I dipped my versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dipped my versys!

2011 maroon/black. I didn't get to the headlight bezel, whoops.. What color kawasaki emblem should I use, orange or white?

I do have some videos of the process, but basically I just cleaned them real well, propped them up on other aerosol cans, and gave them each 4-5 light coats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM

Nice dude looks real cool, stealth fighter. I vote Orange.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 PM

Garage
Orange too.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
White emblems would look cool, like the ZX-11.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 AM

Nice job! I like that murdered out look. Can you get semi-flat black decals to complete the anti-chrome scheme?

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Nice job! I like that murdered out look. Can you get semi-flat black decals to complete the anti-chrome scheme?

Either that or leave it blank!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Looks real nice. A gloss black "Kawasaki" would look sick but if not, go with the orange. White would be too much contrast. A link to the videos would be nice. Also since you have handled that stuff what do you think would happen if you masked an area? When you pull the tape/ mask would it just peel the whole thing?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Looks real nice. A gloss black "Kawasaki" would look sick but if not, go with the orange. White would be too much contrast. A link to the videos would be nice. Also since you have handled that stuff what do you think would happen if you masked an area? When you pull the tape/ mask would it just peel the whole thing?
Nope. It actually holds very well when pulling tape, as kong as you pull the tape while still wet.
I used it to paint the brand logos on my truck. You don't actually have to tape off the letter shapes. Just tape a rectangle on the paint around the letters and spray the paint/letters. Let it sit for a bit then peel the spray paint off your paint and it teaes itself on the letters edges.
I have never done any taping of different sections on a single panel but have talked to people who have. Its very easy to do.
I have sprayed my truck rims and grill black, and every logo on my truck red. Looks pretty nice.
The main part anout the stuff is when you don't want it anymore, hit it with a pressure washer and off it comes. My rims and rear logos will have been done 2 years in june, and still loom great. I redid my front grill/brand logo on grill last summer because of rocks chipping off little bits, and it needs it again this spring.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I have not trimmed the fat off the videos so I haven't uploaded them just yet. I didn't get too into removal, etc, just basic spray techniques and how simple it really is.

I don't think the masking tape would work to tape off a section of plastic to paint. It seems too thick and rubbery, and it would definitely pull up at some spot. You might as well give it a try, though, because it just peels right off anyway!

Gloss black was one of my first thoughts, but I didn't get one. hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Yes, I wanted to initially, and now I'm thinking how awesome it really would look. I could only find decals on ebay, where they are perfect rectangles of acrylic. Does anybody know where to find really high quality or factory decals? They are cut more closely to the shape of the letters than these.

Thanks guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

damn, now I need to get the swinger and those other pieces by the footpegs powdercoated, and get a black exhaust.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 AM

I like it. The flat black integrates all the various Versys parts and surfaces. Kawasaki should hire you. You did better than their designers.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
damn, now I need to get the swinger and those other pieces by the footpegs powdercoated, and get a black exhaust.
The newer Vs that have black swingarms, forks and rear sets really do look great.

Always trust your cape.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
The newer Vs that have black swingarms, forks and rear sets really do look great.
- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 01:01 PM

I did Rustoleum Engine Enamel, Low Gloss Black, on my Honda and got lots of compliments. Your bike looks terrific - the stealth look is great all on its own, and there aren't many bikes that look like it, so it has the "unique" factor going for it too. Nicely done!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:36 AM

Would've preferred chrome-coloured emblem on the matte black background.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Well, THAT didn't take long. Obviously, those pieces are black anyway, I just wanted the uniformity of finish over the whole bike. I also put the decals on. I should've done the black ones, damnit, but next dip I'll mix it up.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 PM

Nice you did Orange on one side white on the other?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
Nice you did Orange on one side white on the other?
Sure did. I couldn't make up my mind on the two, so I did both. Two bikes in one!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Nice look.
My bike is a rattle can black stealth job too. I did keep the tank panels original color though. But all the other panels were silver when I started. I finished with truck bedliner type spray and it's held up pretty well. Why didn't you spray the headlight surround from silver to black to finish the look?

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Nice look.
Why didn't you spray the headlight surround from silver to black to finish the look?
Cause I'm an idiot and I forgot! I will do it, as I have some paint left over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode