Grip puppies - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Grip puppies

Very cheap farkle added today. Grip Puppies. The added width is nice and they are super comfy. Easy to put on with water and a little dish soap. I trimmed the right one about 3/16". The left one fits about 1/2" over the bar end, but it gives you that much more of a comfy grip.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Agreed. Have them on both my Versys and K75S and am a big fan.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was having problems with my throttle hand getting tingly after about 30 minutes of riding. I thought maybe I was death-gripping the throttle but that wasn't it.

I finally grabbed a set. Frankly, I was concerned as most people say they don't eliminate or significantly reduce vibration.

I did a short 60 mile run this morning with half of it being some gentle twisties. And I now understand why people love them but in the same breath say they don't do much for vibration.

After two hours, not once did my hand tingle. And yet the vibs were still there. So they are reducing something on the Versys (maybe certain vibe frequencies) without killing the front end feel/input.

I have become a huge fan in a single ride.

Now, if they only had a grip puppy product for that god-forsaken seat and my tingly butt.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
I was having problems with my throttle hand getting tingly after about 30 minutes of riding. I thought maybe I was death-gripping the throttle but that wasn't it.

I finally grabbed a set. Frankly, I was concerned as most people say they don't eliminate or significantly reduce vibration.

I did a short 60 mile run this morning with half of it being some gentle twisties. And I now understand why people love them but in the same breath say they don't do much for vibration.

After two hours, not once did my hand tingle. And yet the vibs were still there. So they are reducing something on the Versys (maybe certain vibe frequencies) without killing the front end feel/input.

Now, if they only had a grip puppy product for that god-forsaken seat and my tingly butt.
You'll have to take a look at my wife made seat pad when we ride. It's not an Air-Hawk, but it is just enough to take the sting off.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I am glad for you that the GP's give you some relief, but it sounds like you need to get that carpel tunnel fixed. I had that done in 1997 and it's been perfect ever since. Before that, I could only hold my throttle for about 5 minutes.

Quote:

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
I am glad for you that the GP's give you some relief, but it sounds like you need to get that carpel tunnel fixed. I had that done in 1997 and it's been perfect ever since. Before that, I could only hold my throttle for about 5 minutes.
I don't think I have Carpel tunnel. I guess it's possible since I have been a musician forever. But it never shows up in anything else that I do.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I don't think I have Carpel tunnel.
That's because you don't.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
That's because you don't.
So I'm not gonna die?

Cool!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 04:36 AM

Anatomically, Grip Puppies work wonderful if you have 6' tall man hands or taller. It keeps you from cramping your grip down (very painful on distant driving.) If you are 'significantly' shorter, the Vs. 650 might pull the bars out of your hands (whoops!) when you hammer the throttle down since you can not grip the bigger grip enough to hold on (acceleration > grip force.)

It's only $25 shipped, so you will never know until you try it. But if your hands get cramped often, from repetitive trauma disorder via hand cramps and stagnated blood, you will love it if it is installed correctly. It's not hard. And numb hands will only be when you grip it hard (like you tend to do if the grip is too small) vs almost every time you grip a smaller diameter grips with big hands.

Take care of your hands while you can.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Anatomically, Grip Puppies work wonderful if you have 6' tall man hands or taller. It keeps you from cramping your grip down (very painful on distant driving.) If you are 'significantly' shorter, the Vs. 650 might pull the bars out of your hands (whoops!) when you hammer the throttle down since you can not grip the bigger grip enough to hold on (acceleration > grip force.)

It's only $25 shipped, so you will never know until you try it. But if your hands get cramped often, from repetitive trauma disorder via hand cramps and stagnated blood, you will love it if it is installed correctly. It's not hard. And numb hands will only be when you grip it hard (like you tend to do if the grip is too small) vs almost every time you grip a smaller diameter grips with big hands.

Take care of your hands while you can.
This actually makes sense to me. I'm on 5'11" but have large hands.

Im going on an all-dayer today up to Mt Mitchell. We'll see how they do.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 05:45 AM

I use tennis grip wrap to add to my grips. Just add another layer if the first sweep is not enough.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
I use tennis grip wrap to add to my grips. Just add another layer if the first sweep is not enough.
And the heated grip 'elements' under the regular grips underneath still go through the grip puppies (they must be Gel grips too): not as strong but you just turn it up a fourth turn more and it gets hot enough (sorry button heated grip owners, no continuous variability for you.)

The hardness density of them are perfect, They are quite an ergonomic treat for hands at $25 - good vendor. I use my heated grips very rarely now since my hands don't get cramped frequently from squeezing a small grip (holding on for my life!)
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 AM

I don´t know about heated elements, I live in a tropical climate so 70´-85´F year round.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
I don´t know about heated elements, I live in a tropical climate so 70´-85´F year round.
I learned owning several BMW's how useful heated grips were for grip cramps in any weather. It's one of the many luxuries I afford for my hands/extremities: you can't do enough for them! ymmv

You want your palms toasty, but not too hot where the veins collapse: just right
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 PM

The dealer is getting my 2015 V1000 in this week, ordering accessories in advance.

I was wondering what size Grip Puppies I need for the V 1000. I saw two different diameters.

Since I don't have the bike yet, not sure which one to order.

Thanks

Last edited by otrp; 07-27-2015 at 01:49 PM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:26 PM

I've got replacement heated grips on my V---wonder if they'd actually go over them easily?

I've got RSV (Carpal, basically) in my arm and it brutalizes me. I've been looking at a set of the http://www.amazon.com/Rox-Speed-FX-Anti-Vibration-1R-AV2SE/dp/B002LGPXBC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QSAZ68CESKBEC02NTE2 but was worried what 2" might do for my cables.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Grip BUDDIES for me. Easy on and off, nice and thick, dampen vibration etc. But to me the best feature is no more hand cramping due to the V's thin stock grips and my huge hands.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/grip-buddies/review.htm
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrp View Post
The dealer is getting my 2015 V1000 in this week, ordering accessories in advance.

I was wondering what size Grip Puppies I need for the V 1000. I saw two different diameters.

Since I don't have the bike yet, not sure which one to order.

Thanks
These are the ones that I got. Dollars to doughnuts, they'll be perfect for your V1K too. I didn't know there were two sizes. Guess I just got the right ones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FD6DXW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 PM

Thank you both for the info.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM

When you order them directly, same cost, they will make sure it's right fof the model and year. It took me a long time to find Grip Puppies but it was well worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode