Another mirror fix (a definitive one) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another mirror fix (a definitive one)

So, after suffering from those poorly designed mirrors for a year I decided it was time I did something about them.

At first I was planing on machine some extenders and just tightening the mirrors up, but as I was trying to loosen the nut to see how they were put together the damn screw end snapped in half and the mirrors were now useless (you have to give credit to the engineers who came up with an alloy that's weaker than Loctite, really!).

I scrambled and decided to recycle the mirrors and fix the problem definitively. I turned an M10x1.25 thread onto a 1/2" rod on the lathe because I had no dye to cut it ([email protected]#%# metric fine threads), bent the rods with a MAP torch, cut the mirrors off at the bend and welded both halves together. I had to set the welder to a ridiculously low setting, again because that cheap steel melts like butter and spatters everywhere. I power-sanded the welds and gave 'em a fresh coat of black paint.

The mirrors are now 1" higher and 2" further off to the side (almost flush with the bar ends). I can now see BOTH lanes of traffic behind me (as opposed to just seeing my shoulders). They are awesome. I'd say the only damn thing Kawa got right with these things is that they made them big enough. The rest is all crap.

The only down side to the new design is that I can't adjust them without a wrench (save for the swivel on the mirror itself), but I've never had to do that while riding so... I'm happy as hell!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miroirs 4.jpg (25.9 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg Miroirs 5.jpg (27.6 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Miroirs 6.jpg (24.1 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg Miroirs 7.jpg (93.4 KB, 415 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Nice job! I did just the opposite of your method and reworked them to be bar end mirrors. So far they work excellent. Yours is a pretty darn good fix.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Very nice job!

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode