws immediately. It's a total waste of money, imo. If it's bolted on, you will never lay on your tank for wind fatigue and efficiency: i.e. real motorcycling. If it's not bolted on, "Adios Muchachos." Of course, you could carry it around like a purse and make it a part time job carrying it around and keeping up with it.

Last edited by kawdog; 06-17-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Everyone get tank bags and saddle bags. I think they both suck. Tank bags, you can't lay on your tank on the expressway, and it makes you sit almost perpendicular to the wind no matter what you do. And I don't like hard saddle bags because they are such wind blocks: soft saddlebags may be an option for me when I travel, maybe. If you don't think saddle bags are an air drag on the expressway, take the pummel masters off once and ride it: it's all the difference in the world above 55 mph.

My Seahorse 720 briefcase top case ($85 air tight) bolted directly to my rear rack (4 bolt/washer/nuts) pretty much serves as tank and saddle bags which are bolted on and have steel locks (and it's also jet stream.) Are you going to carry the tank bag with you all the time? If not, it and everything in it is history eventually. My 40" perimeter x 40" high tall duffle bag fills in the blanks including groceries every week (and I'm a big Southern boy.)

If you ride on the expressways frequently, the tank bag will show it's flaws immediately. It's a total waste of money, imo. If it's bolted on, you will never lay on your tank for wind fatigue and efficiency: i.e. real motorcycling. If it's not bolted on, "Adios Muchachos." Of course, you could carry it around like a purse and make it a part time job carrying it around and keeping up with it.

ya i dont want a huge tank bag that i then have to look around, also sadly alot of my riding is in the cite not the highway so i dont "laydown" on the tank very offen (also im 6'2 so i am quite upright to start with)
i already have a trunk box (tho it is a bit smaller then i wanted (cant put my helmet in it)) so i wanted the tank bag for such things as my chargeing cables for phone,gps,camera and so on, as well as my stickers (yes im 4y/o and like to put stickers on stuff<.<) phone ,key,wallet,lighter,cigs and other things i would have in my pockets or backpack, so it is more easly acsessable when on the bike, and when i would go away from the bike (like into store or whatever) id throw it in my trunk box if i dont wanna carry it.....

also take in mind 80%+ of my riding is two up (so makes having my backpack not the easiest sometimes)and again alot of it is in city riding.....

as for saddle bags.... id love those tusk hard cases but there so expensive and also it would make the bike so much wider and make it harder to squeeze between cars and stuff,,,, i do really like some of the smaller soft ones , they give a good amount of hauling space (i also do alot of my shopping on the bike)and easily removable when not using them

yes im a guy.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/luggage/tank_bags/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is an OEM for the Gen 1's that I got that is really a nice bag. It has a small map window that is sort of useless, but does expand, has a front strap/clip, is magnetic, has the rear set that is magnetic and has Velcro for adjustment and has wire ports. Can order from a local shop. If you need the SN, I can try to find it.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I have the same. Got it from Ron Ayers . Com for $125 shipped.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like this one with a nice GPS mount on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nelson-Rigg-...9d81d5&vxp=mtr
I don't have one, but will probably get one or one like this for gps usage.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 PM

Great post. Just cause someone does not want or need one themselves does not constitute a bad idea.

For those who never tried one, tank bags can mean the difference between NO PICTURE and a relatively rare photograph. This taken from my KLR, I eased to the side of a gravel road and this fellow could have cared less about me... but I did not have to dismount to grab the Nikon and a very reliable 18-200mm.

A cheesy shot of KLR chums, who had little time to react when the camera was slipped from the tankbag. Practical, spontaneous.

Yeah, why would anyone want that, right?

I actually loved the posture this setup made possible, and I enjoyed the feeling of having the tank bag there to occasionally call upon. Pull to the side of the road, foot on brake to light the brake light, leave a turn signal on, reach in bag and remove a snack, a map, switch from sunglasses to clear/night use glasses, etc. If I was going in somewhere, easy enough to take it off and bring it with me. I had a thin cable lock encouraging mine to stay on my tank, threaded through and around the steering neck of the KLR.

Silvie- this tankbag on my old/former KLR here is magnetic, and does not fit the Versys to my liking. It's yours if you want it man, it's got 34,000 miles of use, and aint like new, but one man's junque another's treasure if you can use it. Glad to help out another rider.

I have been thinking of this one from Amazon, seems to get good reviews, and looks like it might match up well to the angles of a first/second gen. tank.

I have tried flat-bottomed style tank bags - one I used on my KLR, and it was not the fit I was wanting.

This one shows up as $67.90 for me, but I have the Amazon prime membership. If you are not am Amazon member I think it's more, but I have also seen this same bag for sale around the web by other sources.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G9W9O3C/ref=s9_wish_gw_d81_g263_i8?ie=UTF8&colid=2RH1GVEU8SFJJ&coliid=I3FPA89PMYS2OW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=14H16TCXQMQY8BZ9ER0F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2105317182&pf_rd_i=desktop
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
I like this one with a nice GPS mount on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nelson-Rigg-...9d81d5&vxp=mtr

I have a brand-new one of those tank bags for sale for $75 plus shipping if you might be interested.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Great post. Just cause someone does not want or need one themselves does not constitute a bad idea.

For those who never tried one, tank bags can mean the difference between NO PICTURE and a relatively rare photograph. This taken from my KLR, I eased to the side of a gravel road and this fellow could have cared less about me... but I did not have to dismount to grab the Nikon and a very reliable 18-200mm.

A cheesy shot of KLR chums, who had little time to react when the camera was slipped from the tankbag. Practical, spontaneous.

Yeah, why would anyone want that, right?

I actually loved the posture this setup made possible, and I enjoyed the feeling of having the tank bag there to occasionally call upon. Pull to the side of the road, foot on brake to light the brake light, leave a turn signal on, reach in bag and remove a snack, a map, switch from sunglasses to clear/night use glasses, etc. If I was going in somewhere, easy enough to take it off and bring it with me. I had a thin cable lock encouraging mine to stay on my tank, threaded through and around the steering neck of the KLR.

Silvie- this tankbag on my old/former KLR here is magnetic, and does not fit the Versys to my liking. It's yours if you want it man, it's got 34,000 miles of use, and aint like new, but one man's junque another's treasure if you can use it. Glad to help out another rider.

I have been thinking of this one from Amazon, seems to get good reviews, and looks like it might match up well to the angles of a first/second gen. tank.

I have tried flat-bottomed style tank bags - one I used on my KLR, and it was not the fit I was wanting.

This one shows up as $67.90 for me, but I have the Amazon prime membership. If you are not am Amazon member I think it's more, but I have also seen this same bag for sale around the web by other sources.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

you sir get my point that is exactly why i want a tank bag
and what do you mean doesnt fit to your liking? just a bad angle?do the magnets not grab?to big? or other?

and as for that one on amazon... that is really nice and i like that shape of it thank you

yes im a guy.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post

That is too big for the Versys. Barely works on my concours.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
That is too big for the Versys. Barely works on my concours.
ya i agree that that one is a BIT big... if i was riding 100+miles a day or doing a long trip id love that one for the camel hump holder part and the gps and phone holder....

yes im a guy.

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Silvie,

I will dig out my old tank bag, and see if I can get a pic of it to show you the fit. I have my tank and side panels off, but hopefully back on over the weekend here- it also had provisions for straps + the included magnets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode