12v outlet help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
12v outlet help

Hi All -

2 questions -

1) I've looked and found many 12v outlets online - some clunky looking others without a cover....I am looking to mount on the dash (drill the dash) - pls post recommendations as to where to find the best

2) Where did you wire it into? I have thoughts about direct to the battery, but would rather have is fused...also I would like it not to draw power when the ignition is off...

TNX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:37 PM

I guess drilling holes and mounting one in the dash is OK. I installed this one instead. Came as a kit with the smaller and better BMW style power outlet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Nice - I can't read the brand from the pic - where did you get it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:13 PM

I ordered it from www.twistedthrottle.com There are 2 different power outlets, the larger cig style probably won't fit, I opted for the smaller one. It's better and has a more secure fit when plugged in. I had to order an adapter and a new male plug from Powerlet, all quality stuff. Another view:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.powerlet.com/

Photos not uploading

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Go to a marine/boat store, most of thier units will have covers. Or wal-mart boat department.

Cb
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Go to "easternbeaver.com" Jim Davis runs/is the company. He has the outlets you are looking for and pretty much everything else you could imagine for auxilliary motorcycle wiring, including switched fuse blocks. I believe he sells one that has a built in relay which you will need for switched power and no wiring overheating. Another company, Centech sells "AP-1" and "AP-2" fuse blocks which require a separate relay. Some people like to have them separate. Other than wiring protection, these fuse blocks also allow you to easily add accessories later. The BMW/Euro outlets are good stuff but since most U.S. cell phone, GPS, IPOD chargers/power units have cig lighter connectors, you will need an adapter which is available from Powerlet. Remember, the more connections you have, the more possibilities for a bad connection. I installed both types of connectors on my last bike and found I didn't use the BMW connector so I'm just installing the cig connector on my Versys, but a good quality one. Jim Davis and NAPA also have "Posi-Lock" and "Posi-Tap" wiring connectors. The "Posi-Tap" is the best solderless connector for tapping into a switched power source IMHO. Hope that helps........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM

+1 on the outlet from Twisted Throttle. I have the excact same setup as mcrider. That mount works perfectly on the versys handlebar mount and is very tidy. The smaller plug is also called "BMW type" plug. Powerlet and Aerostitch are also good resources for power connectors. I use a BWW-to-cigarette lighter style adaptor and run it into my tank bag to charge cell phone etc.
I have the fuse box from Eastern Beaver. It's a high quality unit and uses an external relay to power it up with the ignition switch (it also has 2 unswitched fuses if you want something always on).
I just noticed that Aerostitch now has a purely solid-state power distrivution box that uses breakers instead of fuses. Don't know much about it but looks interesting.

Cheers, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode