Paint/graphic scheme for a 2010 Vers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Paint/graphic scheme for a 2010 Vers

I actually have a 2008, but snagged a basic pic of a 2010 for fun, and mocked it up to see what it would look like in a darker OD green, and messed with a graphics idea for the side panel. Much as I am a Kawi supporter, and former KLR guy, I have always thought their "badging" was a bit basic, and they get an arm and a leg for new decals in the event you repaint your bike (correctly) and remove the old stickers. The odd shaped side panels have that wonderful larger flat area on the sides for "art", but the shape does not work for most ideas.

I wanted something with "wings", and I stumbled onto the idea of a Russian sickle. Right, it's NOT A URAL, I get that. But if you Google around, I read one interpretation of the original Russian graphic idea, and the thought was, it was supposed to represent "the common man" or the common "hard working guy, hands in the earth kind of thing".

I thought there was some "crossover" there for the Vers, it's certainly a bike for the common man, being VERSATILE, and more affordable that a Vstrom. Just my (UNSTABLE) interpretation /.

I de-badged my old KLR before changing the color scheme, and my 2008 Versys faces the same "fate". I have had THREE red bikes in a row, and still have a backup/Sunday bike that is red. So I am considering other options, much as I like this, I might take the boring route and go with a nice conservative GM gray metallic or black metallic.

I thought someone might get a kick out of this, or it may spawn some ideas for the next guy, so enjoy. I am going to run with the graphics I designed (pictured). I confess I saw the wings somewhere else and kind of ran with it.

(KVS) = Kawasaki "Vs")

EDIT:

Oh, here is a similar mock up on a first gen.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 04-24-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I like it. A good idea well executed. I have de-badged and re-badged my V several times now.

There's many pages of other ideas and examples in this thread too:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=424

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i like it

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Someone added 'sharks-teeth' to the fairings, very similar to the WW2 P-40 fighters' teeth.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 PM

For resale value, for what it's worth, a rebadged or no badge (esp.) Kawasaki Sport bike screams "wrecked bike." But do what you like is the most important thing. I think my paint (esp.) and badge are already a work of art though: the most evolved Vs. 650 Classic timeless look.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 PM

looks awesome! Love the green

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:26 PM

This is pretty awesome. Love the color combo. Headers and clutch cover look anodized or something

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i still say add a shark mouth to the front fender like on this

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks you guys. I appreciate the feedback. I agree, a repainted bike can imply that something had happened to it. For me, I have ample photos of the before, after, during and "after" of my bikes that it's no problem to substantiate the "journey" the appearance of my bike's made, if someone questioned why I made changes or alterations.

It's also so subjective, as far as what one rider-owner wants or likes for the "look" of their bike, I agree, it can or no doubt will have potential impact on re-sale, and especially in regard to a potential "trade". Having worked for a dealership, I know that "personalized" bikes are either avoided or sometimes the trade allowance or "offer" is lower as a result of personalization.

That being said...

I have had several bikes over the years, and the Versys is one of those bikes I can see being handy or useful to keep around. It's always going to have a "value" to me. You guys bring up great insight.... it occurs to me there might be a certain "line" a guy might cross at some point between "personalization" and keeping it to something that could be re-VERSED () with relative ease, example, pulling custom decals with a heat gun and fitting the bike with stock stickers to better "neutralize" the art factor for the next guy.

Perhaps the middle ground is to perhaps go out on a limb and change or stray from stock colors, but keep with decals or other cosmetic mods that could be easily un-done in the event the bike has to "go".

The airplane nose-art theme seems to be TIMELESS.

It took me a minute to figure out why something about it was familiar or pleasing, it has the same red-black-white colors scheme as the graphic I dreamed up over a couple beers.

Yes, "teeth" as part of most any graphic scheme always a great bet!

Here is a silver one I messed around with- did they make some silver or gray Versys in the European market, I know I have seen some in silver or gray here and there- but not in the USA. Actually, the basic bike pic I stole to paste all this on was silver-gray so someone has one...

I also thought there was a "call" for something else that spoke about the bike in the form of some lettering, that Kawasaki might have overlooked.

Something I was kicking around was the line about

"59.4 Hp injected parallel twin"

Something that could follow that upper body line of the side of the fairing and be scaled for that area:

Just desktop-ideas. Nothing in stone.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 AM

Garage
It's called Metallic Moondust Grey. It was available alongside Kawi green for 2009 in Canada - and you're right, not in the US. I think it was in Europe too. Here's bone stock:

And some of the re-badge jobs:

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode