Mikes Shield Vs Givi and Others - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mikes Shield Vs Givi and Others

Ok, its about time to get me a shield. So I've been reading all the threads on the shields and I see the Mikes making the rounds but it seems more folks are getting the shield than are coming back to give their feedback / thoughts.

So, how about anyone whos had both Mikes and Givi or any others to compare and whats your opinion? pros/cons of each? I like the idea of buying from a fellow V rider so I'm leaning heavily towards Mikes.

Question.... I plan to get the Acerbis Dual Road at some point down the road. Think I read the Givi can cause clearance issues and wondering if Mikes Touring has any issues with these handguards? I'm 5'9" so I'm thinking the Touring would suit me fine vs the G Touring. My use will be mainly twisties as I plan to stay off the main highways as much as possible.

Thoughts for the new guy....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I have the Givi on my '09 and it is fine. Very useful on the highway and commuting, which I tend to do with my V a lot. In the twisties it doesn't make a huge difference one way or another. Quality piece, easy to install and works as described. What more can you ask for?

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM

will have one of Mike's on Friday and going on a longish weekend trip - will be able to comment then

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM

I've had mike's tinted touring shield for a while now and love it. I don't have hand guards so I can't comment on clearance but I've done a lot of twisties, gravel and logging roads and it's held up nice. Sometimes at dusk, night or in heavily shaded areas the tinted can be a little too dark if your on the back roads and concerned about keeping your eye on ruts and loose gravel and the like.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM

I am interested in seeing how Mikes shields fit with handguards as well. Maybe by the time I get the demo I will have handguards on my bike already.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Hey smedv,
Speaking from research and ownership of a number of windshields, I have found that a windshield with a "flip" at the top creates more turbulence at helmet (noise) level than a non flip windshield. I corresponded with Mike and he told me that he was going to be making one without the flip. I've been waiting to hear from someone who has tried one of Mike's without the flip if anyone has, and also hopefully the same person has tried a Givi too, so a comparison could be made. I have gathered from this forum that the two most popular choices here, are Mike's & Givi. I suppose it's possible that both Mike's and Givi windshields are so good that once a person tries either one of them, they see no reason to try anything else which would explain why I don't remember seeing a post from someone who has tried both. I would definitely like to hear such an opinion and also the height and inseam length of the user and where it comes to on a level plane from the top of the windshield to let's say, the tip of his nose or other landmark.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM

I have Mikes shield and so far it has been the best edition to the bike. Highway riding is comfortable now and I think it matches the bike well!
If any doubt get on the list for the demo model going around, seeing is believing!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
Hey smedv,
Speaking from research and ownership of a number of windshields, I have found that a windshield with a "flip" at the top creates more turbulence at helmet (noise) level than a non flip windshield. I corresponded with Mike and he told me that he was going to be making one without the flip. I've been waiting to hear from someone who has tried one of Mike's without the flip if anyone has, and also hopefully the same person has tried a Givi too, so a comparison could be made. I have gathered from this forum that the two most popular choices here, are Mike's & Givi. I suppose it's possible that both Mike's and Givi windshields are so good that once a person tries either one of them, they see no reason to try anything else which would explain why I don't remember seeing a post from someone who has tried both. I would definitely like to hear such an opinion and also the height and inseam length of the user and where it comes to on a level plane from the top of the windshield to let's say, the tip of his nose or other landmark.
I didn't think the standard Mike Shield, The Touring, had a flip? Does it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM

yes, it does at the top.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, my bad.... I was thinking Aleeoop meant it had some sort of flip out wing of sorts. I suppose he's talking about the curvature at the top of the shield.

Last edited by smedv; 05-06-2010 at 12:42 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Givi is Groovy

I've got the Givi, and I love it. Huge improvement over stock, especially at freeway speeds. I tend to agree with the guy who said that both Givi's and Mike's are probably both such big improvements over stock that those who buy either one are satisfied.

HandKPhil

HandKPhil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode