accessorizing the versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
accessorizing the versys

so, I've only had the versys for a week, but im already adding accessories to it!

I ordered the nelson rigg SPRT-50 saddlebags from denniskirk for $90 based on Iamlegend's pictures of them on post #32 http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...oft+saddlebags

I also ordered the fenda extenda to help keep road debris off the radiator.

my list of future mods:

MadStad windscreen
Barkbuster Storm handguards
SW-motech engine guards
mirror extenders

then there are the mods im unsure of.

seat, I like the corbin on my 93 seca2, but have heard mixed reviews on the versys. the stock seat feels like its getting better the more I ride it(250 miles so far)

I might get a tail bag, but I think the nelson rigg sprt-50's should hold enough for me. if they don't, then a tail bad is in order.

I think I might like a better valved rear shock (its kinda harsh right now, haven't messed with it much), but not sure of where to begin.

im off to go get the first inspection done on the bike, since I bought it out of state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 09:42 AM

You might want to check preload on the rear shock (and on the front).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Mods can certainly be addictive. I've had my '09 Versys since last October, and here's the list of things I've added, which are highly recommended:

Motowerks Mirror Extenders
Motowerks Anti-vibration Handlebar Riser
Grip Buddies
Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag
Cortech Super 2.0 12-Liter Magnetic Tank Bag
Givi D405ST Windscreen
Zeta XC Armor handguards

Recently bought a Kriega R20 backpack. Going to adding some Kriega drypacks soon. Maybe a tail light modulator as well.

When I bought the bike, the previous owner installed a new Corbin saddle, Yoshimura exhaust, tail eliminator, Aprilla mirrors, lowering kit, and it was debadged.

Last edited by Yeti; 04-18-2015 at 02:58 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

i've been playing with the damping settings, and I think I have the setting about as good as they're going to get without upgrading components. with them softened up to where the ride is more compliant and not as jarring, it's a little bouncy on the rebound.

I have the rear preload on 2 and the damping at either 4 or 5 towards soft.
the front is the stock setting for preload and the damping screw is 1.5 turns towards soft.

I weigh 240 lbs, and it needs slightly less high speed compression damping up front with even less in the rear. the low speed is ok on the front, but the rear needs less low speed compression damping. the rebound can stay like it was at the stock settings for the front and the back.

my question, is what rear shock offers adjustable high and low speed compression adjustment with separate rebound, and is there any way to get separate rebound and compression damping on the front forks(without spending a fortune)?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBlue View Post
i've been playing with the damping settings, and I think I have the setting about as good as they're going to get without upgrading components. with them softened up to where the ride is more compliant and not as jarring, it's a little bouncy on the rebound.

I have the rear preload on 2 and the damping at either 4 or 5 towards soft.
the front is the stock setting for preload and the damping screw is 1.5 turns towards soft.

I weigh 240 lbs, and it needs slightly less high speed compression damping up front with even less in the rear. the low speed is ok on the front, but the rear needs less low speed compression damping. the rebound can stay like it was at the stock settings for the front and the back.

my question, is what rear shock offers adjustable high and low speed compression adjustment with separate rebound, and is there any way to get separate rebound and compression damping on the front forks(without spending a fortune)?
THAT is the key.. Many have switched out to a 07-08 R1 shock with the possibility of an aftermarket spring based on rider weight and needs.
The sky is the limit with outfitting our bikes. Some go with a street oriented theme, while others (myself included) opt for more of an ADV theme. To each his/her own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBlue View Post
...I think I might like a better valved rear shock (its kinda harsh right now, haven't messed with it much), but not sure of where to begin....
I'm very happy w/ my R1 shocks - they have MANY damping adjustments, and I changed my forks over to Walmart ATF, so they feel much better too.

BEST description of my Vs - the 'ride' is PLUSH, paved or dirt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WalMart fork oil copy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	62609  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode