SW Motech side rack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
SW Motech side rack

Hey all, looking for some opinions on these racks:
http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-mot...7-10-evo-style

I already have a set of pelican cases to put on em.

do i need the side case adapters specifically for the pelican cases? or can i make my own easily?

also, should i get the keyed fastening kit? or would a secure torx bolt be good enough?

any info would be appreciated.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey Leggie,

There are some options, maybe not as many as a KLR.
I had a 2009 KLR before the Versys, and I ran Motech stuff from front to rear and up and down, just my choice. It's like oil, tires and riding boots, 5 people will give you 5 opinions, none of which are right or wrong.

I used SW Motech side racks and their specific bracketry mounts to hang Pelican-Hardigg storm cases IM2600's on my previous KLR, and I loved it.
Several of us put the same rig together, using the same sources.

You could bolt or wingnut, etc the Pelicans to the Motech side racks, or use some of the hangars that Happy Trail sells. We all went with Motechs' entire system, but you could mod it and mix and match some of this.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Departmen...order=1&page=2

When I put my Versys together I went with primarily the same Motech accessories, as I would at least expect the same service from them again. I use the keylock part to secure my panniers to the side racks and maintain quick release, but I did not buy the locks this time that lock the side racks to the bike. Much of this could be accomplished by using a small cable lock and some metal eyelets. Some small padlocks probably more efficient from one aspect, as my flush mounted keylocks typically filled with dust and dirt and sometimes were a bit gritty.

The Motech side racks are kicked out a bit on each side, to accommodate bikes with side exhaust I expect, and some think it's too wide. I actually like it, as it leaves room to conceal a tool tube behind each pannier.

If you end up going with MOTECH, I am glad to walk you though any of it, shoot you some pics or give you my phone number if you need a long-distance hand or have a question. Motech is notorious for having "limited documentation" with their metal-artwork, and most of that is in German.

I am running aluminum panniers this time, but this is based on MOTECH beneath it.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM

I haven't run side cases since my K1100LT in 1997, but from looking at 'those' alternatives, it looks like they are reaming Pelican box owners. I'd use the cheaper Seahorse bags (look just like Pelican bags), so I'd be interested in what you get. I may be in the market for using on trips.

Did you check with Happy Trails yet? They are not real cheap, but at least they support Pelican and Seahorse bag users better than most retailers.

There are members here who have the Seahorse bag rack combo's, and I think Givi rack's will work. Therefore, new or used, it's about $200 for a set of side racks but I'm not sure if they are the best: although Givi are good quality products all the way around. Therefore, when I would be in the market, I was going to inquire from Happy Trails.

I hope some current Pelican or Seahorse bag owners will discuss their rack purchase decisions, but most just say they used the racks they had already: almost exclusively Givi racks.

Last edited by kawdog; 06-09-2015 at 10:46 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
based on price and availability... i might be leaning towards a happytrails side rack at this point...
http://www.happy-trail.com/Kawasaki%...3-96a314340a2b
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
$309 for SW Motech at Twisted Throttle. If you shop based on cost alone, you may or may not end up with the better product.

In stock http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...7-10-evo-style
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
$390.54 canadian for the rack...
and another $219.47 canadian for the pelican case adapters
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 PM

There are many ways to mount the boxes to the racks, ranging from simply bolting them on to specifically designed bracketry. My suggestion is to consider some way that allows the boxes to easily be removed or be certain your key will clear the left side box so you can unlock the seat.
I have Caribou boxes mounted on SWMotech racks and must remove the left box to access the seat lock.
Just something to consider.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggie11 View Post
based on price and availability... i might be leaning towards a happytrails side rack at this point...
http://www.happy-trail.com/Kawasaki%...3-96a314340a2b
That looks good, except that's a chunk of metal to always carry around for rare use (for me.) The soft luggage saddlebags may be the best for my use, and much cheaper (although it may not be as cheap as I am :-) Of course if you don't see your rack with your bags on it, it's hard as hell to make a valid comparison.

You may want to check soft luggage alternatives out just to be sure you have all the bases covered. Soft luggage is cheaper, even if you already have the hard bags ($85 per bag w/metal lock waterproof seahorse bags each includes shipping for hard baggage costing comparisons.) You can water/sun proof soft luggage w/3m spray from home depot, and you don't always have to carry around the racks. The soft bags really are more like luggage (where hard bags are like 1950 refrigerator luggage.) IF you don't need racks for soft luggage, $100 (est.) and your bike not looking like a batting-cage (w/o bags on it) would be big selling points for me, not to mention the constant air drag (w/bags on it) and possible hard bag damage (like if it ever falls over.) Putting on and taking off the racks seems kind like an unreasonable amount of labor for convenience. ymmv I was just 'batting" around some alternatives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode