New Gear Indicator!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Gear Indicator!!!

All
I was unwilling to pay $150 for a GIPro gear indicator. So after a long time of research prototyping with lots of trial and error, I now have a working unit. I worked on it untill 6:30 am this morning. I used a factory connector to connect to the "diagnostic port". No cutting or splicing for this baby.. From the ECU I get gear and water temperature. I added a voltage sensor and digital temp probe. So off the 3 wires from the ECU I get a lot more than that little GIPro gear indicator.

The front plate is ABS plastic cut to fit. The mounts for the plate are 1x2 oak cut to the correct angles, painted black. They mount to what was an aluminum cross bar, bolted to the windscreen brackets. To ensure this prototype fit, I cut the bar between the oak rails. From there I have a connector near windscreen bracket. From there is a small wire to the Diagnostic port connector.

With this unit I can customize the display color. In this case I wanted to match the main dash as close as possible. I created the larger gear numbers, cause the regular small ones are too difficult for an old man like me. The names under water temp, outside temp, and voltmeter can be whatever fits. 4 spaces per item. The display is a RGbacklightght) 16x2 LCD ( 2 rows high, 16 characters wide).

Now I am going to look into producing this. I don't know what the price would be yet. That depends on cost and what people would be willing to pay, So give me some feed back to what you would pay. I am not out to screw over / overcharge anyone.
Video Link As this is first video.

No Video
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket-LEFT.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	61834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket-PAIR.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	61842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate_unit-OFF.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	61850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagnostic_Port.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	61858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Color_Match.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	61866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Startup_Message.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	61874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Working_lcd_2.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	61882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Working_LCD_3.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	61890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Working_LCD_4.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	61898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Working_LCD_Bright.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	61906  

Last edited by mikej; 04-03-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:11 PM

That is awesome. Like way awesome. I wish I knew how to do stuff like that. I couldn't even figure out how to hook up my stupid air horn and back off brake light thingy. If you do produce this I would get in line for one. I was going to buy a volt meter and an ambient thermometer, soooo gear indicator wouldn't hurt I guess

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I assume that the "N" on the left of the display is indicating Neutral? Is your unit waterproof?

Complete unit (waterproof) - how's $100 sound...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As Ian says, that is waaaay cool. I would be interested in one should you decide to go into production. Hoping, as Fast Eddie asked, is will be waterproof. Cost - something in the neighborhood of the GiPro indicator sounds like a ball park start. Press on!!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 04-03-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:37 PM

A round of applause for your great effort and technical acumen. Must the mount be that size and shape? Might your device be mounted in a less conspicuous manner?

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
All
I was unwilling to pay $150 for a GIPro gear indicator. So after a long time of research prototyping with lots of trial and error
Well done.

My question is how did you figure out what was what? I assume the info to the diagnostic connector was serial (CAN?) and mixed in with a zillion other bits of info. My guess is you like solving puzzles.

I don't know what such things go for. All the bikes I've had in for the last 20 years or so had a built in display for this stuff, but I'd say you'd be safe charging $150 if that's what the competition charges and your device has that much more info. If you end up making one that works with the V1K, I'd buy one.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I assume that the "N" on the left of the display is indicating Neutral? Is your unit waterproof?

Complete unit (waterproof) - how's $100 sound...?
Yes Eddie N for Neutral. Yes final product would be weather proof.

Last edited by mikej; 04-03-2015 at 04:01 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
A round of applause for your great effort and technical acumen. Must the mount be that size and shape? Might your device be mounted in a less conspicuous manner?
The minimum size would be 80mmx36mm. The LCD size. I just made a large panel to fill the open area.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Well done.

My question is how did you figure out what was what? I assume the info to the diagnostic connector was serial (CAN?) and mixed in with a zillion other bits of info. My guess is you like solving puzzles.

I don't know what such things go for. All the bikes I've had in for the last 20 years or so had a built in display for this stuff, but I'd say you'd be safe charging $150 if that's what the competition charges and your device has that much more info. If you end up making one that works with the V1K, I'd buy one.
Could you look under seat to see if it too has the 4 pin connector? Should be black with round yellow "fill caps" no wires on the top side. The ECU should have same protocols and place holders.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Could you look under seat to see if it too has the 4 pin connector? Should be black with round yellow "fill caps" no wires on the top side. The ECU should have same protocols and place holders.
I've only got a deposit down and a dream at this point. But if my bike ever materializes at the dealer I will check it out for ya.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Well done, VERY well done. When you get geared up and they start rolling out put me down for one. I hope it will work on a 2012.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:53 PM

That looks like a V1 - don't forget the V2s!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Nice work. I suspect you could do a nicer mounting panel on a 3D printer. Many public libraries now have 3D printers available to the public. Also mounts for the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Versys would be nice.

Just curious what board are you using?

For accurate air tempature display, a really nice thing to have, you need a remote tempature sensor. One you can locate on a spot on the bike that is not heated by the sun or engine and receives a steady flow of unaffected air, maybe attached to a fork leg.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Should work just fine as it still has the 4 pin connector under the seat. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Well done, VERY well done. When you get geared up and they start rolling out put me down for one. I hope it will work on a 2012.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, a 3d printer would be nice to use. Also the UPS stores have them. What I have was a quick mount to fill the area. I will have to get with someone who has gen 2 / 3 to take measurements and figure something out that looks nice.

The Temp probe is digital. currently mounted on back side of display. It is a decent location. Gets air flow but sometimes at lights it gets radiator heat flowing up thru the cowling. Locating it else where is not difficult, just adds wiring and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Nice work. I suspect you could do a nicer mounting panel on a 3D printer. Many public libraries now have 3D printers available to the public. Also mounts for the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Versys would be nice.

Just curious what board are you using?

For accurate air tempature display, a really nice thing to have, you need a remote tempature sensor. One you can locate on a spot on the bike that is not heated by the sun or engine and receives a steady flow of unaffected air, maybe attached to a fork leg.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:59 PM

That's really cool. There is room on either side of the instrument cluster for a display that is a little bit smaller than that one. I understand why you wanted it directly in the line of sight.

I'm no diplomat
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
is really cool.... i dont get why they didnt have the gear indicator and or coolant temp gauge stock...

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Hell of a job on this! But, I would concur regarding the size. I would definitely consider a purchase if there was a cleaner mounting design. Perhaps just a slight height extension above the existing instrument panel to accommodate the additional instrumentation. Overall...bravo!!

Binderline
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:37 PM

Garage
Are you using something like the Raspberry PI for this? If so you could probably turn it into a trip computer and add lots of other cool functionality with some push buttons and writing some additional code. Also bigger/better display would be cool. Other neat things you could implement in software are hour meter, engine revolution counter (similar to hour meter), range remaining with current fuel supply and throttle setting and gear selection; calculated mileage approximation with gear selection and throttle setting (assuming there is not way to get actual fuel flow); blueTooth phone connection (everything is better with blue tooth) and phone app to log/display run time data and/or calibrate unit.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-03-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 PM

very nice product! Congrats!
I'm not looking for a gear indicator, but temp and voltage might do it.
Do you work in aviation? (remove before flight )
I have a 3D printer (small one, 8x8x8in) if I can help you with something for a prototype let me know.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gear indicator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode