Shad SH48 Top Case - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kawdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shad SH48 Top Case

I was tired of waiting on the color matched Kawasaki Top Case. I was told by my dealer when I purchased the bike it would be 6-8 weeks. Now I was being told that it would be late May or maybe even June before getting it. I could not wait any longer. My wife loves riding with me and she feels much more secure with a Top case in place. We also have a couple of 3-4 days trips coming up so I wanted to make sure we had something before those trips.

I had a SHAD top case on my C-14 and was very happy with it. i called Shad ( http://www.shadonline.com ) on a Friday and 5 days later I had all of the products. it installed in a little under two hours. It looks great on the bike and I have to say that I am very happy with the purchase. We leave on Friday for a 3 days over night trip, so I will let you all know more when I return.

Jerry James
Pillion: Jamie
2015 Versys 1000LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Looks GOOD... and WHO is the guy w/ the "sh*t-eating-grin"?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
looks nice.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM

Garage
It damn near looks like they used your bike for their pictures!

I just just ordered my top case yesterday. After seeing this shad case, I'm almost tired of waiting for my top case already!

Last edited by Wulff81; 04-08-2015 at 09:19 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:32 PM

Heck, that looks factory to me! That's the good thing about the 1/2 black paint packages, you can add anything black and it blends in beautifully. Damn, he is the grinningest rascal I ever did see. He evidently has his deluxe tourer the way he wants it for now (with other's V1K sitting in the port of Los Angeles waiting to be unloaded.)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Looks GOOD... and WHO is the guy w/ the "sh*t-eating-grin"?

Don't know, but I'll bet is middle name is ''Proud'' !

AND

BTW, nice case, still work as far as design goes, dark at the bottom of the bike, a little spalsh of orange in the middle and re-dark on top !

LOP
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I never go with a color matched top case. I buy another bike the top case goes on it so black always works.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 PM

I used a SHAD 50L for years on my Concours, a good source for their products is www.Murphskits.com, He's sponsor of the Concours forum and an all around nice guy. I painted my bike and included the color on the Shad. They hold 2 modular helmets easily or a whole lot of the wife's makeup.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 PM

Garage
Well, my top case showed up today. But Kawasaki is not clear at all about what the right parts are. Needless to say, but there is and EXTRA bracket you need as well. Soooo it actually costs more to mount the case on the 650 than it does for the top case itself... WTF!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.8 KB, 172 views)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo10s View Post
I was tired of waiting on the color matched Kawasaki Top Case.
Looks great. Thanks for the info.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
Well, my top case showed up today. But Kawasaki is not clear at all about what the right parts are. Needless to say, but there is and EXTRA bracket you need as well. Soooo it actually costs more to mount the case on the 650 than it does for the top case itself... WTF!!!
Yeah, you need a rear rack to mount it on, but it will be worth it in the end. Everyone has to do the same thing. It's just a B when you are budgeting , and sales markets that way so you will buy it without knowing upfront you'll need more money to get it installed. I spend all my time on the web figuring out what facts ads are hiding from me; and its all required information in purchase decisions and installation requirements - it's not their money or time they are wasting though
aemacleod likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 07:40 PM

Garage
Face -> Palm. Bracket is supposed to be in in a few days. I'll take some good pics and post a short write up on the install if anyone would like that. I'll make sure and list all of the necessary part numbers as well in an attempt to help others miss out on the fun frustrations I have experienced. Wish I could help with the sticker shock of it.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo10s View Post
I was tired of waiting on the color matched Kawasaki Top Case.
I was unhappy with the price of the Kaw box, so I joined your club. I went with the 49 liter though. I also got a rack that mounts on top of it to carry shoes (very important with the small bags). And all that was about $150 cheaper than the Kaw box. The only downside is it requires an extra key. Oh well.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:19 PM

Not a shad but my trusty little givi
On a home made rack that I am still working on

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
Not a shad but my trusty little givi
On a home made rack that I am still working on
Nice work. It's probably much better than the OEM. I was reading thru the manual last night and saw they limit the weight on their luggage rack to 13 lbs. That means after I get my box installed, I'll be able to carry one pair of socks in it.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Nice work. It's probably much better than the OEM. I was reading thru the manual last night and saw they limit the weight on their luggage rack to 13 lbs. That means after I get my box installed, I'll be able to carry one pair of socks in it.

Only "crew length". "Over the calf" might be too much!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
i noticed my SW-motec rack says 16lbs limit..... i think a 0 is missing tho because i sat on it no problem =p i think its just a cover there own ass thing with the max weight thing..
and my cheap ebay $20 special trunk box... only thing i dislike is my helmet dosnt fit in it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1413077262690.jpg (64.5 KB, 144 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i noticed my SW-motec rack says 16lbs limit..... i think a 0 is missing tho because i sat on it no problem =p i think its just a cover there own ass thing with the max weight thing..
and my cheap ebay $20 special trunk box... only thing i dislike is my helmet dosnt fit in it
Yeah, I don't reckon I'll break out the scale before packing, but I have to admit, I am a little leery so some of this plastic luggage business. My empty OEM Yamaha trunk went bouncing down the highway after it's plastic fastener snapped. I probably had it there for about a month/thousand miles. Glad my wife wasn't leaning on it.

I had a hard time getting Yamaha/my dealer to refund the box under warranty. They finally did, but wouldn't refund the sales tax, f*ckers. I never dealt with them again and they went out of business not long after.

On the bright side, I had a Givi box from a previous bike that mounted up nicely and worked great for years.

FJR_Gap.jpg
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 AM

My Shad 49 liter box.

IMG_1485.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode