new versys What should I mod 1st? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
new versys What should I mod 1st?

Just bought a white 2013 Versys and I have been lurking around the forum a lot reading up. I have always had sport bikes. What should I change/modify/up grade first on this bike? With the CBR it was frame sliders and cutting off that deer head license plate display on the back. What did you do first to yours or what would you have done first? This is my first new bike doing it on my own, always had help. I have some technical skills and tools. I changed the oil the second day. Suggestions would be appreciated, there is a lot of info to disseminate. Thank you.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Garage
Speedy lowering block ... A must if you are on the taller side of the Gaussian statistic curb

LOP
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For me, it was stainless brake lines and Vesrah RJL pads. Coming from 4 piston sportbike brakes, I found the V's 2 pot sliders lacking

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
mine was used when i got it and was lowered , had a givi screen, cut down licens plate holder, heated grips.and rear rack mount cheap hand guards ....

my first mods were to add a rear rack and trunk box, 12V power supply, LED lights, rad guard, gps mount, tank guard,alarm system, battery tender hookup, rede horn upgrade(want to replace with wolo "truck horn")ninja rad fan, synthetic oil, and probably other things im forgetting

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:37 PM

Garage
Fill the gas tank and ride it. Figure out what YOU want changed. I see things that others do on here and don't really understand why. But it makes them happy, so more power to them. I am sure some would question a few things I have done to my V, but I'm happy with it.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I second what HAWKSHOT99 said. Only YOU will know what needs to be changed in the way of ergonomics and styling. As for function, quite a few have changed tires pretty quick as the stock rubber leaves a lot to be desired. IF you plan to do any non pavement riding take a look at engine guards, hand guards, skid plate, mud flap mod, front fender extender, ALSO the seat hasn't been a big hit with many riders who spend more than an hour in the saddle. Just a few suggestions

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 PM

Mirrors.

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I second what HAWKSHOT99 said. Only YOU will know what needs to be changed in the way of ergonomics and styling. As for function, quite a few have changed tires pretty quick as the stock rubber leaves a lot to be desired. IF you plan to do any non pavement riding take a look at engine guards, hand guards, skid plate, mud flap mod, front fender extender, ALSO the seat hasn't been a big hit with many riders who spend more than an hour in the saddle. Just a few suggestions
I agree AJ but what you said about the seat is the kind of info I was looking for. What do most people change about the bike, something not up to a general standard. Engine guard, that seems to be something added frequently. Only for taking the bike off road tho?

Also, any threads or info about using bike stands with this bike? I have two. One is a pitbull. I could not use either one of them on the V. What do I have to purchase to make one of them work on the rear?

I'm definitely going to lower it.

Beth
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire View Post

Also, any threads or info about using bike stands with this bike? I have two. One is a pitbull. I could not use either one of them on the V. What do I have to purchase to make one of them work on the rear?

I'm definitely going to lower it.

Beth
do you have rear spools (or like me just bolts that are of the right size and thread)i then use my cheap HF rear stand

yes im a guy.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you have spools installed, the rear stands will work. However, the V is a bit narrower than the average sportbike the non-adjustable PitBull stands are made for. I have one of the kind that you can adjust the width on.

Solution? Order the Woodcraft spools that include spacers. Put one spacer on the chain side. The spools are now the appropriate width apart to accommodate a regular stand.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin...&category=10MM

I ordered the 2-step (2 spacers) as I wasn't sure if I'd need both or not. Turns out just one on the chain side is sufficient. If you order the standard spools, then order one spacer separately.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just bought a white 2013 Versys and I have been lurking around the forum a lot reading up. I have always had sport bikes. What should I change/modify/up grade first on this bike? With the CBR it was frame sliders and cutting off that deer head license plate display on the back. What did you do first to yours or what would you have done first? This is my first new bike doing it on my own, always had help. I have some technical skills and tools. I changed the oil the second day. Suggestions would be appreciated, there is a lot of info to disseminate. Thank you.

Beth
1) Rear spools for the swing arm are really cheap on ebay and necessary to do maintenance on the bike along with a rear pit stand. Just a suggestion but don't go too cheap on the pit stand as some stand up better than others.

2) SW-Motech engine bars will pay for themselves the first time you drop your bike on it's side which is easier to do with a tall bike. They should come standard with the bike.

3) Givi touring windshield makes the bike look better and works much better than stock shield too

4) Hard, lockable luggage - top box or side bags is very useful

Last edited by twowheels; 04-15-2015 at 09:07 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
ALSO the seat hasn't been a big hit with many riders who spend more than an hour in the saddle.
I think the big complaint about the Versys seat is getting pushed forward into the tank. Doesn't do that to me at all. But a friend who rode my bike complained of it.

The Versys seat is unpopular, but it seems to work for a few of us. And I've spent a lot of time in the saddle.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I think the big complaint about the Versys seat is getting pushed forward into the tank. Doesn't do that to me at all. But a friend who rode my bike complained of it.

The Versys seat is unpopular, but it seems to work for a few of us. And I've spent a lot of time in the saddle.
same here.. i dont mind the seat at all tho im also good at using my legs to properly hold myself on the bike

yes im a guy.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:34 PM

The stock seat works well for me too.

The first thing I did was slap a tail bag on the seat. I use it constantly. Everything else I've done has been to fine tune small irritations with the factory set up.

I haven't tried them for functionality, the the SWMotech crash bars give me a fair bit of piece of mind... But then, I'm short.

IBA 12512
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:29 AM

Garage
Lowering block (if needed)
Crash bars
BarkBusters
Taller screen (if needed)
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:38 AM

I have a 2013 V. When I got this nearly new used bike, it was bone stock. The first thing that was uncomfortable to me was the screen. I bought a tall screen, didn't do the job and then got a spoiler on top of the tall screen. Here is a pic of my V.
IMG_20150329_093804.jpg

Next up bought a RAM universal X phone holder (to use maps on the move).

I later then figured that my tyres also required to be changed, took help of our forum member here Gigitt who suggested the Pirelli Angel GT's and that's what got. Boy I love them!

I am now thinking of investing in the engine guards.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:

Beth
BECAUSE bikes tend to fall over every-now-and-then, I would suggest "crash-bars" (LOTS of good ones out there...) and "hand-guards" as they will save you a LOT of problems when the "inevitable" happens.

Quote:
...IF you plan to do any non pavement riding take a look at engine guards, hand guards, skid plate, mud flap mod, front fender extender...
I would modify Jeff's suggestions to..."IF you plan to do ANY riding...take a look at engine guards, hand guards, etc...", NOT just dirt.

Quote:
I agree AJ but what you said about the seat is the kind of info I was looking for....Beth
Beth - check on SEARCH for threads on raising the front of the seat - THAT was my FIRST mod on each of my Vs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:58 PM

new versys What should I mod 1st?

Quote:

Beth
I have been contemplating posting this information for a while so I guess your question sealed the deal so to speak. These are the mods I put on my new 2012 that I got in February of this year and remember this is just my opinion you ultimately have to make the final decisions.
1. 16 tooth front sprocket – almost like having another gear in the transmission does not accelerate nearly as quickly using the same gear as stock sprocket but seems to deliver better gas mileage and doesn't really have as high rpm when cruising. But I sometimes miss the quicker acceleration.
2. Mirror extenders - I think very necessary if you want to see what's behind you.ImageUploadedByMO Free1429215286.819826.jpg
3. Engine guards - A practical accessory because the probability of a drop at some time seems to be quite high. Mine was first day getting out of my rainsoaked yard on slick
moss. After making a list and comparing prices and features of all available engine guards to my knowledge I chose Dimotiv because of its unique safety features and price. Go to bottom of listing for picture.
3. Lowering bar for the bike and for the foot pegs. For me it was necessary for comfort. I used Motowerks - they are very well-made. It changed the angle of the seat to where it was much more tolerable riding rather than certain things being crushed toward the tank. I did not lower the front forks.
4. Luggage and racks – I bought E21's and E 52 from craigslist. ImageUploadedByMO Free1429216411.471292.jpg
I bought the Nomad rear rack because it seems to sit lower than other racks I saw and the Givi PL447 because it's more narrow than any other racks to my knowledge.
5. Spools and pit stand – spools are standard fit - you just have to choose between composite or metal. I chose Venom stand because it only cost $40(eBay), it's well-made, and it is long enough so it doesn't interfere with the rear fender sticking down.ImageUploadedByMO Free1429217170.301987.jpg
Other mods like Fender extenders, rear hugger, different lights, seat, handguards, Wind screen, etc. can be added dependent upon preference and need. I made a list of each option I wanted with all of the available brands their cost and quality before I made a decision as to which one to purchase. Good luck and I hope this helps a little bit. Remember, these are just my opinions.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1429215773.559726.jpg (73.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1429215866.604131.jpg (73.5 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by E327; 04-17-2015 at 05:05 AM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, friends! That was the info I was wondering about. I have questions:

I want to get luggage. Not sure of hard or soft. Just sides or sides and tail. What should I know about the mounting hardware? What, if anything, do I have to change on the bike to attach luggage mounts? Should I wait to find the luggage before ANY mods?

If I am able to cut the license plate holder off will that interfere with any aftermarket farkles? If I removed the license plate holder will that also remove the tail lights? I want to do it right so do I need a tail light kit or can I keep the originals?

Will lowering the bike interfere with any future farkles? Is it necessary to lower the foot pegs when lowering the bike? Should I try a new, lower seat before I lower the bike? I am 5'7".

I will get the spools, they will work with at least one of my stands. I saw mention of a few brands, what are some other brands I should check into?

Same for engine guards, that's a no-brainer for me. What are some brands you folks use?

THANK YOU so much for your thoughts, I have come to rely a lot on forums to take care of my vehicles since my divorce and I am figuring out how to do a ton of things!

And farkle, farkle, farkle to you all!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode