Bar End Mirrors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bar End Mirrors

I'm getting freaking sick of the stock mirrors on my Gen1. They flop around to much to be useful and are ugly. So I'm wondering what bar end mirrors are people using and what they think about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I didn't like the stock mirrors either and replaced them with KTM Super Duke mirrors. Very pleased too - they stay put, don't vibrate and I can actually see what's behind me. Others have installed Aprilia Tuono mirrors and seem to like them.

I'm not a big fan of bar ends. Had them on a Suzuki T500 cafe bike (many gears ago) and on a Velocette. They were OK but I was more interested in style back then. Now, the less I have to shift my eyes and head to glance at the mirrors the safer I feel and the happier I am.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I didn't like the stock mirrors either and replaced them with KTM Super Duke mirrors. Very pleased too - they stay put, don't vibrate and I can actually see what's behind me. Others have installed Aprilia Tuono mirrors and seem to like them.

I'm not a big fan of bar ends. Had them on a Suzuki T500 cafe bike (many gears ago) and on a Velocette. They were OK but I was more interested in style back then. Now, the less I have to shift my eyes and head to glance at the mirrors the safer I feel and the happier I am.
I've never thought of using KTM Mirrors. there is a dealer a few miles away. I may have to hit them up. I've seen the Tuono ones and I don't like the look.

Now lets talk about this Velocette of yours! I love brit bikes.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i had bar ends on my cafe and liked them for i have very broad shoulders (20"+) so having them past my my arms help rear visibility. but dont like how much wider it makes the bike (i lane spit, go thru door ways, and tight parking spots , and so on) so i just added washers, tightened and lock tighten the hell out of the stock ones and added some cheap bubble mirror addons to aid in rear visibility and there working quite well for me

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 PM

Gnarshead, I strongly suggest the CRG hindsight stuff. I may have gotten them at MC superstore, or one of the people who provides goodies for our types of bikes. they are more expensive than the other options, but the best rated, and I had no vibration problems. Will post some pics tomorrow. You will also have to get the Rhino bar ends, but do not have to remove any of the existing weights. The downside is that they are not as big as the regular mirrors, and you have to look down a little versus looking ahead and just moving you eyes slightly with the regular mirrors.

I also have put on the extenders for my regular mirrors, but unless you locktite them after you get them positioned just perfectly, you can end up getting some unwanted movement. I hear great things about the Aprillas, and they are not very expensive. the ones I have fold in on a pivot, and will kick in it hit. Have not dropped it with them on, but imagine they would not survive well. I have both an oval pair and a teardrop pair, and may be willing to part with one. Let me test them over the weekend.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 PM

Here are the pics with the round Lane splitters with the hindsight swivels. Looks pretty damn clean with the little stock screen and these mirrors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhino Bar ends and CMG Lanesplitters with swivel.jpg (41.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Starrboard mirror.jpg (38.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg V's brow with OEM shield.jpg (36.7 KB, 100 views)

rayj
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 AM

I replaced them on my 15 with these mirrors I still had from my 09 Versys. There actually put together from grounding pipe clamps and the stems and mirrors from a set of cheap bar end mirrors I got off Amazon. No vibes, never adjust them and I can see a whole lot more. I like them better then the stockers. The second pic is when they were unpainted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys2 003.jpg (102.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Versys 004.jpg (145.0 KB, 89 views)

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.

Last edited by Timberdog; 06-10-2015 at 06:54 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 AM

Locktite http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_l...r-Blue-242.htm blue will keep the stock mirrors from moving. And Speedy's mirror extenders will keep your shoulders from blocking the view.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Garage
I've got a CRG lane splitter that I nabbed off ebay for significantly less than MSRP (which is high) Still debating whether or not I need another. It's been since last fall and I'm leaning towards no.

Luck favors the prepared.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:41 AM

Timberdog, what type of hand guards do you have on there, and is that a custom bar end?

rayj
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:30 PM

No, those are the stock handguards and bar ends that come on the 2015 650 LT model. I like em' and they fit well.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 AM

rayj - looks my green 2009. I bought the mirrors and bar ends from a member here. I can finally get a view of what's behind me.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 AM

Has anyone tried these with hand guards? Curious what that would look like or if it would even work.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. I looked at CRG's but they are expensive.

Timberdog: I love your setup. That's awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode