GoPro Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GoPro Help

Today, I was just informed how GoPro's help save Motorcyclist's bacon on the road from hit an runs. I guess that is one reason Joe has one.

I heard the Silver model for $400 is as fast of film speed as you need, saves $100, and has touch screen for immediate playback (a pragmatic choice.)

Other than maybe the waterproof case, I was thinking about the remote control and battery pack for up to 3 or 4 hrs (??)

My only question for now, if all else above looks reasonable, is where to mount it. Maybe on the bars and on the helmet too. On the bars seems better for picture quality, but on the helmet (top??) would be more flexible as to what you are looking at all around you. But I just don't know if that would be that much more of a difference, and if straight ahead would be most of what you should capture. And moving head back and forth, you may miss something important. You'd never know what it was aimed at until you reviewed it later (the handle bar mount like Joe does is sounding better and better vs ultimate flexibility.) The helmet mount would be cool for looking behind you and seeing how cars are running up on you: for defensive strategies. Of course that would be the day you needed pointing straight ahead!

If anyone has any suggestions, please respond. GoPro is kind of a motorcycling requirement in the big city. Joe's no dummy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Do yourself a favor and get a Drift...Phuck GoPro...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have 2 of these....http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Innovation-Ghost-Waterproof-Camcorder/dp/B00A48RMKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429850529&sr=8-1&keywords=drift+ghost

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you want to meet up one day. I can show you my set up and go over a few things with you. With the GoPro you have to spend too much for all the BS accessories and mounts...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
From today....But its not all about people trying to kill ya....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:49 PM

+1 on the Drift.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Also you don't need a battery pack for the drift. If you have a USB outlet on your bike you can run the USB cable that comes with the camera to run power to it and not have to mess with extra batteries.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:00 AM

Upon watching the Drift Ghost and Ghost S videos/reviews, the choice was clear. Just pulled the trigger on a ghost s, myself.

great comparison

His is clipped to the fairing which is very smooth compared to the go pro here

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you want to meet up one day. I can show you my set up and go over a few things with you. With the GoPro you have to spend too much for all the BS accessories and mounts...
Yeah, that's great. I thought it was high, but i did get about 25% Vet discount off that: even still... I didn't know what you had, but I knew that's what I wanted. I'm glad he didn't have any silver ones in stock today, lol.

I live in Norwalk and could meet anywhere this or any weekend. I was thinking about going to Burt's Mall and look at a Husky TR650 Strada some time. It's another midrange 650 monster that can outrun KTM's fastest 690cc: well until KTM bought Husky out and discontinued that model (from BMW.)

My private messages must work finally, since I got one lately, so let me know when and where would be a good time on the weekend to meet
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Yeah, that's great. I thought it was high, but i did get about 25% Vet discount off that: even still... I didn't know what you had, but I knew that's what I wanted. I'm glad he didn't have any silver ones in stock today, lol.

I live in Norwalk and could meet anywhere this or any weekend. I was thinking about going to Burt's Mall and look at a Husky TR650 Strada some time. It's another midrange 650 monster that can outrun KTM's fastest 690cc: well until KTM bought Husky out and discontinued that model (from BMW.)

My private messages must work finally, since I got one lately, so let me know when and where would be a good time on the weekend to meet

Just tried to send you a PM and it won't let me. We are both in Norwalk so just pick a place and time and i'll meet you there. So far I'm free today all through the weekend.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Just tried to send you a PM and it won't let me. We are both in Norwalk so just pick a place and time and i'll meet you there. So far I'm free today all through the weekend.
OK, I think I just figured it out on my settings. I had a receive only from Admin and Contacts checked, doah. That's fixed now (?) anyway.

I'll PM you. THANKS!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
drift is what i got......better mount better profile better battery life. better price.......

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 05:20 PM

I've got a YouTube channel of my various motorcycle based antics.

I started out with a cheap camera and then upgraded to a drift HD. After a year of continuous troubles with freezing and corrupted video files it was replaced under warranty with a newer Drift HD Ghost. The newer model then proceeded to freeze up 3 times on my first ride. So it went on ebay and I bought 2 Sony AS30v's with the money!

And they work just fine!

See for yourself here: https://youtu.be/5LT-jXwvgN4

and in case you decide to look at any other videos, apologies for the yamaha. I'm a a versys convert now!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 PM

The drift as mentioned about is leaps ahead than the Gopro for motorcycles. I have a Drift Ghost S (battery close to 3hrs), the Hero 4 (1hr 15mins) and an SJ4000(1hr 30mins) . I only use the GP for rear mount action or front to pic the wheel up. On the helmet it looks a complete tw*t. The drift looks neat and can be mounted anywhere. As for picture quality, the go pro is a little better, but you can't really tell.

If your concerned about coverage, buy 2 or 3 SJ4000s for the price of 1 gopro. Battery lasts longer and the picture is arguably as good. You can mount one on the rear, front and on your helmet if you want. You will still look like a nob with it on your head as it is copied from the GP design.

I really don't know why there is such a big following of Gopro?

Oh, the drift is built like a tank. Dropped mine 20ft onto concrete, not a mark on it. Weatherproof out of the box.

If you haven't seen it, helmet shot is the drift. Rear and wheel shot is gopr or SJ4000 (mainly at end of vid). You can tell SJ4000 ter clip)as it has the stamp in the corner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR42-caItOQ

Last edited by BKKPhil; 04-24-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode