ACERBIS Dual Road Handguards w/ LEDS - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ACERBIS Dual Road Handguards w/ LEDS

Just ordered some ACERBIS Dual Road hanguards with LED lights from Thailand. The guy is a Power Seller, so it is unlikely he is going to rip me off; I am guessing the odd writing is due to translation (I've bought a ton of stuff off of ebay....this one seems legit enough). The description is a bit funny, but it does clearly state that one set (1 LH + 1RH) handguards are included, mounting kits, balance weights, and white LEDS. Total price came to $95.00 CDN with shipping.

I will let you guys know what they're like when I receive them... could be genuine and everything I am expecting, but who knows. 10-28 days for arrival. I'll hold my breath

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-DUAL-ROAD-STR...item563aeafeb3

Last edited by Banack; 04-28-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Thanks Banack,

by all means keep us posted.
the guards are a fine looking bit-o-kit.
Hope it all pans out as planned, cuz I'll be next in line....
be well
ride safe
Peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Haha someone has to be the guniea pig!

Will keep you posted for sure.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 AM

I'm right behind ya! Way to take one for the team Banack! )
Let us know how you make out.

Take the long way home
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

ALAS! They arrived, but are at my brother's house located about an hour away. I will have them on Wed or Thur... will post pics before I start turning screws.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM

ACERBIS Dual Road Handguards

I just ordered a set w/o LED's from Motorcycle Super Store, $126.99 free shipping to my door by Friday may 21st.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mine were $94.00 with shipping.... will find out the quality of the product tomorrow.

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 PM

To save ~$50 I'll wait a few weeks. If they are the real deal and not some knock off.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

I just worked out my schedule for the week and should be able to have them in my hand by Thursday. Will take pics and post.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Ugh. Got sidetracked. Finally picked up the handguards today.

They look like they should work. I have a feeling Acerbis isn't making any money off of them and a company is simply ripping off their specs and making good money, while saving me $50+. The LEDs and wiring came with the handguards and they were all put together and in place on arrival.... I took one apart just to make sure, which was surprisingly much more difficult to put back together (not that hard, but trickier than I had anticipated.)

I will slap them on my bike tonight hopefully. Have friends coming over in two hours for cranium and beer....will have to work fast to figure out this wiring.

I put an album on with a bunch of pictures (the loonie is in the photos to give some sort of scale). Will post more once I put them on the bike. I am thinking of trying to get a piece of amber transparent plastic made that I can put some sort of adhesive on and stick to the handguard, to change the color from white to amber... the bulbs may be changeable, but that sounds too easy

Last edited by Banack; 05-25-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: because adding pictures to this forum is more difficult than it is easy :)
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM

How do you route the wires cleanly when they come from the end of the bar?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM

My wires come out the other end of the handguards through the little hole. From there I tied them to the cable clusters and down to the blinker wires behind where the blinkers are mounted on the small fairings.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

This is how they came when I received them, although I think I can do what Steve has suggested and run them out the hole on the other end.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM

trouble mounting

I received mine from the Motorcycle Super store and had some trouble with the mounting. First I didnít realize that when the bar end weight's were removed, I had to cut off the welded insert in the handle bar, this done simple mount the hand guard, nope the insert that came with the kit was too small to tighten up on the ID of the handlebar. It would tighten enough to keep the guard in place but it could be moved easily and wouldnít do crap if the bike fell over. The Kit even sayís it fits a Kawasaki Versys, so Iím returning my kit to the Motorcycle super store for a refund minus $6.99 shipping. I will try E-bay and save some money.
Anyone else have this problem?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm... I'm a little lost. What did you mean by "I had to cut off the welded insert in the handle bar?" I understand what you're saying, of course, but where is the welded insert you speak of? I looked through the other posts and read about the welded piece, but I didn't look into it any further.

I took off my bar end, grabbed the bolt out of it, put my Acerbis Dual Hand Guards where the old bar end used to be, and used the original bolt from the original bar end. I tightened the hell out of it and it feels pretty secure, but if you're worried about it moving, grab some Loctite.

Good luck.

Last edited by Banack; 05-25-2010 at 07:49 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM

those look tits man!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I'm a bit of a closet South Park fan, so I am going to have to go with "tits" being a good thing. I slapped one of the handguards on today and it went on with no troubles. I still need to figure out how to wire them into my signal lights. No clue where to start. But I did run a current through one of them and know the lights work for sure. Will post pics once I figure it out, hopefully someone is able to help me out with a description + photos.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Banak, I was going to try that but didnt like how the hand guard met up with the welded insert. To add to my story above. when I contacted Motorcycle Super Store, lets call it MSS, they gave my a 1-800 number to Acerbis to see if they would help me out. At first Josh at Acerbis said he would do whatever it took to fix the problem that he needed the P/N from the package to know if they MSS, sent me the right part. When I called Josh back with the P/N number he confirmed they sent me the wrong part even though the package state it will fit the Versys. He then said MSS has not paid their bill and I need to try and get this resolved through them. I then asked him, if I had received the right kit would I have had to remove the welded insert to install the guards and he said yes for proper install the welded insert must be removed and their expandable fastener used in its place. anyway my handguards are on their way back to MSS for a full refund minus $6.99 for shipping, The reason for return I said poor product quality instead of wrong part as the Kit clearly states it will fit the Kawasaki Versys and Josh know's the packaging states just that, so I dont put blame on MSS but Acerbis in this matter, I must add MSS has been very good to me.

Last edited by Nytrydr; 05-26-2010 at 09:47 AM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Alrighty, sounds good. Good luck, glad to hear MSS treated you well. Customer service has been surprising me lately (in a good way), but that's another story.

Stagehand, they seem to work well. I put one on my bike and it fit perfectly, no issues with the OEM windscreen. I put a current through them and the LEDs lit up very brightly, look really good. I am trying to figure out a way to turn them amber/orange... I am either going to use a transparent covering on the inside or some sort of paint (will talk to my brother on the weekend, he is an electrician and has 10-fold the knowledge I do when it comes to this stuff).

Unless anyone has some pictures and advice, shucks-me-darnit I'm lost with this one. I don't ever mind asking questions, as long as I learn something

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM

can they work as running lights too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode