just ordered seat concepts seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile just ordered seat concepts seat

I just ordered a seat concepts seat last night for my versys in full carbon.im at the end of the weight range, so it will probably be just a bit soft, which is ok.

with the stocker, it feels like everything just rotates up into my tailbone and starts getting uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. I thought maybe the seat just needed to be broken in, but its just the shape of it that is causing the discomfort. the density on the stocker would be ok if it were just more flat.

I tried resting the front seat latch on top of where its supposed to go and it wasn't working for me. it still had bad forward slope at the rear of the seat, and when I tried to scoot to the front, it would crush the goods more than stock.

I already have a set of Rox 2" anti-vibe risers. I imagine i'll be using them after I get the new seat on, since I should be riding a bit further back in the saddle. they might clear up the mirrors a bit too.

i'll post some before and after shots once its done along with a review of it.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:11 AM

I have a couple of Seat Concepts seats. They are very nice. Both of mine are the "normal" foam. Maybe a little firmer than stock.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I didnt specify a different density foam, so I have the standard foam coming. Should be fine for me, since the seat shape is what im after.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:04 AM

I went with the "firmer" option on the foam. But I weigh 220 lbs., so for my weight, it feels fine. Much better than stock.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 10:32 AM

I like how the carbon pattern looks as well. I can't wait to see the before/after pics as well as the review.

I have been thinking about ordering a seat from them as well...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 PM

it's a gorgeous seat, and when you slide back from the tank, the seat is flat and doesn't make you roll forward like the stock seat. Padding is firmer, for sure.
Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
it's a gorgeous seat, and when you slide back from the tank, the seat is flat and doesn't make you roll forward like the stock seat. Padding is firmer, for sure.
Enjoy!
Is that bike on a stock side stand or is it almost upright and level? I'm thinking your engine is overfilled with oil

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
GREAT eyes - I agree...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 PM

what tools are needed for this job, just a stapler?

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

should be a stapler, flathead screwdriver to pry up the staples, and pliers to pull the staples.

this here just gave me much more confidence to do it myself

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19287

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Talking

I got my seat kit last weekend and had it installed the next day. it took me about 3 hours from start to finish, including a run to get a pneumatic staple gun.

for the record, the silver hand stapler from arrow that costs about $17 will NOT fully seat 1/4" staples into the seat base. I borrowed it from work though, so no harm in trying it. I bought a pneumatic arrow staple gun from Lowes for $35 and it worked great and I have a new tool, rather than bringing it to an upholstery shop.

the seat is absolutely awesome! no more forward slide and my tail bone is not being crushed anymore! the seat is curved in a bit now where the widest section is, vs the stock seat, which is curved out causing the tailbone pain. I cant flatfoot the bike anymore, but it's not the end of the world. (6'1", 32" inseam)

im right at 240lbs and the standard foam density is working good for me.(need to cut back on the pizza a bit)

I don't have any pictures of the new seat on the bike yet, but I will get some and post the before and after pictures up this weekend.

overall, WELL worth the $170! no need to shell out $500 for a Corbin.

BTW, if anyone else is going to buy the kit from seat concepts, use coupon code "ADVRIDER.COM" to save $15 on it.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
GREAT eyes - I agree...!

Yeah! Sonofnothing, you can remove oil by getting a plastic turkey baster at Walmart, or they even have oil syringes in their auto department now. An overfilled oil engine is not good.

Yamadog must have a VPN (virtual private network) like me, and your life size pictures take a while to collapse: so he probably saw your oil inspection glass life size for about a minute, lol.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Yeah! Sonofnothing, you can remove oil by getting a plastic turkey baster at Walmart, or they even have oil syringes in their auto department now. An overfilled oil engine is not good.

Yamadog must have a VPN (virtual private network) like me, and your life size pictures take a while to collapse: so he probably saw your oil inspection glass life size for about a minute, lol.
I'm being lazy at the moment so I'm not bothering to look through old threads. I'm new to the V so I don't know if this applies, but I never found the site glass on my Connie useful for anything except a general indication of the temperature, or perhaps the day of the week. I change the oil, put in what I'm told to, and ride.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBlue View Post
I got my seat kit last weekend and had it installed the next day. it took me about 3 hours from start to finish, including a run to get a pneumatic staple gun.

for the record, the silver hand stapler from arrow that costs about $17 will NOT fully seat 1/4" staples into the seat base. I borrowed it from work though, so no harm in trying it. I bought a pneumatic arrow staple gun from Lowes for $35 and it worked great and I have a new tool, rather than bringing it to an upholstery shop.

the seat is absolutely awesome! no more forward slide and my tail bone is not being crushed anymore! the seat is curved in a bit now where the widest section is, vs the stock seat, which is curved out causing the tailbone pain. I cant flatfoot the bike anymore, but it's not the end of the world. (6'1", 32" inseam)

im right at 240lbs and the standard foam density is working good for me.(need to cut back on the pizza a bit)

(stuff deleted) .
Glad to hear that you like it. I have mine sitting in the car at the moment...I'm hoping to install it myself over this weekend. I've found that my electric stapler doesn't work (staples crumple), so will try out my pneumatic stapler tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying it out!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 AM

Just got my new Seat Concepts seat last week. I concur with everything Thunderblue said. Quality is top notch, it sits just a tad higher than stock, it positions your ass all the way back against the seat riser, the foam is firm and it's a bit of a stretch to the bars now. I'm 5'10 with a 31" inseam, 220 lbs, and it feels firm and I can't flatfoot now. Not a big deal, I grew up on dirt bikes and my last bike was a KLR so I'm comfortable on my tip toes. I can't say the seat is perfectly comfortable for me (a little firm) but I can say I've noticed that I don't think about the seat when riding like I used to. Not thinking about it means my butt has no objections to it.
I chose to have Seat Concepts install the cover because I didn't have a staple gun that would do the job and figured for $20 I can't buy a stapler. When I unboxed the seat I noticed there were 5 staples that had come out, three of them were all in one place side by side which made the cover lose in that area so I ended up buying a staple gun anyway so I could restaple that area.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

as promised, some pictures of the new seat, and also the new saddle bags and fender extender.

stock seat

seat concepts with 2" anti vibe risers

its amazing how that small fender extender makes the front of the bike look so much more substantial than without it!

stock seat

seat concepts with 2" anti vibe risers

and one with the saddlebags

I don't notice the seat while im riding anymore, so the new seat is doing what its supposed to do.

sometime next week, my barkbuster storm handguards and sw-motech engine guards should be coming in, so more pictures will be posted of them later.

im really loving how this bike is coming together. I cant think of a more perfect and versy-tile motorcycle for the money!

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 05:33 PM

Nice looking installation!

I just did mine today, and, while I anticipate having to replace a few staples somewhere along the line it came out OK. It feels good so far, but haven't had a chance to take it for a ride- had one too many beers while finishing up the installation (i.e., one).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode